PDA

View Full Version : MMI orlando?

undeadfred1
07-18-2010, 6:58 PM
anyone else here a student? i start tommorrow just tryin to see if anyone else happens to be there as well.

Jared
07-21-2010, 7:01 PM
I actually just graduated friday. Just gonna give you some advice. The MTP courses are filled with some of the dumbest people you will ever encounter in your entire life, so dont get discouraged. In my eyes, the only electives that are worthwhile are harley, honda, and BMW. The rest are a complete joke. What are you going for?

JerseyAl
07-21-2010, 7:07 PM
let me start by asking: are you enrolled with the intention of working at a dealership after you graduate?

undeadfred1
07-22-2010, 7:40 AM
im enrolled for early model and the regular harley electives right now, but i am thinking of adding a metric just to get my feet wet. im probably going to go work for a dealer when i graduate, i love custom bikes alot more (id love to work for sucker punch) but im gonna get through school get a job, get some experience, and go from there. i had to start someone considering i didn't own a wrench until this year...

malloy
07-23-2010, 10:36 PM
your wasting your money on an empty career field. go do something medical.

JerseyAl
07-24-2010, 2:25 AM
im enrolled for early model and the regular harley electives right now, but i am thinking of adding a metric just to get my feet wet. im probably going to go work for a dealer when i graduate, i love custom bikes alot more (id love to work for sucker punch) but im gonna get through school get a job, get some experience, and go from there. i had to start someone considering i didn't own a wrench until this year...

I graduated from AMI in 1988. I've worked for quite a few dealers out there. Most of them are assholes and will take advantage of anyone they can. They'll start you off with low pay (8.00 to 10.00). you'll be doing oil changes, tire changes and pre delivery setups for a year or so then you may move onto installing accessories for the whiney ass RUBs. Most of the dealers have their Core techs (the ones who have been there for years) the rest are just cheap labor. I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you're lookng for a career I would think about another one. it's real hard to make money in this business. Like Malloy sed you might be better off in the medical field, I know its not as glamourous, but lemme tell ya being a Harley tech isn't either. The pay sucks and You're working while everyone else is riding. Dealers need to make their money during the season. All I can say is good luck my friend.

undeadfred1
07-24-2010, 4:03 PM
gonna have to do some more research then, i made more than that at my last job which required no skill or training. kinda stuck here now, relocated to florida took my girl with me and dropped 30000 on tuition so yeah but that would suck

SMChewy
07-24-2010, 4:43 PM
gonna have to do some more research then, i made more than that at my last job which required no skill or training. kinda stuck here now, relocated to florida took my girl with me and dropped 30000 on tuition so yeah but that would suck

Take it for all it's worth. Learn and absorb as much as you can. Then get out, work your ass off to pay down some student loans, and work that job while you go to school for something more fruitful if it isn't cuttin it. If you go back to school you can postpone government loans with no penalties if you go back a second time. That's what I did. I went back to school the second time at 24, and landed my job in TV (sports production, behind the scenes, not in front of the camera). Then I worked my ass off in this industry cause I was used to workin hard in my first career, and now 5 years into it I am making right under 6 figures a year, and will be over that by Christmas time. Not enough to get filthy rich where I live, but enough to not worry about puttin food on the table. I even got to buy my first house recently. It sounds like I'm making a ton, but keep in mind life happens along the way. I am paying off all those students loans, but I was also able to support my girl while she was un-employed for a long time. Remember, especially with trade schools, you get out of em, what you put in. I know your a younger dude, and in Florida now, but take school serious. Party a little on the weekends, but always put school first. Take every opportunity you can to learn more too (after class stuff, or special demos). But also remember, very few people can do their hobby for a living, and still want it to be there hobby when they get home at night. Look for the abstract jobs too. You could work for say, a frame manufacturer when you get out, and then still have fun wrenching when your off work. I went to school to be a radio DJ, and wound up engineering a 50ft mobile tv studio.

