PDA

View Full Version : Lets seem some of your best STICK work

rusjack
08-26-2009, 11:28 AM
I was getting a frame welded up by a friend of mine the other day, he had a pretty nice MIG and TIG set up, and showed me how he used both and the pros/cons of both. Then he lugged out a little stick machine thats been in his family for years and years, and said I could take it home with me to tack stuff up and bring to him to finish off.

Im at the point where I dont want to haul stuff out to him to finish off, and id like to see some inspiration on using a stick to make NICE looking final projects. Mainly i want to do brackets for my frame and such, but it'd be nice to see more bars etc that people do with a stick. anyone?

AfterHours
08-26-2009, 11:46 AM
You can pick up a small MIG cheap,leave the arc buried in the barn,it's not even practical for tacks. Stick is a real art,and easy to burn through the thinner stuff you'll be using for bike parts...let alone the mess they make.

rusjack
08-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I also run on limited space, outdoor work only, and have a free arc welder. Im also renting, and my landlords will have nothing to do with me touching the electrical set up in this place... I had to buy a dryer to run on 110v. im in this game for cheap, not for buying a decent mig set up. Im enrolled in a course at the end of the month that employment insurance is paying for that will get me access to high quality stuff, but for now, i have this and will use what I have, im looking for other people who float the same way.

AfterHours
08-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Agreed,we're all in the same boat.

A small MIG can be run outside with flux core,and is 110 volt. Lincoln,Miller,Esab all have a version and they'll be with you forever. I used this setup for years in a gutted bathroom in a rental,and I still use the welder.

Burn lots of rod on a bench before to take that welder to your bike!

honkey84
08-26-2009, 12:16 PM
I would say learn how to stick weld. Like others have stated I wouldn't use it on your bike projects, but it is a good skill to learn. Plus once you know how to stick weld you can MIG weld easily. As far as demos and pictures, google is your friend brother, tons of stuff on the web about it.

camoback
08-26-2009, 12:19 PM
definitely not the best work but its mine dammit. all stick. its meant to encourage not to descourage http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502

rusjack
08-26-2009, 1:09 PM
definitely not the best work but its mine dammit. all stick. its meant to encourage not to descourage http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502

thats what sparked me into this thread. I want to see what people here have done with a stick and what they have available.. Anyone can tell me to go buy a lincon and learn how to mig, but I was wondering if anyone was 'roughing it' and doing good looking things with a stick welder.

google and youtube have been my main go-to's for anything, but I wanted to see if there were people here who were doing it.

philbey
08-26-2009, 5:41 PM
I haven't welded with a stick for ages. I'm not game to take to my bike frame with one, I've only welded much heavier gauge stuff.

LilGeneral
08-26-2009, 6:33 PM
Stick is for building bridges, Mig/Tig is for driving over them

image1
08-27-2009, 9:08 AM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc41/image1art/IMG_0017.jpg

billybiltit
08-27-2009, 12:59 PM
practice on thin stuff with the stick and get the small (3/32)rods.all welding is done with an arc of some kind,how the arc is generated varies.100 % penetration is all it takes to make a weld all it can be.don't be discouraged by the naysayers.i have welded stuff with stick that people couldn't tell from mig.it can be and has been done succesfully on bikes as well as anything.practice is the main thing,being comfortable with what you have will make it easier to get desireable results.

leon holmes