PDA

View Full Version : So-Cal Virgin

shanebo
08-31-2010, 8:09 AM
So I am an East Coaster til I die, Fuck Cali...hate hate hate...Blah blah blah.
We all know where all the cool shit is and I am finally going to see some of it.
I have never been to So-Cal, but I am headed there next week for 6 days of actual vacation...not a work trip.
I've got a few things lined up that I want to do like a couple of shops, Petersen Museum, Hollywood, etc.

Anybody got any ideas for a ChopCulter from FLA and his ol' lady?
I know there is a thousand things I should see but what are your favorite spots?
Shops, stores, bars, shows, restaurants, etc.
Looking forward to any input from fellow CC'rs

Also looking forward to alot of of hate comments since I normally don't have serious posts.
Thanks.

grandpab
08-31-2010, 8:44 AM
Try the waterfront in San Diego. Go to the Maritime Museum and visit the old ships tied up there then on to the USS Midway which is a vintage aircraft carrier that is open to the public. Sometime in the day stop at one of the great seafood restaurants along the waterfront near the museum.

Fredo
08-31-2010, 8:50 AM
So Cal is kind of vauge. WHere in SO Cal are you visiting?

SICKLEBOY
08-31-2010, 8:59 AM
check this stuff out....
- glorysales.com
- garagecompany.com
- soapplant.com so much stuff and great books and art you'll lose your mind!
- pinkshollywood.com best chillie dog around!
- Bob’s Coffee & Doughnuts & Charlie’s Coffee Shop in the Farmers Market hot and CHEAP!
- swingersdiner.com waitresses are HOT but I'm not sure about cheap lol open all night I think...
- tiki-ti.com ALCOHOL!

Canada LOVES California!

Revelator
08-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Universal city walk if You have cash to spend.....
http://www.citywalkhollywood.com/index.html
the Universal amphitheater is located there, Seats can be pricey, but there are usually scalpers there,
I have many times scored cheap tickets, best I ever did was $10 to see iron maiden. Also, the Hard rock cafe
is in there as well, Movies, Eateries, including Pinks dogs.

willythepirate
08-31-2010, 12:48 PM
yeah where in so cal? its about the size of some east coast states.....

BlueCollarMoto
08-31-2010, 3:19 PM
check this stuff out....
- glorysales.com
- garagecompany.com
- soapplant.com so much stuff and great books and art you'll lose your mind!
- pinkshollywood.com best chillie dog around!
- Bob’s Coffee & Doughnuts & Charlie’s Coffee Shop in the Farmers Market hot and CHEAP!
- swingersdiner.com waitresses are HOT but I'm not sure about cheap lol open all night I think...
- tiki-ti.com ALCOHOL!

Canada LOVES California!

If ya go to Pinks be sure to get the union Rings!
A big +1 on the Garage co!

SMChewy
08-31-2010, 3:23 PM
If ya go to Pinks be sure to get the union Rings!
A big +1 on the Garage co!

I'm planning a week long vacation at Garage Co next year. Then a couple days around the area. Ha ha ha. I hear they got so much cool shit you could spend a month in that place.

r757rob
08-31-2010, 5:07 PM
Primer Nationals - Sept 4-5!
El Camino Cycel Swap should not be missed! Sept 18!

Allen
08-31-2010, 7:17 PM
Primer Nationals - Sept 4-5!
El Camino Cycel Swap should not be missed! Sept 18!

Right there.

Old Gold Garage party in Ventura Sept. 5th.

San Pedro area Century Motorcycles

LAX area Garage Co. or you will shoot yourself later, I promise.

... I promise.

Hooligan80
08-31-2010, 7:36 PM
Hit up Mel's Diner in Hollywood.

Here you go:

http://www.motorcyclemonster.com/events/state-California.html

shanebo
08-31-2010, 8:57 PM
Yeah, I guess So-Cal is a little vague.
We will be in LA most of our trip.
Hanging with some friends and getting tattooed in Riverside/Moreno Valley area.
Definitely hitting up Garage Company.
Probably also Barris Kustoms.
I have based much of my life, interests, and style off of the California way of life.
From choppers to hotrods to lowriders to skateboarding to gangster rap to punk to surfing...etc.

Its where all the cool shit is born and I am looking for that history lesson.

By the way...You had me at "chili-dog".

HFMC
08-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Try the waterfront in San Diego. Go to the Maritime Museum and visit the old ships tied up there then on to the USS Midway which is a vintage aircraft carrier that is open to the public. Sometime in the day stop at one of the great seafood restaurants along the waterfront near the museum.

