PDA

View Full Version : HELP! triumph sludge plug

CMA406
09-25-2010, 5:29 PM
well today i tried to take out the sludge trap plug and failed. bad. i followed wes's video, drilled out the little dimple (enough i thought) then drilled the center slotted plug, put an extractor in the hole pretty deep, heated the shit out of it, and when i went to turn it it just snapped off.....FUCK! i tried to redrill it out, but that did not work at all. it now pretty chewed up and im not really sure how the hell im gonna get it out...

anybody have any ideas?
thanks

burndoubt
09-25-2010, 5:58 PM
I have only done this twice, so I am no expert. Here is the best extractors you can use.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-extractors/hex-head-multi-spline-screw-extractors-532-series-plastic-case-sets

They are unbelievably tough. Hard part will be drilling out the old one. Make the biggest hole you can get away with, and when you think you have it hot enough, heat it some more, and use an impact driver. My first one was frustrating as hell. I think your only other option would be to dremel the slot back to straight and get a large flat bladed bit for the impact.

Torch
09-25-2010, 6:58 PM
don't use an extractor, most of the time unless they are at least 1/2" thick they will just break off.
Take a good sharp chisel and lean it in the direction you want to turn the plug , put the tip of the chisel on the slot way up by the threads and give it a "smart" wack with a real big hammer, this should break it loose enough to use a big screw driver to unscrew it.