PDA

View Full Version : Rigid or Hardtail?

belldorado
07-15-2010, 8:28 PM
More and more I see and hear people call a rigid frame a "hardtail" Back in the old days we always thought of a hardtail as 1. a swingarm frame that has had the shocks replaced with struts or 2. A swingarm frame that had a hardtail section welded or bolted on in place of the swingarm and shocks. A rigid frame is just that a rigid frame. Maybe it's just me but every time I hear someone say "wow that's a badass hardtail" it makes me cringe. Any thoughts?

revmike
07-15-2010, 8:34 PM
Ya

garbage
07-15-2010, 8:36 PM
right?!.

timhypo
07-15-2010, 8:38 PM
I don't get it. Why does it make you cringe?

xllance
07-15-2010, 8:42 PM

timhypo
07-15-2010, 8:44 PM
Also, why would it matter if someone hardtails a stock frame? Didn't people modify existing frames long before aftermarket frames became available? I realize converting a swingarm frame to a rigid is relatively new compared to raking/extending, but I think that's because in the old days you could just get an OG rigid frame for your knuck/pan/shovel. I currently am waiting on my 'hardtail conversion' from Elswick for my late ironhead and am going to hardtail my stock frame to avoid having to deal with the DMV and their warped perspective on the value of a custom-built motorcycle and ridiculous requirement that I come up with a receipt for every part I use when most of them come from swap meets/craigslist/eBay or are homemade...

FABIAN
07-15-2010, 8:44 PM
More and more I see and hear people call a rigid frame a "hardtail" Back in the old days we always thought of a hardtail as 1. a swingarm frame that has had the shocks replaced with struts or 2. A swingarm frame that had a hardtail section welded or bolted on in place of the swingarm and shocks. A rigid frame is just that a rigid frame. Maybe it's just me but every time I hear someone say "wow that's a badass hardtail" it makes me cringe. Any thoughts?

Isnt it basically the same thing? No suspension in the back? Hard ride? HARDTAIL? RIgid frame = hard ride= hardtail.= jus sayin

belldorado
07-15-2010, 8:52 PM
[QUOTE=timhypo;76415]Also, why would it matter if someone hardtails a stock frame? Didn't people modify existing frames long before aftermarket frames became available? I realize converting a swingarm frame to a rigid is relatively new compared to raking/extending, but I think that's because in the old days you could just get an OG rigid frame for your knuck/pan/shovel. I currently am waiting on my 'hardtail conversion' from Elswick for my late ironhead and am going to hardtail my stock frame to avoid having to deal with the DMV and their warped perspective on the value of a custom-built motorcycle and ridiculous requirement that I come up with a receipt for every part I use when most of them come from swap meets/craigslist/eBay or are homemade...[/QUOTE

Nothing wrong with it at all, I'm not saying if you want a rigid ride to go out and buy a frame. I'm just saying I personally don't like it when people call a rigid frame a hardtail. Just speaking from my soapbox.

lobstermobster
07-15-2010, 8:57 PM
i made my frame out of poop.

xllance
07-15-2010, 8:58 PM
Oh Lord make it stop.

HWC
07-15-2010, 9:09 PM
i thought,,,wellll nevermind,,i need to go adjust my nuts

spooner
07-15-2010, 9:09 PM
If someone gives you a free hardtail, would that make it a "frigid"? :)

Boston
07-15-2010, 9:14 PM
I just have to show my true fucking colors here 'cause this thread is painful. Thinking about it, this is one funny fucking thread. I gotta' ask....What IS "Back in the old days" to YOU....'cause I've been riding motorcycles since 1966 and my first bike WAS a rigid...AKA...HARDTAIL! So from wence do you harken my good authority???

I'm in agreement....

This thread should stop now.,..IT BLOWS since the first stupid post!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And beldorado...I like you and all...but you can't talk this shit from a pink horsy' avatar...know what I mean?

Wow..I said "fucking" twice, shit and BLOWS once!!!! My good guy image is over.

Boston

lvvato
07-15-2010, 9:29 PM
From here on, I'm calling mine a "Hard Back"!

