PDA

View Full Version : Weird Battery issue

KT
09-06-2009, 8:02 PM
If you saw my bike thread you know what I have in my bike ....

First I have been having a carb issue since I started the finish on this bike a month ago or so ...Always to rich.....Well I was coming home last night and about 2 miles from the house POW no lights bike is dead ...I push the thing home ...Go up today after reading some search results on triumph problems like this ...Saw some talking about the Tympanium and saying when they are not working right you have low HL and TL and some other things....

My bike has never had a real good HL or bright TL..So I changed the Tympanium unit out I have nothing .....So I take a piece of wire and touch the + and - terminals together on the battery nothing ...So I hook a charger to it , tap the terminals to see if i get a spark I get nothing ...I go over to the old dirty dead ass battery in the cb touch the terms together spark ,hook the charger to it test the terms get spark.....

So I take the CB battery hook it up to the trump SOB had a brighter HL and TL then it has ever had ...I kick the bike fires right up and is running lean now.....So I go and get a new wet cell battery fill it hook it up the bike is fireing like it never has the lights are brighter than I would ever imagine them to be on a Trump ......So my question is has anyone had a bad gel sealed battery that was new ? and if so does this sound right for what I had happen......

I bought the battery from steadfast new ..and all I know is the bike has never had correct power ..I see that now ... I just dont know if it will do any good to call and try to get my cash back that sealed battery was like $100 I figure somehow it will be my fault it fried ...you know how it goes....

Torch
09-07-2009, 5:16 AM
If you saw my bike thread you know what I have in my bike ....

First I have been having a carb issue since I started the finish on this bike a month ago or so ...Always to rich.....Well I was coming home last night and about 2 miles from the house POW no lights bike is dead ...I push the thing home ...Go up today after reading some search results on triumph problems like this ...Saw some talking about the Tympanium and saying when they are not working right you have low HL and TL and some other things....

My bike has never had a real good HL or bright TL..So I changed the Tympanium unit out I have nothing .....So I take a piece of wire and touch the + and - terminals together on the battery nothing ...So I hook a charger to it , tap the terminals to see if i get a spark I get nothing ...I go over to the old dirty dead ass battery in the cb touch the terms together spark ,hook the charger to it test the terms get spark.....

So I take the CB battery hook it up to the trump SOB had a brighter HL and TL then it has ever had ...I kick the bike fires right up and is running lean now.....So I go and get a new wet cell battery fill it hook it up the bike is fireing like it never has the lights are brighter than I would ever imagine them to be on a Trump ......So my question is has anyone had a bad gel sealed battery that was new ? and if so does this sound right for what I had happen......

I bought the battery from steadfast new ..and all I know is the bike has never had correct power ..I see that now ... I just dont know if it will do any good to call and try to get my cash back that sealed battery was like $100 I figure somehow it will be my fault it fried ...you know how it goes....

Sounds like you have voltage issues have you checked the running voltage? you should read about 12.6 to 14.2 volts depending on the RPM of the running engine, you may have a bad weak magnet wheel on your stator. don't go spending a bunch of money on a battery the Triumph should run fine without a battery.

KT
09-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Thats my next step is to install a switch so I can turn the HL off during the day and see what my output is now ....I was only getting 11.8 when the dead cell battery was in the bike ...I have a boyer electric ignition installed in the bike and it was always my understanding that they require a really good battery ....

KT
09-07-2009, 9:50 PM
throwed a toggle in to turn off the HL I checked voltage and I am getting 12.8 -13 with or without the HL ..still tuning but seems alot better

Gepetto
09-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey KT I don't have a battery on my t-100 with a boyer and no problems what so ever!! I'm not sure where the "you need a GOOD battery to run a boyer" came from but it is shit! Good luck on the tuning

JL
09-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey KT I don't have a battery on my t-100 with a boyer and no problems what so ever!! I'm not sure where the "you need a GOOD battery to run a boyer" came from but it is shit! Good luck on the tuning

It comes from the fact that a Boyer advances and retards the ignition timing by controlling the supply voltage.
The lower the voltage, the further it advances.
If you put a variable DC power supply and a strobe on a Boyer system and slowly turn down the voltage, you can see it advancing the timing.
On a kick-only bike it's easy to overlook a battery with a cell down - until your pistons melt anyway.

