PDA

View Full Version : Coils

justice66
09-01-2010, 8:50 PM
I am building a 71 triumph tiger and am looking a getting a new set of ignition coils. Who makes a good coil for Triumph. I kinda want to stay away from China coils. I would like to get a couple good quality coils

Torch
09-02-2010, 9:01 AM
I am building a 71 triumph tiger and am looking a getting a new set of ignition coils. Who makes a good coil for Triumph. I kinda want to stay away from China coils. I would like to get a couple good quality coils
If you are planning on doing an ignition upgrade then think about going to an electronic ignition and if you do that you can save money by using a single, dual lead coil. I recommend the Pazon ignition and use an Emgo coil with it.

KustomJeff
09-02-2010, 9:19 AM
I'm still running points and love them. Because of this I can run a stock points fired Sportster coil. It looks better and works great. The bike sat for 3 years while I recovered from a broken leg and then taking forever to get back around to the bike. After all this time, I added the new coil to the mix, properly wired the bike and the damn thing fired on the VERY FIRST kick . I love points because I don't worry about the damn battery. If it dies, just disconnect it and kick the bike over. Good luck with it!
Later...

Torch
09-02-2010, 9:28 AM
we do most of our electronic ignitions without a battery, and then there is no point gap, or dirty points or re-timing to worry about.

TigerChris
09-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I like analogue boyer, and a harley 4 ohm wasted spark coil best 150 bucks you could spend on your triumph

justice66
09-02-2010, 8:58 PM
Got a website where i can order that chris?

Torch
09-02-2010, 10:29 PM
there are a a bunch of advantages of the Pazon over the Boyer, first the Boyer has a default low voltage setting of full advance and uses voltage to retard the timing,and no battery bikes have no voltage until they are running .
the Pazon was developed by ex Boyer employees that corrected this problem by devoloping a system of full digital advancing system the begins at full retarded timing, this is especially good on no-battery bikes that have a tendency to kick back while starting and Boyer's go into full advance at idle when the voltage is reduced.
the Boyer will not run correctly at a voltage under 10.5 volts, the Pazon operates fine as low as 8 volts, the Boyer mark 4 has a nasty habbit of complete failure when the charging system has an AC leakage of .2 volts.

For the last 20 years I have used Boyer ignitions and swore by them, but I have switched to the Pazon and Tri-spark ignitions since we have had several failures of the mark 4 Boyers. The Boyer's now come with a "Warning" and instructions about testing the charging circuit and failure to do so voids the warranty. the mark 4 was supposed to be an improvement in the spark signal so you can use 12 volt coils don't have to use 6vt. coils on high performance engines. The Pazon has corrected all the problems that Boyer's have and is now the preferred ignition of the racing circuit.
And they are cheaper at $135 retail compared to the Boyer at $149
we install 2 or 3 ignitions each week at our shop and we prefer the Pazon over the Boyer.

osidebarrel
09-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Damn im sold on Pazon! Sounds like a very well thought out system, im willing to give it a go.......and may i just add.....POINTS??? Really? If your happy with that try an electronic setup youll be ecstatic