Hope it doesn't make anyone cringe!

scissors883
07-15-2010, 9:46 PM
wow.....? im building a883 with rigid struts.... so what am i supposed to call it..........I think im going to call it a strutter! lol!

shop102
07-15-2010, 9:58 PM

poop......JUNK PIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Jcarter78
07-15-2010, 9:59 PM
just gay

Allen
07-15-2010, 10:21 PM
just gay and oh so rigid.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QeZMBX56_l0/S7qTvWkZOaI/AAAAAAAAByo/ifuABGWXogA/s1600/chop+cult+fail.jpg

KT
07-15-2010, 10:35 PM
WTF really?!?

revmike
07-15-2010, 10:41 PM
http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/2000/1940/11686.jpg

bloodyfingertips
07-15-2010, 11:01 PM
I had no idea. Theres a lotta lingo that escapes me. Rigid frigid hardtail. I gots no idea cept I likem!

philbey
07-15-2010, 11:06 PM
I call mine Albert.

nick5
07-16-2010, 4:53 AM
i work with a lady that looks just like mush-mouth.....really, JUST like him

primer
07-16-2010, 6:35 AM
I ride a rigid,I like chasing hardtail

belldorado
07-16-2010, 7:45 AM
Your right dudes, this is a shit post. I wasn't really thinking about how it sounded when I started it. Being around motorcycles my whole life sometimes it's easy to be the "chopper police" when you go to a event and see all the people that bought a $25,000 motorcycle just because everyone else has one. Hardtail, rigid or whatever why sould anyone care?

LiPcHiTs65
07-16-2010, 7:55 AM
go to sleep my pink little horsie, go to sleep!!!

belldorado
07-16-2010, 7:57 AM
go to sleep my pink little horsie, go to sleep!!!

I've uploaded a profile photo but for some reason it's not showing up?

LiPcHiTs65
07-16-2010, 8:06 AM
ya it can kind of be a HARD TAIL LOL!!

Boston
07-16-2010, 9:48 AM
Fine redemption....fine redemption. You fit in well with a great attitude.....

we forgive you.

Boston

Hooligan80
07-16-2010, 4:40 PM
[QUOTE=timhypo;76415]Also, why would it matter if someone hardtails a stock frame? Didn't people modify existing frames long before aftermarket frames became available? I realize converting a swingarm frame to a rigid is relatively new compared to raking/extending, but I think that's because in the old days you could just get an OG rigid frame for your knuck/pan/shovel. I currently am waiting on my 'hardtail conversion' from Elswick for my late ironhead and am going to hardtail my stock frame to avoid having to deal with the DMV and their warped perspective on the value of a custom-built motorcycle and ridiculous requirement that I come up with a receipt for every part I use when most of them come from swap meets/craigslist/eBay or are homemade...[/QUOTE

Nothing wrong with it at all, I'm not saying if you want a rigid ride to go out and buy a frame. I'm just saying I personally don't like it when people call a rigid frame a hardtail. Just speaking from my soapbox.

Who the fuck cares as long s they are riding? Can we find more nonproductive shit to bitch about like bias ply vs. radial? Traditional vs. non traditional? I didn't know I joined JockeyJournal.

Hooligan80
07-16-2010, 4:41 PM
If someone gives you a free hardtail, would that make it a "frigid"? :)

Only if it has a cup holder

revmike
07-16-2010, 8:18 PM
I dunno, I kind of prefer bias ply.... as long as they're round, I guess

HFMC
07-16-2010, 9:06 PM
This is all too much with all the lingo....chopper,bobber, old school, ol skool, retro, rat, hardcore......and now rigid and hardtail are different?? Shit, I think I'm getting too old to be a biker, chopper jockey, road dog, rider....I need a manual to keep up with the lifestyle, scene, genre, etc!

LiPcHiTs65
07-16-2010, 9:10 PM
this is all too much with all the lingo....chopper,bobber, old school, ol skool, retro, rat, hardcore......and now rigid and hardtail are different?? Shit, i think i'm getting too old to be a biker, chopper jockey, road dog, rider....i need a manual to keep up with the lifestyle, scene, genre, etc!

ooooooooo how your times are changing!!!

ARBY
07-17-2010, 4:01 PM
Hardtail or rigid, they both mean the same thing. Kinda like hot dogs and franks, pus#y or
sna%ch. Follow me?

deadbeat89
07-17-2010, 4:08 PM
yea poop frame

HELLBILLYCUSTOMS
07-17-2010, 4:33 PM
I'll add to this madness....as a younger guy (prolly the one of the youngest on here) I call a rigid a hardtial because I use to ride/race mountian bikes and bmx and as such any bike the had no rear suspenion was considered a hardtail so when I started ride motorcycles rigid were hardtails to me....just my 2 cent.....

LazyBones
07-17-2010, 6:29 PM
So which came first?......The chicken or the egg....

No seriously which phrase came first "hardtail" or "softail"?

I mean a rigid frame is just that rigid.....a hardtail is hard because there is no suspension apart from that which the rear tire affords...and a softail is something them folks up in Milwaukee came up with to make lots more money....

Am I wrong?

junkyardjon
07-18-2010, 6:46 AM

so what happens when you ride in the rain?

66triumph
07-18-2010, 8:38 AM
it floats...

-A.