PDA

View Full Version : stupid triumph oiling question..

flatblack34
10-12-2010, 6:23 PM
i'm running my oil lines and i can't find anything on how to tie in the one coming from the underside of the primary..in everything i've looked at i can't even find a reference to it..not on diagrams or anything..does it just tee into the return line?? any info would be helpful as fuck..

Finkit
10-12-2010, 6:30 PM
Under the primary? What year is the engine? Are you talking about the crank case vent?

flatblack34
10-12-2010, 6:38 PM
ya i can't find anything about it..if it is the crankcase vent where does that go?? the bike is a matching numbers 69' bonneville..

flatblack34
10-12-2010, 6:40 PM
it was tied into my oil tank anyway..i spent alot of time studying how to do it properly then when i went to do it i was fuckin confused..

Finkit
10-12-2010, 6:48 PM
You have a vent for your oil tank and a crank case vent #8 in the image, both vent to the atmosphere. mine run together at a T then toward the back of the bike under the frame open to the air, my bike is not stock.

flatblack34
10-12-2010, 6:59 PM
ya it is the crankcase breather vent..i just checked my girlfriends tr6 and it has nothing on it..just ends at the tube..is this a decent way to do it..just leave it??

LinkBelt
10-12-2010, 7:00 PM
Just my thought but it is a vent tube so I may be wrong but I don't think it has to run to anything. If I did run it to something it would be to T it into the return line to the oil tank but it is so hight up on the case I doubt a lot of oil would make it into it. I am building a 68 Triumph Bonny right now check out the build in the main forum titled first build.

LinkBelt
10-12-2010, 7:01 PM
I think just leave it is the way it is suposed to be it is just a vent tube.

flatblack34
10-12-2010, 7:02 PM
will do..are you just gonna leave it not tied into nothing??

LinkBelt
10-12-2010, 7:02 PM
remember a vent not only takes air in but also lets air out meaning it is someplace to let the hot air from the hot oil out.

LinkBelt
10-12-2010, 7:05 PM
I would try leaving it and see how the bike runs or if it blows oil. If not then good if so T it into the return line to the oil tank and see how that does

flatblack34
10-12-2010, 7:05 PM
fuck..thanks guys..

LinkBelt
10-12-2010, 7:06 PM
NP Bro. Anytime.

Finkit
10-12-2010, 7:08 PM
Run a line towards the ground so any blow by will drip on the ground and not all over the cases, its hard to clean up there. DO NOT T to oil return line, it is a vent line

kllrjo
10-12-2010, 8:08 PM
it is a vent and should ideally be run UP the rear fender via a "D" shaped hose,ending at the REAR of the fender by the tag... [and on some models, "T"`d into the final drive chain oiler] this should be run UP as to allow for the oil droplets to run back into the chaincase upon shutdown/idleing...you really shouldnt run it down as it WILL produce some oil and you know where that oil is going to endup, right? on the rear tyre! seen it done [ran straight down] a hunnert times with no real apparent bad effects, but it really should be ran up, youll probably have to refill the chaincase not nearly so often.........

KT
10-12-2010, 8:15 PM
you can but a small filter on it like mine
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1/Morel_Monkey/0712092021b.jpg

Gonzo151p
10-18-2010, 5:16 PM
dont tie it into the return line for your oil or your oil wont get back to the tank properly and will end up going into the bottom end through the intake cam bushing. i think its in v-twin they make a really cool alum canister with a filter on one side and an inlet on the other. that way it breaths and catches the oil.if nothin else just run it back a little ways an youll know where its gonna mark its spot.