Gepetto
09-07-2009, 10:30 PM
It comes from the fact that a Boyer advances and retards the ignition timing by controlling the supply voltage.
The lower the voltage, the further it advances.
If you put a variable DC power supply and a strobe on a Boyer system and slowly turn down the voltage, you can see it advancing the timing.
On a kick-only bike it's easy to overlook a battery with a cell down - until your pistons melt anyway.

How come Boyer makes a battery eliminator kit to use with their ignition?

JL
09-07-2009, 11:07 PM
How come Boyer makes a battery eliminator kit to use with their ignition?

The Boyer just wants to see 12 volts DC, it doesn't care where it comes from.
The battery eliminator is just a capacitor instead of a battery, all I'm saying is a system which RELIES on a battery needs a good one, with the full 12 volts.

KT
09-08-2009, 3:41 AM
I think it was Britcycle that told me I should run a good battery with the boyer.....I think what happened was the battery never was right and over time it fried my tympanium by making it work to hard trying to level out enough DC power for the bike ....

Torch
09-11-2009, 9:14 AM
The Boyer just wants to see 12 volts DC, it doesn't care where it comes from.
The battery eliminator is just a capacitor instead of a battery, all I'm saying is a system which RELIES on a battery needs a good one, with the full 12 volts.

I have wired up aprox. 50 bikes without a battery and a Boyer ignition, if you have a good alternator any RPM over 900 you will have about 13 to 13,5 volts available to use any way you want to.
We can argue about the no-battery issue forever but I have never burnt a hole in any pistons. if you run a 65 watt headlight you will get low voltage at a 800 RPM idle but how long are you going to sit there at idle anyway.
The shops that insist you need a forklift battery to run a Boyer don't want to get into all the related electrical issues, it is easier for them to just say run a battery.
If you want a system with out a battery it is very easy to do, here are some suggestions to consider. don't do an over kill on the headlight ( 35wt and 50 wt are fine) as for the tail light, give some thought to switching the positive ground to negative ground and running an LED tail light they last forever and draw very little power.(and yes you can order positive ground LEDs too).
The "Boyer light delay" charge system is a great product, it eliminates all the problems.
Just remember if you have a battery and it is drained down below 10 volts, you are not going to start that Boyer bike until you re-charge the battery,every time you kick the engine you are trying to re-charge the battery not power the ignition. if you have a battery eliminator system you can start it any time you spin the motor.

KT
09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Sounds good Im think my HL might be my trouble I am running a halogen light that is really bright and requires maybe to much ...I know a bike without a battery is sooooooo much cleaner and nicer looking ....Guess I just need to do it and see it for myself ....No one really goes over it anywhere that I have found anyways ....There ya go Tyler 102 running no battery successfully =P ....Thanks all for tips and what not ....I am suppose to be getting a old chromed Hunt mag houseing with cap just needs the guts who knows that may end up in it for its over .....

Doing some welding for a buddy and torched out a shock bolt in the straight axle in his 67 chevy van today got a nice pair of SU carbs for the deal too...

Torch
09-11-2009, 2:32 PM
Sounds good Im think my HL might be my trouble I am running a halogen light that is really bright and requires maybe to much ...I know a bike without a battery is sooooooo much cleaner and nicer looking ....Guess I just need to do it and see it for myself ....No one really goes over it anywhere that I have found anyways ....There ya go Tyler 102 running no battery successfully =P ....Thanks all for tips and what not ....I am suppose to be getting a old chromed Hunt mag houseing with cap just needs the guts who knows that may end up in it for its over .....

Doing some welding for a buddy and torched out a shock bolt in the straight axle in his 67 chevy van today got a nice pair of SU carbs for the deal too...

I have never been a fan of the halogen bulbs the are generally draw 65 watts and have this big black spot on the pavement out in front of you where the reflector tab is on the filiment, yes the are brighter to the oncoming traffic but the old incadensent 35/50 watt bulbs are my favorate. I am doing some HID headlights now and they are super bright and only the ballast only draw 35 watts.
Good luck with your stuff on your bike, let me know if you need some help

starwolf
06-04-2011, 8:28 AM
Black box on a TriSpark EI, will feed off of as little as 7.5 Volts , you can also adjust the timing advance & retard to your liking.

Starwolf