If you do make it down to San Diego to check out the waterfront, there are two bars right there in Little Italy I'd recommend. "The Waterfront" is a San Diego landmark. Cool bar with great bar food. Aero Club is kind of a local bar that's also been around forever. No food there, but definitely worth the time to see. Anyone should be able to direct you to both of them.

SICKLEBOY
09-01-2010, 12:14 AM
-FAT BURGER ! this location in perticular ,for some reason better than others I've tried...1611 N. Vermont Ave. (& Hollywood) Thats spittin distance from Glory Utility and the Soap plant store ( can actually see them from there) and if your in the mood for more without leaving that area...

- www.fred62.com great place open late probably see some stars there lol, saw the guy that played Bud Bundy on married with children lol OH and BECK and GWEN Stefani and ...order the BREADED CAPTAIN CRUNCHY !

- 8 Ball 3806 W Magnolia Blvd Burbank, CA 91505 if your into that whole vintage rockabilly tiki thing...

OH AND ...!

- www.micelisrestaurant.com This place is CLASSIC Hollywood ! Kennedy and Monroe ate there when he was elected president ( but not sworn in yet ) the owner ( Mr Miceli) used to have a table in front of the stage reserved for him when Frank Sinatra and his buddies played in the area...Dean used to stop in all the time ! this place rules!
Have fun and take pictures!

Hooligan80
09-01-2010, 4:34 AM
Yeah, I guess So-Cal is a little vague.
We will be in LA most of our trip.
Hanging with some friends and getting tattooed in Riverside/Moreno Valley area.
Definitely hitting up Garage Company.
Probably also Barris Kustoms.
I have based much of my life, interests, and style off of the California way of life.
From choppers to hotrods to lowriders to skateboarding to gangster rap to punk to surfing...etc.

Its where all the cool shit is born and I am looking for that history lesson.

By the way...You had me at "chili-dog".

Where yo getting tattooed at?

shanebo
09-01-2010, 6:35 AM
Thanks guys.
Thats exactly what I needed.

I will be getting tattooed in my hotel room, friend of a friend kinda thing.
If not, open to tattoo shop suggestions as well.

Fat Burger..indeed, as well as In n Out.
I'm a sucker for food we don't have over here, especially burgers.

hellbilly1932
09-01-2010, 9:48 AM
If you make it to San Diego, hit the Tower Bar and then go upstairs and get tattooed by Dewayne at Tower Tattoo

MegaDON666
09-01-2010, 11:46 AM
How about Phillipes, for the best French Dip, its across the Central Station and walking distance from Lil Mexico and korea town.

SICKLEBOY
09-01-2010, 12:25 PM
TWO WORDS...
OLVERA STREET!
Some of the best food I've ever tasted in my life!

rustrocket84
09-01-2010, 2:09 PM
Thanks guys.

If the hotel room thing falls short, try Black Iris in Fontana. The owner is D. Silva. I have a few pieces that he did for me going back to 13 or 14 years ago. Good work and super laid back guy. Also Soul Expressions in Temecula. Dan Adair is the owner and cool as shit too.

24Cycles
09-02-2010, 2:53 AM
If you want awesome food and a show in Buena Park go to Medieval Times. Not to expensive and the food is awesome! I love dives, tat shops, all kinds of crap but that joint when you walk into the castle the 1st thing you see is a huge bar!
Get drunk look at cool medieval stuff then watch a show well eating with your hands rocks. Especially the Dragons soup my lord! lol Do the basic package with no extras. There isnt a bad seat in the house in my opinion so why pay more bucks.

Hooligan80
09-02-2010, 5:04 AM
Thanks guys.

Hit me up when you get out here,I know a lot of top shops. I'll message you with my number.

Bret
09-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Tommy's for chili cheese fries! Oh and if you make it down to Little Tokyo there's a great bookstore called Kinokuniya. Tons of cool bike magazines from Japan.

Allen
09-03-2010, 2:29 AM
Tommy's for chili cheese fries! Oh and if you make it down to Little Tokyo there's a great bookstore called Kinokuniya. Tons of cool bike magazines from Japan.

