PDA

View Full Version : 76 xs650 Build

Heis
09-02-2009, 7:21 PM
Just picked up at 76 xs650 off craigslist the other day. I had been looking around for awhile and finally found one that wasn't a total piece of shit. It runs, but it def needs some work. My goal is to turn it into a rigid bobber this winter. I'll update this as I get further along.

MikeMigs
09-03-2009, 4:42 PM
Nice score! does it run?

Heis
09-04-2009, 8:31 AM
Yea it runs pretty well. There is an issue with the throttle cable but all in all its a solid frame and motor. I am in the process of tearing it down right now trying to see whats what and where I want to go with it. I am already ready to start buying parts for it.

Heis
09-28-2009, 8:38 AM
update. Got the bike stripped down to everything but the motor (thats coming out in the next day or so). I had debated for awhile if I wanted to hardtail it or keep the springs, but for what I was looking for, (and my limited fabrication skills) the hardtail seemed the better choice since I am going to have to send it out to a shop for welding anyways. If i had kept the springs I would have wanted to lower the seat rails. I am learning a lot as I go and hopefully I will be able to find someone in the Northern VA area that will give me some pointers on welding so my next bike (haha yea already planning my next) will have more custom work.

tommybored
09-28-2009, 5:34 PM
thats what my bike looked like kinda want another one to keep stock

Heis
11-05-2009, 11:24 AM
ok here is an update on my progress:

- Sent the frame out and had them drop the seat rails two inches so i could sit lower.
- Installed 11.5 inch shocks (2 inch drop from stock), drag bar, peanut tank
- Rattle canned the wheels, forks, and other misc bits
- installed gators on the front forks

This is going to be a kick only so my next step after I install the headlight is to get a smaller battery and start the wiring process. I have a few other odds and ends to work out, but right now I'm on track with keeping the entire build (including the $ used to purchase the bike) under $1500. It may not be the best looking bike out there but fuck it, its my first build.

JayTucc
11-05-2009, 3:52 PM
Bike looks like its coming along pretty damn good. Let it be a little rough, that what make it look sweet

coachstorms
11-07-2009, 1:45 PM
thats a great start. which shocks did you use?

Heis
11-10-2009, 8:03 AM
I used the black monza traditionals (11.5) from mikesxs. They look good, not sure how they ride yet.

Heis
11-11-2009, 10:27 AM
--update--

laid out the fiberglass for the seat last night. first time doing that so it was a learning process. for the base i used cardboard which i wrapped in duct tape. i put about 5 or 6 layers of fiberglass on it, so it should hold. seat is still a little big cause I just did a rough cut on the edges. i had to make the back part large enough to hold a passenger though so it didn't come out exactly how i wanted.

ill be laying the foam and cover on it sometime this week. I am going to drill holes in the fiberglass and bolt it to existing mounts on the frame.