PDA

View Full Version : New Old Triumph

osidebarrel
08-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Just picked this up last sunday, 64 frame w/71 unit motor. Stoked to have the project, been keepin my eyes peeled for a good roller and I think this will do nicely. Previous owner already done a lot of good work including a completely shaved and chromed rebuild of the front end. Gotta tear down the motor tho cause it looks in sore shape, Ill be needing engine parts soon so........if you have spares PM me.

Shoots
08-02-2010, 4:12 AM
Nice, looks like a good start.

vorhese
08-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Wow, definitely good start

osidebarrel
08-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Soo........ I got into the motor yesterday........not surprised. When I first looked at the bike I couldn't get it to turn over so it was obvious there was issues, here's what I got so far:
Took apart the top end and removed all the covers.Top end looks like a mix match of spare parts with lots missing, no valves, no push rods, pistons have no rings and rocker assemblies are miss matched and missing some guts.
Behind the covers didn't look too bad tho, other than some condensation inside the trans cover (on the kicker assembly) things looked mostly complete and in descent shape. Clutch even looked new and soft.
Found the main problem tho, timing side connecting rod is nearly frozen to the crank. Primary side doesn't move too freely either. Best case, I'm hoping that they have just sat for years and there isn't' irreparable damage to rods and crank. Guy i bought it from said the motor came from an old timer and may have sat for 20 yrs. Worst case, this thing got low on oil, had a plugged sludge trap or overheated and did serious damage to rotating assembly. Either way looks like ill be splitting the cases.
Please tolerate the lousy pics, couldn't find my camera, these are taken with my phone. Ill get better ones asap

gravelveins
08-02-2010, 6:47 PM
that's got a great stance man!

congrats!

osidebarrel
08-02-2010, 6:59 PM
Thanks! It was definatly more than i expected to start with, rare to pick up somethin that already has the "attitude" your goin for. Im excited for the build hopefully ill add to its charm

Sly
08-03-2010, 10:33 PM
nice find