undeadfred1
07-24-2010, 5:24 PM
good advice. i wont really have to worry about loosing a hobby, cause my hobby is drumming and being in bands.... work will just be work for me but at least i like riding and i like bikes. as for the partyn, well, ive gotten enough of that goofing off since highschool 4 or 5 years ago. im not starting a band or anything. school is number 1.....

ratsorizzo
07-24-2010, 6:30 PM
befor you read this i want to say i dont regret goint to MMI( besides the loan)so go and do what you love for as long as you can ... not to add to the disappointment but i went to mmi graduated in 03 worked in aftermarket and dealers just got out of it in the end of march did it for 7 years. i left a union job making good money with great benefits to do this needless to say i went back to the union job in april i moved from N.Y. to FL and was in FL the whole time and just came back to ny in march i made ok money 22 bucks an hour flate rate but the benefits suck and i am master of tecnology i been to all the schools the dealer can send me to but they still treat the techs like shit we are dirt to the higher ups untill they want you to work on there bikes for free no less.and flate rate sucks if they give the customer a discount it come out of you time which is your money its ok for a single person which i was now have 2 kids with no bene's not cutting it . sorry for the shitty news . good luck

JerseyAl
07-24-2010, 7:49 PM
Holy shitballs batman! MMI's tuition is 30Gs? Well you're in it now. Get the most you can out of it.

bobbed06
07-24-2010, 10:12 PM
I went to AMI in 95 and took more from the senior Harley riders than I did from the teachers. The money paid for techs is dirt, and I worked at several dealerships making decent wages. Overall I lost the love for wrenching on my own bikes and beat my hands up twisting wrenches for everyone else. I made more money operating heavy equipment in 6 months than I made in years of wrenching on bikes.

malloy
07-25-2010, 6:26 AM
yea, it really is a cut-throat field. I didn't got to MMI but I went to UTI. I fix cars for a living. 35k for UTI and 10k for mercedes-benz training. the dealer paid for the mercedes training.. I just got master certied and finally making ok money but working flatrate sucks ass, warrenty doesn't pay shit, dealing with comebacks, everyday is a stress. there are guys at my dealer still making close to 100k a year, but there fed gravy all day and busting there ass. if I could do at all over again I would have stayed in the air force or went to dental school.

undeadfred1
07-25-2010, 9:55 AM
suppose that since im here im gonna stick with it and learn all i can. if the job outlook aint that great when i get out ill go back to community college in NC and finish learning welding, i got a buddy who would hire me at 25 bucks an hour welding. so yeah but at least i wont have to spend that 25 bucks to paysome to wrench on my bike

Sighless
07-25-2010, 10:55 AM
suppose that since im here im gonna stick with it and learn all i can. if the job outlook aint that great when i get out ill go back to community college in NC and finish learning welding, i got a buddy who would hire me at 25 bucks an hour welding. so yeah but at least i wont have to spend that 25 bucks to paysome to wrench on my bike

Any education is worth it. There is a guy here that works on bikes in his garage in the summer only (He has a winter job) He makes bank. During riding season everyone wants there bikes worked on and the dealerships/shops are usually pretty booked up.

ratsorizzo
07-25-2010, 11:13 AM
ya side work is the best way to go i still do it and i also buy bikes for cheap that people cant fix them self's and dont want to spent the money for other people to do it. you can double your money

mjasen10
07-25-2010, 11:50 AM
ratsorizzo pretty much nailed it on the head, if you wanna do it for a career you better do it for the love cus you dont get paid worth a fuck and you get shit on all the time. the industry has treated me fairly well you just have to make sure you cover your ass and make sure the work you put out is right. ive seen alot of guyts come and go because they got into making a hobby a career.

ARBY
07-26-2010, 8:47 PM

Did I read that right $30,000?????? Hoooooo.

Soames
07-26-2010, 9:09 PM
Good luck with school. You make life what you want it to be, doesn't matter if you're framing houses or investing other people's money. The secret is finding a little happiness and satisfaction along the way.

