PDA

View Full Version : Triumph wont move

JDM
10-11-2010, 7:18 PM
Almost finished with my first ever project. 68 Triumph t100r chop. Haven't fired it up yet, but noticed it won't roll with the clutch lever pulled in any gear, unless its in neutral. It shifts through the gears well enough. I've tried adjusting the clutch in what seems like a million variations. From the top of the gearbox, the handlebar lever, the three clutch springs, and the adjuster in the center of the pressure plate. All with slack in the cable. The plate is lifting, and there is no "wobble" in it when I kick it over. But it just wont move. And the brakes not on. New chainwheel, chain, sprocket, clutch plates, pushrod and clutch accuating mechanism parts. Not sure whats going on. Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, or miss anything before I try and bring this thing back to life. Any suggestions??

LinkBelt
10-11-2010, 7:27 PM
OK so always start with the simple shit first. Remove the chain and check the back wheel spins freely. If not adjust the drum breaks. If it does spin put the chain back on and then check the shift fork in the trans case make sure it didn't move while you were assembling it. It has to be in a certain position or you will have problems. I truly don't think you got a clutch problem. Lets hope it is just the break that needs adjusting and not the shifter fork.

LinkBelt
10-11-2010, 9:51 PM
So I'm lying in bed and suddenly realize what I told you was totally fucked up. One don't take off your chain off your drum and sprocket are one in the same so just try to adjust your rear drum brake and make it loose. Second I said your shift fork and I fucked up again what I meant was your selector fork has to be in a certain position I don't have my manual here so I can't tell you exact position but check this stuff first.

Gonzo151p
10-16-2010, 6:26 PM
Dont know if you found the problem but try puttuin it in neutral pull in the clutch and slowly kick the kickstarter and see if they let go. ive seen this on my own. Cant explain why but i think its a fricton thing. dont forget to take out the spark plugs to let the engine turn easier. If it dont work your only ouy 10 minuits.:cool:

JDM
10-17-2010, 6:31 PM
Actually had some time to check back and try and figure this thing out today. Pulled the transmission and double-checked that the selector forks were in the right positions. Went back together easy..surprisingly, but did the same thing after adjusting. I'll try that kicking thing tomorrow. Thanks

LinkBelt
10-17-2010, 8:10 PM
Also check the cam plate in your Trans In a fresh build it should be between 2nd and 3rd gear if it is a four speed

Gonzo151p
10-18-2010, 5:06 PM
i made a mistake in telling you to take out the spark plugs. leave them in and the engine compression will act as a "brake" and hold the crank still and let the clutchs spin. alot of times if the bike sits even overnight you will experiance this problem. when that glorious day of the first fire comes be sure to do this little thing and it wont slam into gear.:cool:

TRUMPNUT
10-23-2010, 4:42 PM
Sounds like the plates stuck . It only takes one friction to stick to a steal for the clutch to lock up .

TriBob
10-23-2010, 5:48 PM
Sounds like the plates stuck . It only takes one friction to stick to a steal for the clutch to lock up .

I agree with Trumpnut. The clutch plates are just stuck. No big deal. This happens to my 70 Triumph Chopper if it sits for a while. On my bike, I just put it in gear, pull in the clutch and give it a kick. The bike moves about 1 inch then the clutch brakes free. I do this with the ignition off of course. Hope this helps.