PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid question

markwade74
12-01-2019, 7:18 PM
...but I dont know the answer.

I searched both here and the mighty interwebs, but cant find the same scenario.

For a while ive been wanting to run a solid rear on my shovel. Not a big deal, just havent come across a reasonably priced wheel or even really cared. Anyway, over the holiday a buddy showed up with a slotted solid off best I can figure a 00-03 sporty. Cool enough and an awesome gesture.

Its obvious I would have to machine the id of the hole on the sprocket (larger diameter hub boss) and most likely reconfigure spacers. My question is this, is there any reason I cant just flip the wheel and run it? Opposite side drive and all?

JBinNC
12-01-2019, 7:31 PM
The later rear wheels (and by later, I mean around '87, when HD put rear drive belts on Softails) have a different axial location for the sprocket (pulley). The flange is moved out approximately .20". To use these wheels on a four speed shovel chassis, you need to use a flat sprocket with one brake rotor shim behind it, instead of the four speed offset (dished) sprocket. You will find the brake rotor location the same on early and late hubs.

There are sprockets available that are already bored for the ball bearing hub.

This information applies to XL wheels of the same time frame, when used on a shovel, as well as the Softail and Dyna wheels.

Jim

markwade74
12-01-2019, 7:39 PM
Cool thanks for the response.

I will have to flip the wheel right? Does it matter?

JBinNC
12-01-2019, 7:42 PM
Yes, the wheel will be turned around. The sprocket bolts are 7/16 and the brake rotor bolts are 3/8.

Jim

markwade74
12-01-2019, 7:44 PM
Right on. Again, thank you

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
12-02-2019, 4:06 PM
I was interested in a solid rear wheel as well many years ago, In the 1990s the Softails, perhaps others ran a solid alloy wheel that looked a lot like a center line style wheel for cars. I thought it would look cool on a build. They shouldnt be hard to find these days, but at the time it took me a while to source one.

I eventually gave up on using it for a few reasons. One, swapping it over to my build was a lot of fab and machine work which is doable, But the main reason is they weight a LOT! I mean HEAVY Chunk of metal! I ended up changing my mind over using it.
This may not be a factor for you, but I test rode some bikes and I could feel the difference between the solid heavy wheels and lighter wheels.

There is a formula in one of my race car fabrication books I found useful,, When building or allocating your budget some mods get more bang for the buck than others. Just like stage tuning a motorcycle, Stage 1, Stage 2 etc depends on many factors but budget and time are a big one.

So Sprung weight vs unsprung weight applies to any vehicle. So in a car, Lightening unsprung weight IE: wheels, brakes, forks, swing arm and even tires has a disproportionate effect vs Sprung weight. IE: Swapping out hood, doors, trunks to fiberglass to cut down body weight.

So the formula is basically 50/500 or 1 in 10? Basically budget wise spending more on lightweight wheels and saving 50 pounds unsprung weight translates to 500 pounds sprung weight. So on a bike, you can drill out & hollow bolts or use Titanium fasterners, drill the hell out of all your parts, use super composites or alloy instead of steel but simply using the lightest wheels and brakes you can will pay much higher dividends. Look at Buells, Eric Buell was a genius on how he pulled it off, Buell wheels on the XB series are some of the lightest of any Sport bike out there. Same with his brake systems.

So, I can PHYSICALLY feel the difference on comparing similar bikes, Secondly, Solid wheels in a cross wind add a challenge as well, Ive ridden with some severe cross winds with solid wheels and believe it or not it was very noticable.

Any rate, not trying to hijack your thread but I figured anyone considering solid wheels could benefit from considering this. With all things chopper or custom, Its not always about performance and often its just the cool factor, but thats my $0.02 and worth half of what you paid for it.

markwade74
01-16-2020, 8:09 PM
The weather finally got shitty enough for me to stop ridin long enough to tackle this.

Thanks Jim for the help and info

Vinson
01-17-2020, 9:15 AM
Bike looks killer.

Were you running a spoked mag in the rear before you switched? Have you noticed any difference in handling?

markwade74
01-17-2020, 12:37 PM
Still freezing temps and rain no real riding yet. Hit around on my land and little bit on a straight dirt road just to make sure everything jived. I'll let you know when I get a proper ride in.

Yes it had stock spoked mags before

confab
01-17-2020, 1:51 PM
Great thread.. Not only do we have the same bike, I wanted a solid rear wheel for mine also.

Very informative. A+.

markwade74
01-21-2020, 11:47 AM
Bike looks killer.

Were you running a spoked mag in the rear before you switched? Have you noticed any difference in handling?

Been riding the new wheel for a few days, no real noticeable difference. Maybe because its not completely solid (slots) or maybe no real crosswinds yet

Bbqbiker
01-21-2020, 9:23 PM

Is this a SOA theme bike? :cool:

markwade74
01-22-2020, 10:52 AM
Is this a SOA theme bike? :cool:

Yep, can I borrow your white sneakers and hoodie?

Bbqbiker
01-22-2020, 12:30 PM
Yep, can I borrow your white sneakers and hoodie?

Left em in Gemma’s bedroom after a vicious romp....sorry

Vinson
01-23-2020, 12:15 PM
Been riding the new wheel for a few days, no real noticeable difference. Maybe because its not completely solid (slots) or maybe no real crosswinds yet

Nice.

Switched my setup recently from a 13 spoke in the rear to a solid. No discernible difference to me either, but I've always run mags so maybe I'm just used to the weight/handling.

Again, killer setup. Bike looks like a blast to ride.

DoomBuggy
01-23-2020, 12:27 PM
Left em in Gemma’s bedroom after a vicious romp....sorry

Watched ol'Charlie last night playing King Arthur, real stinko of a movie....

Bbqbiker
01-24-2020, 4:39 AM
Watched ol'Charlie last night playing King Arthur, real stinko of a movie....

Thanks for the review that saves two hours out of my life that I’ll never get back

farmall
01-25-2020, 6:11 PM
Left em in Venus’s bedroom after a vicious romp....sorry

FTFY. You wouldn't want to give the wrong impression. No need to thank me.