Yep, but the magazines turn over at about $15 a pop. Still, you ain't going to find them much places else. Be prepared for traffic. Get outta Riverside at least one day while you are hear and hit the coast. If you make it to Garage Co., like I said you better, and bring a camera - you'll shoot a 100 pictures and only capture a small percentage of the glory in that place, then drive one block south and one block over the freeway to Randy's donuts and get yourself a celebrity picture you yourself in front of a so cal landmark.

blacklistVISUAL
09-03-2010, 3:25 AM
Get out of Riverside.
Hit The Griddle on sunset for a hangover breakfast. I think someone else mentioned Swingers... pretty good, too.
Eat dinner at El Compadre in Echo Park. Then walk across the street to The Shortstop, get drunk and play Elvis pinball until you're out of quarters... hint: it doesn't tilt... get competitive. Full contact pinball and scotch --- that's a good night.
Score some blow and stay up all night, preferably at The Olive Motel on Sunset. Los Feliz has a bunch of hip little bars... just wander around til one sound good. Go to Home for breakfast or brunch... or, better yet, drive out to Santa Monica Pier in the morning, hang out under the walk, throw tortilla chips at seagulls. Get breakfast at Jinky's a couple blocks off the beach.
Head back inland to Culver City, check out BLK/MRKT Gallery. Get a drink at the downstairs bar at The Culver Hotel and sit in itty-bitty seats from the Wizard of Oz munchkins. Drive around aimlessly. Take the 5 to San Diego... stop in Oceanside and get a beer by the ocean. I can't remember names, but there's a slew of shitty sports bars full of douchebags runnin' a few blocks off the beach.
Eventually you should make it to San Diego. Check out Sushi Deli... some nights they've got a roll and a Sapporo for $5. Wander the gaslamp district while heavily intoxicated. Catch a trolley to Tijuana. Score more blow. Drink way too much. Catch a floor show then go fend off sloppy kisses from possible high school girls at shitty dance clubs. Get out before 2AM or you're in it to win it.

Or, at least, that's what I've heard that someone should do in Lo-Cal.

shanebo
09-03-2010, 7:00 AM
^^PERFECT^^

You had me at "score some blow"
Joking...but I am having a buddy with a medical license get me some treats.

socal
09-04-2010, 7:44 PM
Wear all red and go check out the Watts Towers in south central LA. ...Just kidding. Bobs big boy in burbank fri nights.... Garage co. for sure..... Peterson museum .... Bring your skate and check out the venice skatepark...super rad...alot of rad bars in the echo park, silverlake area. great bar on the corner or 4th and main in the heart of downtown LA called Bar 107...place gets going around 10.....Take a drive up our coast line..its pretty nice.

shanebo
09-10-2010, 9:38 PM
Made it back in one piece.
I take back all shit talking I have ever done about about the West Coast, more importantly,
the people of the West Coast.
Everyone we encountered was super-rad (except the dickwad that works at Glory Sales)

Thanks for all the tips and advice fellas.
We saw...
Petersen Museum
Powerplant
Exile
Barris Kustoms
So Cal Speed Shop
Garage Company
Venice Beach
Malibu
Marina Del Ray
In-n-Out
and a crazy ass book store in Little Tokyo where I bought the most expensive magazines ever.
and most importantly some old friends and new friends.

Also, the whole "medical marijuana" issue out there blows my fucking mind.

And a word of advice to other first timers...
Don't smuggle stuff in your suitcase after eating weed cookies...
...paranoia is no good in an airport.
I'll post pics one day.

onigoroshi
09-10-2010, 10:27 PM
no jumbo's clown room?

Allen
09-10-2010, 10:36 PM
no jumbo's clown room?

What we do is secret.

Torch
09-12-2010, 8:30 AM
the NHRA museum at the Pomona fair grounds is worth seeing

Allen
09-14-2010, 3:07 PM
"One Day" is here. Share yourself openly.

Bret
09-14-2010, 4:28 PM
and a crazy ass book store in Little Tokyo where I bought the most expensive magazines ever.

We told ya that place was AWESOME!

shanebo
09-15-2010, 4:22 PM
Flying into L.A.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/leadfist01/DSC_1134.jpg

The Egyptian at Petersen Museum
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/leadfist01/DSC_1275.jpg

Coolest shop and coolest guy ever. I got a ton more pics of this place.
Powerplant Choppers
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/leadfist01/DSC_1338.jpg

Barris Kustoms. George Barris is old and his son wanted nothing to do with the HATE FACTORY stickers that I gave him.
"we don't do HATE around here" ....totally gay.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/leadfist01/DSC_1383.jpg

Exile. Russ Mitchell keeps a very very clean shop.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/leadfist01/DSC_1391.jpg

So Cal Speed Shop. Lots of stuff going on here. Jimmy Shine is too cool for pictures, though.
His grommet showed us around and was super nice.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/leadfist01/DSC_1522.jpg

Garage Company. What can I say? A wet dream come true.
A vintage motorcycle thrift store. Everything you want and more.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/leadfist01/DSC_1600.jpg

Kools store in Little Tokyo.
All the rad American stuff back from Japan
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/leadfist01/DSC_1618.jpg

I took about 500 pics in 6 days so I'll put the rest up on my blog...
hatefactoryusa.blogspot.com
....one day.
Thanks to everyone on this board for the suggestions.