PDA

View Full Version : Bending a Jiffy Stand...

GlassBikerNC
10-17-2010, 5:21 PM
Just wondering if any of you have done this, how structurally sound it would be, and possibly how to do this correctly.

I have +4 forks on my bike right now and it leans pretty far but I want to put +6 forks on.

kt313
10-17-2010, 6:23 PM
Just wondering if any of you have done this, how structurally sound it would be, and possibly how to do this correctly.

I have +4 forks on my bike right now and it leans pretty far but I want to put +6 forks on.

i did it on my bik, no issues, had to use a torch thou to get that sumbitch hot and it worked like a dream

GlassBikerNC
10-18-2010, 9:33 AM
Thanks

So the heat will not compromise the strength integrity of the steel?

kt313
10-18-2010, 9:42 AM
no, don't force cool it, let it cool by itself and it should be all good

Nicko
10-18-2010, 4:30 PM
I thought the same thing, but I heat bent a friends kick stand 4 years ago and it still fine-no issues

GlassBikerNC
10-18-2010, 6:16 PM
Thanks guys

I'm lining up what I will be doing for my winter projects on my bike.

MIKE47
10-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Done a ton of them. Heat it up bend it and let it cool really slowly. Remove the spring or it will soften and won't be a spring anymore. :o Don't forget to be ready to stand there and hold it up for 30 minutes or do it next to the wall so you can lean it and walk away.

GlassBikerNC
10-19-2010, 2:25 PM
Done a ton of them. Heat it up bend it and let it cool really slowly. Remove the spring or it will soften and won't be a spring anymore. :o Don't forget to be ready to stand there and hold it up for 30 minutes or do it next to the wall so you can lean it and walk away.

I'm gonna be taking it off of the bike to do this.

I have access to a glass annealing kiln...would it help to put it in this to let it cool slowly?

When annealing glass we have to do the same thing or the glass will crack.

MIKE47
10-19-2010, 3:27 PM
As far as I have knowledge of it isn't that critical. You just don't want to go quenching it. I would say it wouldn't hurt to put it in a there to slow the cooling procedure but it's not nessesary either.

me
10-21-2010, 3:52 PM
I'm glad you posted this...I have been wanting to do this for a while and just never got around to asking...I might just do it this weekend now

greazy
10-21-2010, 6:01 PM
bend it & put it in a bucket of sand it will cool really slow

bwagner
10-21-2010, 8:45 PM
maybe I'm missing something here but wouldn't putting longer forks on require a longer kickstand? I've bent a few of them after lowering bikes, but I was looking for more lean...I'm kind of confused here?

GlassBikerNC
10-22-2010, 5:05 AM
maybe I'm missing something here but wouldn't putting longer forks on require a longer kickstand? I've bent a few of them after lowering bikes, but I was looking for more lean...I'm kind of confused here?

Bending it so it is straighter...or bending it down instead of out.

Can't find a longer one for my bike.