PDA

View Full Version : My A65/triumph frame build

Nono
09-17-2010, 11:17 AM
This is my first real build and I am finally making progress after years of sitting on this motor and countless frame/tank/wheel changes.
The motor is an A65L and has been rebuilt, bored .040 over with Hepolite pistons, a boyer system and Mikuni carbs. I decided to use a Triumph frame because I think it's much more pleasing to the eye than the BSA. It's got a 6" over BCS bolt on tail section and I haven't decided between a 2" under, stock Triumph front end or a bitchin' Harley I-Beam springer I've been stashing for awhile.
Shaun of Shorty Machine Co. did the major frame mods (check out his blog, shortymachineco.blogspot.com. The kid's good!) He hacked up the frame and engine cases to make it all work.
Still lots of decisions to make (ie. tank, wheels, oil bag, bars, etc.) and tons of work to do. I'll keep posting as I make progress if anyone's interested.

Speedfiend
09-17-2010, 5:20 PM
I'm with ya on the frame. Alot of hard tailed BSA frames don't look quite right. It can be done right(ously), but alot aren't. IMHO I like the lines of a Triumph frame a little better.

Looks good so far. Keep rockin' and get that thing rollin'.

Bret
09-18-2010, 7:51 AM
Is the A65 a BSA motor?

Speedfiend
09-18-2010, 8:41 AM
Is the A65 a BSA motor?

Yup, The A50/A65 s are the unit cons. BSA engines we lovenly refer to as "Power Eggs" or "Super Eggs"

Bret
09-18-2010, 9:16 AM
Thanks for the info. My BSA knowledge doesn't go past British bike and once owned by Triumph.

fatass
09-21-2010, 2:08 PM
I'll be watching this thread! Kick ass, man...the forks are a tough call. I'm partial to girders on a Brit bike, but the I-beams are as magical as Doug Henning licking a unicorn's ass.

Nono
09-21-2010, 6:38 PM
I-beams are as magical as Doug Henning licking a unicorn's ass.

And that sir, is a magical thing.

Nono
09-21-2010, 6:42 PM
The more I look at it, the more I think it needs a shorter rear section. Anyone have a 2" over tail they want to trade for a 6"?

fozz
09-21-2010, 7:58 PM
should look sweet when the wheels in there , just looks a bit empty a the mo

Nono
09-22-2010, 8:28 AM
Yeah, still finishing up the metalwork on the frame, then I'll start piecing it together.

fatass
10-15-2010, 4:40 AM
You've had enough time. Post more pics or the moderators said they'd delete you or something...I need to live vicariously through others since I can't get my lazy ass out to work on mine.

Nono
10-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Just got it home from Shaun's shop. I have a lot of work to do before it's pic worthy. Gonna remove the cross member tube chingadera thingy and replace it with a gusset to allow more room for the valve cover to be removed and the head steady. Sending off my fork tubes today to get cut down -2". Also need to shave off some of the extra tabs. Still trying to figure out how to mount the mid controls since Trump and BSA are so different. I have some time next week to tear into it so keep your eyes peeled.

dilligaf
10-15-2010, 1:07 PM
I also want more pics. Power Eggs rock!