PDA

View Full Version : Timing gears alignment

KT
07-28-2010, 9:39 PM
Ok got a question I know I am probably just being retarded but I want to make sure I have this right before I button up the 68 engine...

My intermediate gear fell out on my timing side when I was moving the engine ... I have went through the manuals watched my DVDs all that good stuff ...

However I do not have the head on the engine ....I brought the pistons up till The inter gear lined up the long dash with the mark on the intake cam gear and lined the dots up on the exhaust cam gear and also brought the crankshaft dot in between the marks on the inter gear .... So if all three gears are lined up like the manual says with the inter gear is that it ???? should I be able to bolt the head and all on and be close enough for hand grenades and parallel twins? ...

Reason I even ask is I have been told not fact just been told that this is a tricky part of building Triumphs ..Seemed pretty straight forward to me and simple compared to what I had been told of it ...I am running plain jane cams the whole engine is stock for that matter ...

fozz
07-28-2010, 9:47 PM
why didnt you just put it back in , unless you turned enjine with it out timing woulnt have moved????????????????????????????????????????????? ????

KT
07-28-2010, 10:16 PM
because it fell out brother ....no way I could get it back in like it was before it fell out I didn't have it set with the marks lined up or marked or memorized were it was before the fallout ...make sense? ....not trying to be a smart ass or anything but I don't think it was as simple as just stick it back in any which way ...

Torch
07-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Kelly, don't sweat it, It pisses me off when it happens but it only takes 15 minutes to do. refer to the book for your year engine. but most engines are all the same markings.make sure you locate the little dot on the pinion gear. the intake cam is the only one that has 2 marks, one dot for the 6T low compression engines and the line is for all other engines.
I think that is right but just to be safe refer to the manual.
Call me if you need to tomorrow, you still have the number?

KT
07-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Kelly, don't sweat it, It pisses me off when it happens but it only takes 15 minutes to do. refer to the book for your year engine. but most engines are all the same markings.make sure you locate the little dot on the pinion gear. the intake cam is the only one that has 2 marks, one dot for the 6T low compression engines and the line is for all other engines.
I think that is right but just to be safe refer to the manual.
Call me if you need to tomorrow, you still have the number?

Sure do when I went to the manual it says the small line on the intake side is for 500's and so on ,the long one is for 650's ...an yes sir it lined up on all three ... I have Kim the cd man's 5th edition DVD with a shit ton of manuals on it and referred to the 68 manual for this info ...It is the TR6R in my 68 build thread btw ...Thanks tony I will call ya if need be

fozz
07-30-2010, 2:48 PM
because it fell out brother ....no way I could get it back in like it was before it fell out I didn't have it set with the marks lined up or marked or memorized were it was before the fallout ...make sense? ....not trying to be a smart ass or anything but I don't think it was as simple as just stick it back in any which way ...

Should have explained myself better KT , what i ment was if dropped out & i never turned crank or cams i would have replaced the wheel turned engine until TDC removed wheel ,then replaced with 2lines to dot on crank ect if all dots ect lined up walla. hope all turned out well an she s running