PDA

View Full Version : Trump barn find. Some questions.

SMChewy
08-23-2010, 5:59 PM
I have been offered the chance to pick up a old Trump that has been sitting in a barn for 20 years. I did some work for a buddy, and all he could tell me is when he was little his dad used to rip around the farm on this cool triumph. It quit running and they stashed it at his uncles house. He has no clue what model or year it is, but from how he described it, it sounds like a scrambler style bike. Just want to know what to look for to identify it, and if there is any reason I may want to pass the deal. I will be getting it for next to nothing, but have never messed with one. Just wanna know what to look for/watch out for. I know all about the Lowbrow videos, and will be getting them I'm sure if I can use them for this model. Thanks in advance.
Cory

Sighless
08-23-2010, 6:15 PM
Hahahaaaa Dude I just posted a thread about buying a Triumph! I have no idea what to look for; but I will follow this thread closely!

SMChewy
08-23-2010, 6:48 PM
Hahahaaaa Dude I just posted a thread about buying a Triumph! I have no idea what to look for; but I will follow this thread closely!

Ha ha. I saw that. From the sounds of this one, his dad is willing to give it to me if I rebuild it. He said it still turns over, so it's not seized, they just had no clue and set it aside and forgot about it.

KT
08-23-2010, 7:18 PM
Look at the numbers on either the engine or the frame neck if it is a 650 it could be a t120 a tr6 this is the 650 models that are most common a t140 a tr7 is the 750 OIF models most commonly found ....or a t100 which would be a 500 ...You can easily tell a 500 from a 650 just by looking at how close the kicker shaft is to the shift lever there is hardly no space between these on a 500 ...Look at head fins rocker fins jug fins for cracked or broken fins ...If it turns over pull a plug and put your finger over the hole while turning it over see if it has compression or take a compression tester would be better...shift through the gears see how the transmission feels pretty much basic stuff you would do to any bike ....

If it is cheap and pretty much all there you can't go wrong even if you part it out or resell it ...

Sighless
08-23-2010, 7:27 PM
Ha ha. I saw that. From the sounds of this one, his dad is willing to give it to me if I rebuild it. He said it still turns over, so it's not seized, they just had no clue and set it aside and forgot about it.

Dude, get it! I love Triumphs, restore it!

SMChewy
08-23-2010, 7:27 PM
Look at the numbers on either the engine or the frame neck if it is a 650 it could be a t120 a tr6 this is the 650 models that are most common a t140 a tr7 is the 750 OIF models most commonly found ....or a t100 which would be a 500 ...You can easily tell a 500 from a 650 just by looking at how close the kicker shaft is to the shift lever there is hardly no space between these on a 500 ...Look at head fins rocker fins jug fins for cracked or broken fins ...If it turns over pull a plug and put your finger over the hole while turning it over see if it has compression or take a compression tester would be better...shift through the gears see how the transmission feels pretty much basic stuff you would do to any bike ....

If it is cheap and pretty much all there you can't go wrong even if you part it out or resell it ...

Your the man! I understand the basics. Just wanted to make sure there isn't anything like "Don't get a 71, they did this that year" , or "don't get a 500, you can't find parts at all"kinda shit, you know? But if they are all similar, then great. As I mentioned it will probably free or maybe a couple hundred bucks, so I kinda figured I can't go wrong. They said it is complete and exactly as it sat the last day it ran. He seemed to think charging system or something went out. Hoping to go look Thursday if I can get a throttle sleeve for my Sporty by then. I will take my camera and post some pics. Thanks KT!

CMA406
08-23-2010, 9:28 PM
Your the man! I understand the basics. Just wanted to make sure there isn't anything like "Don't get a 71, they did this that year" , or "don't get a 500, you can't find parts at all"kinda shit, you know? But if they are all similar, then great. As I mentioned it will probably free or maybe a couple hundred bucks, so I kinda figured I can't go wrong. They said it is complete and exactly as it sat the last day it ran. He seemed to think charging system or something went out. Hoping to go look Thursday if I can get a throttle sleeve for my Sporty by then. I will take my camera and post some pics. Thanks KT!

SHIT i gotta 71'..... hahaha just playin....

SMChewy
08-23-2010, 9:33 PM
SHIT i gotta 71'..... hahaha just playin....

Oh no! Your fucked man!!!!! Ha ha ha

BGRYN
08-23-2010, 9:47 PM
Get it man!

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Get some pics.
You should see if they will take CC miles.

SMChewy
08-24-2010, 2:54 PM
Damnit!!! He called the uncle who's place it's stored at, and it turns out to be a Yamaha. Ha ha ha. Oh well. Still gonna go check it out. Hopefully it's a XS650 at least, and more complete than mine to give to my brother for his build. Sorry guys. Mods, feel free to delete!