Sick1200
08-02-2010, 7:53 AM
Damn! When I graduated MMI 8 years ago I only paid 16k and thought that was a bit high.....but 30k!?! The industry is tough, but if it's what you want then get after it. No one can steal your thunder unless you let them, just work your ass off in school and take everything the teachers say and soak it all up. Good luck man.

Twinkies
08-02-2010, 10:01 AM
my story is similar to Malloy's... went to UTI in phnx while two other friends went to MMI at the same time. I paid somewhere around $18k in 2002 and thought I was getting raped at the time. (this was before the new facility in avondale).
I went through the Audi program. Got placed at a dealer, though not my first choice, moved back to CA, and worked that job for 3 yrs. Was making $19/hr flat rate at the time, kinda being shit on with a super cramped 1 lift work space in a super old service bay outdoors. Was lucky to flag over 75hrs in 2 weeks though id imagine thats worse now.
BUT overall I'd say it was a great experience.. its something to put on my resume thats helped me land the job I have now, met a lot of good people and had my first real experience out on my own. It sucks having to work and go to school full time, but a year will fly by.
Youre going to be in class with a lot of idiots, whiners, and lame instuctors. Dont let that get you down, you are there to learn and ask questions and get the most out of it. Your attendance is more important than anything for electives and possible future employers.

As for my friends that went to MMI, one bounced around at a couple dealers and shops and went back to fire fighting. The other couldnt find a job any better than the dealer lot porter job he already had for $9 an hour and worked constuction.

bobbed06
08-02-2010, 11:39 PM
If I had it to do over again when I was 18. I would have went into the Air Force and learned to wrench on turbine engines and either retired from that or get a job working as a civilian if I wanted more freedom. You get paid to learn, and have a roof over your head with great benefits. You wont get rich in the military , but if you save your pennies and live right you can make a decent life out of the government paying for you to see the world. Then get paid when the ride is over.

LivinEvil1
08-03-2010, 1:58 PM
hey man im gonna throw my 2 cents in. first off good luck with school. second when you graduate and if you start at a dealer it is best you dont tell alot of people there you went to mmi. granted there are some good techs that come out of there but majority end up getting fired or laid off at our dealership. they retrain you at the dealer how they want it done and alot of people out of mmi dont listen because "they know, they learned it at school". i have been at the dealer for 2 years now, i came from the automotive field and the dealer trained me, and the pay does suck and in the winter money flow is down, but we have had a couple mmi students come in and be done after the rally. but do what you wanna do man its not all bad being a wrench monkey.

undeadfred1
08-05-2010, 9:29 PM
well yeah after alot of thinkin and fact finding im pretty sure i made a mistake comin down to MMI, but im going through with it. also found out i can't work as a mechanic for harley (too short to ride the bigger bikes, i mean really too short, i can't reach forward controls at all on anything cept a sportster, i can barely flatfoot my nightster with tennis shoes on) so ill have to work in parts i guess. with that job im going to go back to community college for welding and learn how ta do that, got a buddy who can hook me up with a good welding job. but, since i had to give up touring and playing music to "grow up" and "be responsable" i can replace my hobby/passion of being in a band with wrenching on bikes and building custom bikes. so it all works out in a fucked up sort of way....

hrv03
08-05-2010, 9:55 PM
hey man im gonna throw my 2 cents in. first off good luck with school. second when you graduate and if you start at a dealer it is best you dont tell alot of people there you went to mmi. granted there are some good techs that come out of there but majority end up getting fired or laid off at our dealership. they retrain you at the dealer how they want it done and alot of people out of mmi dont listen because "they know, they learned it at school". i have been at the dealer for 2 years now, i came from the automotive field and the dealer trained me, and the pay does suck and in the winter money flow is down, but we have had a couple mmi students come in and be done after the rally. but do what you wanna do man its not all bad being a wrench monkey.

You would know, you Captain of the douche canoe........

This guy gives so much shit to the MMI guys, its unreal...... its because he is envious because he didnt go to a REAL school........ MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA