PDA

View Full Version : noob question...whats the idea behind wheel bearing spacers?

punkin
08-11-2010, 4:50 PM
im takin apart a front wheel and im just curious...anyone know what the point is?

number1son
08-11-2010, 5:11 PM
To space the front wheel so it doesn't wobble.

PanShovelGeo
08-11-2010, 5:16 PM
im takin apart a front wheel and im just curious...anyone know what the point is?

I thought the spacer between the bearing in the wheel is to protect the bearing under side load to keep them from getting damaged or moving in.

number1son
08-11-2010, 5:23 PM
I had get a thicker inner spacer for my wheel because I could wiggle the wheel side to side a slight amount.So I would assume it would make the wheel wobble slightly while going down the road as well but It keeps the bearings seated to the wheel properlly.

jwhite
08-12-2010, 9:33 AM

To SPACE the wheel evenly between the forks and to keep it A) snug... and B) so that your rotor fits properly between the calipers and doesn't have unnecessary drag, thus wearing out both your rotor and your brake pads. Yeah, other than that, there's really no point.

Just take them out you don't need em.

bforbes
08-12-2010, 9:48 AM
the outer race of the bearing is held by the lip inside the center bore of the hub. the inner spacer between the bearings keeps the inner race of the bearing from moving inward, or mis-alligning and blowing apart. it keeps the inner race of both bearings parallel so both work equally together. i wouldnt remove it.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x193/SteveC8/WheelAssembly.gif

KIRKtheJERK
08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Put the tools down, back away from the bike, get in your car, drive to a bookstore, and start reading.

jwhite
08-12-2010, 1:55 PM
Put the tools down, back away from the bike, get in your car, drive to a bookstore, and start reading.

^^^^^^best advice I've seen all day.^^^^^^^

I also forgot to ask, why are you taking the front wheel apart?

ARBY
08-12-2010, 5:22 PM

If you've got a Shovel, here's a link to a manual.

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0ByPcSXRs_NK-MDJlNzhjYWMtM2ZmNy00NTk1LThkOGYtOTBjOTFiOTMzZTVm&hl=en

Hope it helps.

superglide
08-13-2010, 3:42 PM

It's called end play, with the axel out and enough spacers on the axel tighten down the axel nut to about 60lbs it should spin free if it dose not spin free loosen and add more shims behind wheel bearing.

garbage
08-13-2010, 3:50 PM
put the tools down, back away from the bike, get in your car, drive to a bookstore, and start reading.

funny!