PDA

View Full Version : Triumph Unit 650 Exhaust pipe stub problems

ridemore16
08-01-2010, 10:49 AM
So I've got a new issue. This time with the exhaust pipe stub on my right cylinder has stripped. It vibrated loose on a ride and my pipe, finned exhaust clamp and stub came out. Any suggestions on what to do?

I'm thinking of pulling the plug for this riding season and tearing the bike down completely. The engine is tired and my wiring is a disaster (to put it kindly).

KT
08-01-2010, 1:08 PM
Poorly attached pipes or pipes that are not attached "properly" will cause this ...Lots of people don't know the right way to setup a Triumph exhaust so don't feel bad.....

You have three options...Weld a new spigot in place that is what the "stubby" thing is called a exhaust spigot ...Two a redneck engineering fix is to use cold steel or JB weld apply it to the spigot threads and drill a set screw to hold the spigot in place...Three get a new head ....

ridemore16
08-01-2010, 2:54 PM
thanks KT...I'm leaning toward the new head option and refreshing the entire engine. Can you recommend a source for a new head or will I just have to luck up and find one?

fozz
08-01-2010, 3:08 PM
Poorly attached pipes or pipes that are not attached "properly" will cause this ...Lots of people don't know the right way to setup a Triumph exhaust so don't feel bad.....

You have three options...Weld a new spigot in place that is what the "stubby" thing is called a exhaust spigot ...Two a redneck engineering fix is to use cold steel or JB weld apply it to the spigot threads and drill a set screw to hold the spigot in place...Three get a new head ....

Also if i remember rightly tyler at lowbrows sells spigots which can fix prob without welding ect

ridemore16
08-01-2010, 4:12 PM
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=865

Is this what you mean Fozz? Doesn't seem quite right based on the description. I have 1.75" pipes. What do ya'll think, is this a fix?

Speedfiend
08-01-2010, 4:25 PM
KT, you forgot redneck option 4.
Jam/force/ cross thread a piece of threaded steel plumbing pipe in.

Of course theres almost as good a chance that you'll crack the head as to fix the problem. But I have seen it done more than once.

I have seen those over sized ones work. But its not a permanent fix. Eventually they will rattle out.

The important thing is to have three solid mounts for your pipes.

ridemore16
08-01-2010, 4:32 PM
Is it even worth checking in to having the threads re-cut in the head? I'm 90% sure I'm ready to just tear down the top end and freshen it up. It's mighty tired...point me in the right direction for a source on a 650cc head.

Torch
08-01-2010, 4:46 PM
depending on how bad you wallowed out the threads there are oversize spigots available on Ebay, I have used them with good results. you just heat up the head and screw them in they make their own threads.
and next time put more than one mount on your exhaust pipes,

Things to remember .

* the exhaust spigot itself is not considered an exhaust pipe support.
* the head stays and other brackets were put on the bike for a reason, if they weren't needed Triumph corporation would have just saved the money.

ridemore16
08-01-2010, 5:10 PM
Thanks Torch. The threads are pretty bad, especially the first 1/2 of threads. The back section (toward the pistons) is not as bad.

Thanks also for mentioning that the spigot itself is not a mount. I have just two mounts based on that info (bracket coming from engine and another at the end of the pipes. I need a more secure set-up for sure.

Torch
08-01-2010, 5:28 PM
Thanks Torch. The threads are pretty bad, especially the first 1/2 of threads. The back section (toward the pistons) is not as bad.

Thanks also for mentioning that the spigot itself is not a mount. I have just two mounts based on that info (bracket coming from engine and another at the end of the pipes. I need a more secure set-up for sure.

the first 1/2" is not that important, you might try the oversize spigots. and what about head stays? you got them on the bike?

ridemore16
08-01-2010, 5:37 PM
Head stays? Is that what I'm calling a "top motor mount"? (long bar with two bolt mounts, coming from the bend in the frame that starts the oil tank-on OIF model?)

KT
08-01-2010, 6:53 PM
yep that is the headstay setup on a OIF Triumph

TigerChris
08-01-2010, 6:59 PM
I battled my pipes for years, theres only one way to do it.

1. Buy the MAP cycle weld in spigots

2. Hammer them into your head.

3. weld them on.

4. use a real 1 3/4 clamp (not the finned pieces of shit, your pipe will fall off)

5. hang the back of your exhaust with a piece of fuel injection hose. (so you don't transfer vibration through the ass end of your frame. my exhaust only hangs on the weld in spigots in the front, and is hung from my passenger peg hole by a 2 inch piece of kevlar reinforced F.I. hose in the back

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j204/ceason/Triumph%20Build/DSCN3075.jpg

Hope this helps... from someone whose exhaust has fallen off about 5 times.

ridemore16
08-01-2010, 8:01 PM
that helps a lot man, thanks. Can you elaborate on a good clamp to use? I've got another set on the way. The finned one's I had never seemed to clamp very well.

TigerChris
08-01-2010, 8:21 PM
that helps a lot man, thanks. Can you elaborate on a good clamp to use? I've got another set on the way. The finned one's I had never seemed to clamp very well.

I bought those $45 big huge finned pieces of shit. One of them exploded while I was tightening it, with a flathead the first time i put them on. HUGE bubble in the casting. Burning your money to boil water is a better investment.

BAM!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-UP-OEM-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-EXHAUST-CLAMPS-1-3-4-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255baec6c3QQitemZ16045 1970755QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_5 00wt_747

and.......or......

BAM!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rush-Exhaust-1-3-4-TORCA-EXHAUST-CLAMP-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563cbceeaeQQitemZ37038 6202286QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3 913wt_728

Don't get stainless if you wanna paint them.

osidebarrel
08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I have stripped threads on my cyl head as well, been cooking up a fix but this answers most everything.