PDA

View Full Version : Biltwell seat pan & hinge

ch6551
09-01-2009, 9:42 PM
So I'm knee deep in a seat install on my 08xl and I am having a real difficult time finding a good looking way to mount the seat pan spring pirches. The springs fall too close together to hit the frame horns and too far back to hit the cross section. Ive toyed with the idea of a piece of round stock bent to arch over the fender but the seat sat too high for my taste, and i made a set brackets out of 1/8" plate to get closer to the fender but I dont think it looks that cool.

I've spent a lot of time searching the internet for Biltwell seats on newer xl's and all i can find are ones that use no springs.

Any pics out there of late model swing arm sporties with biltwell seat pans?

This is my mock up
http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/1000/435/5562.jpg
Hinge mounting location
http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/1000/435/5559.jpg
Under seat view
http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/1000/435/5561.jpg

BigDawg
09-01-2009, 9:50 PM
No springs...you've already got suspension.

MrCrown
09-01-2009, 9:57 PM
the springs are totally counterproductive to the work spent on making a set of pipes that looks pretty good.

not to mention, springs on that swingarm bike are redundant???

ch6551
09-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I have struts that are soon to be installed

ChoppyGee
09-01-2009, 10:34 PM
its your bike do what you like but I would mount that seat solid and sell those struts to some other poor schmuck and let him break his back. this weekend I rode a sporty with a sprung seat and struts and I rode a ridgid frame with a solid seat.I would pick the totally ridgid scoot anyday. after riding the struts I felt like I needed one of those teeter hang-ups my sping felt fucked. I think someone somewhere on here said true hardtails have a certain amount of give and I would concur.

There's a difference between Hardcore and stupid

P.S. Where did you hide the ECM? Looks mega clean nicely done.

SportsterMike
09-01-2009, 11:09 PM
its your bike do what you like but I would mount that seat solid and sell those struts to some other poor schmuck and let him break his back. this weekend I rode a sporty with a sprung seat and struts and I rode a ridgid frame with a solid seat.I would pick the totally ridgid scoot anyday. after riding the struts I felt like I needed one of those teeter hang-ups my sping felt fucked. I think someone somewhere on here said true hardtails have a certain amount of give and I would concur.

There's a difference between Hardcore and stupid

P.S. Where did you hide the ECM? Looks mega clean nicely done.

*shrugs* i have the hard struts and i like em. no problems on my back either, and we have some shit roads here in NM. just have to avoid the rough spots....or stand up on the pegs when you cant....to call someone a schmuck for liking something i think is a foul. 3 other guys i ride with ride with the struts, no complaints. you just need to know how to ride with them i guess.

once i scrape up the $$ i want to do the hard tail kit though...just have the itch to cut/weld...... anyway..

im not a fan of the spring seat on a hard strutted bike or spring seat on a bike with rear suspension.. just doesnt look right imo... but thats the great thing. its just my opinion.

OP:

have you checked out xl forums? maybe they have a way they did it. with the biltwell seat.

choppygee: you can hide the ECM like this...

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=482796

ch6551
09-02-2009, 7:26 AM
Yep, I've been all over the xlforum. Almost every spring seat is a bolt on from licks cycles.

boogieman
09-02-2009, 9:05 AM
Looks like you're gonna have to fab up some type of mount... I don't see an easy way to do it.

Motorradfahrer
09-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Looks like you're gonna have to fab up some type of mount... I don't see an easy way to do it.

Seconded. Don't think you're going to be able to have anything line up without doing a little fab work but sounds as if you've already come to that conclusion. I believe most people who mount solo seats on swing arm Sporties don't use seat springs because it seems a bit unnecessary. However, I guess you could argue that in the 50s Harley did make Sporties with shocks and the seat had it's own suspension.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/MotorcycleMonkey/1959xlchright.jpg

ashy
09-02-2009, 8:57 PM
your bike looks sick man, nice work. a quick question for you, how did you mount up the seat hinge? did you weld it on?

KingPynn
09-03-2009, 5:12 AM
have you thought of moving your hinge closer to the gas tank. thats may help getting your springs off the fender and get that lower ridign positon. its a pain in the ass grinding the weld off but if thats all you can do. bike gonna look tops

GrayMitchell
09-03-2009, 7:41 AM
Lay that seat on the rails....ditch the springs and struts.

ch6551
09-03-2009, 7:16 PM
your bike looks sick man, nice work. a quick question for you, how did you mount up the seat hinge? did you weld it on?

thanks man, and ya it was tack welded in the pic. i broke the weld off and put my stock seat back on for now. nothin i came up with actually looked good... and i was itchin to ride with my new pipes.

mikeymac
09-23-2009, 4:04 PM
lose the springs, keep the strut idea. ride ridgit!!!

wardan123
09-23-2009, 8:26 PM
I like the look of the brown seat on your bike.

I'd adjust the seat forward so the springs rest on the area you've already stripped the paint from. (I know that limits the adjustability of your seat.) I'd drill a hole, thread it and use red loctite to secure a stainless bolt (with a nut on it) in it, grind the bolt's head off, back the nut off to clear the threads, spray paint that bitch black, mount the seat and ride somewhere to show those cool pipes off.

Cheers,

busfreak
09-23-2009, 8:58 PM
Leave the springs out. The motor company is making a cool kit that mounts the seat like the cross bones bike.

billdozer
09-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Generally I think a bike with a swingarm needs a rigid seat but of course there are many exceptions to that rule. The idea of moving the seat bracket forward makes sense. I think the rear tank mount makes that seemingly impossible, but I have seen one where the tank mount was opened up to allow the seat mount to go through it and attach to the frame. Putting rubber bumpers or hard mounting the rear of the seat is one more solution to the seat spring idea.