PDA

View Full Version : Rotary top 4 speed question

NoNothing
08-27-2009, 5:21 PM
recently swapped transmissions on my shovel. Now, when I jump on the kicker pedal it just swings straight through. The mainshaft and clutch spin, but the basket stays stationary. Any suggestions as to what my problem could be? Switched to diaphragm clutch spring and 5 stud hub if that makes a difference.

Caffracer
08-27-2009, 5:42 PM
At a guess I'd say you should check to see if you've omitted a woodruff key when you swapped the trans over - there should be one keying the clutch basket to the mainshaft (I think). That's the only explanation I could think of (off the top of my head) for why the shaft & clutch plates are spinning, but the basket is remaining stationary.

NoNothing
08-27-2009, 6:01 PM
woodruff key is definitley in place.

olddaze
08-27-2009, 7:02 PM
if your key is in there. You have the clutch assembled wrong. It's "open" and not grabbing the steel drive plates. Diaphragm spring on a 5-stud?

NoNothing
08-27-2009, 7:14 PM
yeah, is the spring and clutch hub not compatible? I have tommorow off work so Im gonna tear down the clutch and see if I fucked something up there.

MrCrown
08-28-2009, 8:04 AM
check your clutch adjustment as well.

might be set too tight.

BigOscar
08-28-2009, 4:48 PM
So whats wrong?

olddaze
08-28-2009, 6:05 PM
Well, unless I'm missing something here like some kind of aftermarket upgrade. A normal `ol 5-stud clutch hub uses 5 conical springs, not a diaphragm spring.

NoNothing
08-28-2009, 8:55 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. Was just out of adjustment. It is an aftermarket upgrade diaphragm spring, and its actually smoothed out the clutch considerably compared to what it was before. I feel like an idiot now for not starting in the simplest place.

Easy
09-07-2009, 10:30 AM
you are back on the road and thats what matters.Plus it reminds us that we dont always think of everything.Hidden in plain sight kinda thing haha.

NoNothing
09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
you are back on the road and thats what matters.Plus it reminds us that we dont always think of everything.Hidden in plain sight kinda thing haha.

Yeah, only problem now is exxon valdez leak from the main seal, and the gnarly grinding/popping noise in first. I love to despise this stupid motorcycle. should have bought the fresh rebuilt ratchet top...