PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Rod Fitting

Pete
09-01-2010, 5:54 AM
Need some tech help guys, doing a complete overhaul on my 1966 BSA A65 Hornet:

When grinding the crankshaft connecting rod journals down to .010" under, what are the steps to "fit" the new connecting rod bearings?

What do you guys recommend the clearance to be between the ground crank journals and the new rod bearings?

Also, what is the recommended procedure for "fitting" the connecting rod small end bushings to the wrist pins? Hone?

Any advise/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!

Torch
09-02-2010, 9:10 AM
Need some tech help guys, doing a complete overhaul on my 1966 BSA A65 Hornet:

When grinding the crankshaft connecting rod journals down to .010" under, what are the steps to "fit" the new connecting rod bearings?

What do you guys recommend the clearance to be between the ground crank journals and the new rod bearings?

Also, what is the recommended procedure for "fitting" the connecting rod small end bushings to the wrist pins? Hone?

Any advise/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!
I believe the actual clearance is listed in the factory repair manual, but you will need an accurate inside bearing measurement under proper torque or if you find some Plast-a-gauge still available but the "rod fall procedure" is more like a hand fitment issue, and yes, you can hone the wrist pin bushings, there are several other hand fit clearances throughout the engine, I would highly recommend you buy Wes White's CD on engine building. they are available through many retailers, :Lowbrow customs has them in stock and on listed Ebay,
this CD will answer many of your questions and save you countless hours of frustration.

Pete
09-02-2010, 9:58 AM
Torch,
thanks. Yeah, I've been meaning to buy the DVD, just went to the Lowbrow site and order it. Thanks for the input!

Torch
09-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Torch,
thanks. Yeah, I've been meaning to buy the DVD, just went to the Lowbrow site and order it. Thanks for the input!
No problem, good luck with your project.