PDA

View Full Version : 750 SOHC coil options?

MB
09-02-2009, 3:51 AM
Anyone got any suggestions? Tried and tested preferred!
Have been told later model ones - '81 work and have removable leads.
Cheers
Matt

boogieman
09-02-2009, 9:07 AM
I use dyna's. Check out cyclexchange.net for some real bad assed coils. They have some high voltage packs and stuff.

MB
09-02-2009, 9:01 PM
Thanx Boogieman - bit ooota my price range for now. Might have to stick with low mile second hand.......

Rabbit
09-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey man, save up some duckets and buy a power arc ignition from Cycle X...it has an optical pickup, variable timing options and a hell of a coil pack. The Dynas are good, but for a little bit more you can pick up the power arc. I have one and I'd swear by it.

jake
09-10-2009, 12:58 AM
my cycle x ignition and coils are on the way. from what everyone says, they swear by them, and it should improve fuel burn. ill let you know how it goes as soon as i get them on and dialed in. its on sale for the next 5 days for 300. nows the time to pick it up

Rabbit
09-10-2009, 8:47 AM
Jake - if you got the power arc, there is no dialing in...that's the best part. just set the motor to TDC and install. Really simple and runs amazingly. Also, Lowrider Tommy has a reg/rect pack for pretty cheap and worth the update. http://www.lowridersbysummers.com/parts/index.htm near the bottom.

oildevil13
09-10-2009, 9:41 AM
Have either of you... or anyone for that matter used the charging system cycleX has available?
My 750 chop needs something other than stock... because it just doesnt work well enough. Worst part is when the bastard decides to die I cant just pushstart it and haul as like my other bikes. I need the coil packs too... on sale, crap... picked a good week to get laid off, haha

Rabbit
09-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I haven't gotten their charging system. From what I understand though, it's really a horsepower gain and a slight charge improvement. It's probably worth it though, those guys seem to be a the forefront of 750 performance. They keep making cool shit and I'll have to get another job to support my habit.

jake
09-10-2009, 2:13 PM
whiskey, what are you running in your carbs? are they dialed in perfect? if so, can you post the specs in my thread?

sorry, didnt mean to hijack your thread. back to business as usual.

MB
09-11-2009, 5:44 AM
Thanx everyone - ordered a lowering kit off em and should be hear monday.
I'm one a pretty tight budget - would definately get the cycle x kit but...
I've been told bol'dor ones work good?
Just wondered if anyone had run later model coils I suppose and if they worked better/same.
Thanx again
Matt

shop102
09-11-2009, 9:13 AM
i dont know about them optical pickups. the magnetic ones are the ticket. go with dyna

hellbilly1932
09-11-2009, 9:51 AM
you can run harley coils also, I'm actually running one honda DOHC coil and one harley coil right now

Rabbit
09-11-2009, 10:58 AM
i dont know about them optical pickups. the magnetic ones are the ticket. go with dyna

The optical pickups are actually more accurate than the magnetic, with magnetic your timing can vary +/- 3 degrees or so, the optical is dead on. Really it comes down to semantics. They are both major improvements over stock, just depends on how far you're gonna go with the motor build.

shop102
09-11-2009, 11:58 AM
you have a point there. when i was racing 350's i used a crank mounted dyna w/ mag p/u. worked great. alot of guys didnt like the optical. just an opinion..........i have heard they are like assholes!!!

MB
09-12-2009, 5:28 AM
OK - thank you all for your input?
Will stick with the advice from the whino up at the local - he reckons 81 model coils work a treat.
Removable leads, better build quality/materials/reliability.
Will let you know how they go...
Chairs
Mort