PDA

View Full Version : pos. ground triumphs

unit650
09-08-2010, 10:02 PM
to anyone who has a pos ground trump. and also has low batt. issues i found that if you look at the diagram from rask the reg. rectofier is wired the same in ither neg or pos gnd. the mor i looked at it i seen where my batt. was being drained so my son and i tried a little trick i wired a toggle switch in line with one of the leads coming from the reg. and placed the volt meeter on it an found out when i turned the switch on i had a drain , when i turned it off the batt. started building back up , that was a year ago , befor then i couldnt get 6 mo. from a batt. as you all know those gell cell batt. are pricy. any way just food for thought.

Coco
09-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Switch or not, you're still getting a power drain that should not be there.

Torch
09-09-2010, 5:31 PM
there should not be any currant draw across the wires going to the rectifier/regulator unit. if there is then the diode bridge inside the rectifier is shorted.
disconnect everything (all your wires going to the bike) except the leads going to the charge box and do a currant test again.
Positive or negative ground makes no difference.

TigerChris
09-09-2010, 6:06 PM
To check for parasitic draw: Turn everything off, remove either + or - from battery. Put your multi meter on AMPS. Place lead between the removed wire and the terminal you removed it from.
Observe current draw. If current draw is present, unplug devices one at a time until draw ceases.