PDA

View Full Version : Home Brew

krakerbill
07-15-2010, 2:52 AM
Anyboby make their own homebrew? Peace Fukers.

NHMike
07-15-2010, 6:29 AM
Check out my man "Homebrew" on here. He used to do it until recently, I'm sure he'll chime in sometime.

Homebrew
07-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Did someone call me? HAHA Yup I did homebrew beer for the better part of 14 years both partial mash and all grain. I also made wine, mead, liquer and sody pop. I have been away from it for a couple years as my favorite brew store closed and the nearest one is an hour and a half away and I am just short on time with all these fricken' motorcycles to work on. Something I can help you with?

prosparky
07-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I have a Mr. Beer kit that I use, if that counts. Don't laugh, it makes good beer !!

TemeculaTerry
07-15-2010, 1:15 PM
I've got about the same time in as Homebrew for beer making although more not than often and zero experience other than beer. The brew mart that was down in OB got me started, it was fun mostly when there were not that many resources on the practice.

Homebrew, I would love to pick your brain, I wanna make a Pear cider out of some fresh pears if it's ok to PM ya.

KT
07-15-2010, 1:47 PM
I have 2 apricot trees and 18 peach mostly new haven freestone trees but I have 3 Alberta's then some small white peach trees ..

Last couple years I have made some peach brandy or peach wine I dunno what ya categorize it as ...I use yeast,sugar,distilled water,peaches,and add white rice to it ....leave it to ferment in the tub for a week or so ...

everyone that has had it likes it ...Should be a good year this year peach trees are full and the early Alberta's I have eaten this week are tasty and full of juice cause of the rain we have got this year ....

JRussell
07-15-2010, 2:11 PM
GIve us the step by step for the Peach brandy/wine. Please!

KT
07-15-2010, 4:03 PM
Peach Brandy

6 pounds ripe peaches
13 1/2 Quarts of distilled water (mineral free)
4 1/2 envelopes of yeast or (10,tsp of instant yeast)
7 1/2 pounds granulated sugar
1 pound of un-cooked white rice (Optional)

Slice peaches in half, discard the pits ( I smash them in my hand and thorw the seed away). Place peaches in a large earthen crock ( I use a large plastic tub I found at wally world). Add all ingredients. (The white rice will improve the strength of the liquer). Stir to dissolve the sugar. Let stand 10 days. Strain several times using a fine cloth, then bottle brandy in bottles or jars that have been sterilized by the dishwasher

I let stand for 10 days but at about day 7 or 8 I add another 3 - 5 pounds of sugar and stir in ...Also to filter I have found going and buying a couple good white pillow case and pouring the pulp into that as a filter works good

Here is my reciepe I have modified it from the original above ...

10 pounds ripe new haven peaches
5 pounds ripe white peaches
15 Quarts of distilled water (mineral free)
5 envelopes of yeast or (10,tsp of instant yeast)
10 pounds granulated sugar (3-5 more pounds after 7 days)
1 pound of un-cooked white rice (Optional)

JRussell
07-15-2010, 5:54 PM
Does the container need to be air tight and or have a breather?

KT
07-15-2010, 7:10 PM
I lay two bath towels over the tub and tie a string around it to hold it on and keep creepy crawly things out of it...but yea you want it to vent or the gas pressure will blow a sealed container up ...I have had mason jars pop the tops when bottled if left to long ,cause they will keep ferminting until you put them in the fridge...guess the cold stops the ferminting ..Like I said I am no expert just been dickin around with it cause I have the trees and so many peaches go to waste...What hits the ground is not usually good for eating but is excellent for making hooch

Homebrew
07-15-2010, 7:58 PM
I've got about the same time in as Homebrew for beer making although more not than often and zero experience other than beer. The brew mart that was down in OB got me started, it was fun mostly when there were not that many resources on the practice.

Homebrew, I would love to pick your brain, I wanna make a Pear cider out of some fresh pears if it's ok to PM ya.

PM me anytime, I will look tomorrow night to see what I can find for an easy recipe.

Homebrew
07-15-2010, 8:03 PM
Does the container need to be air tight and or have a breather?

I always had it in a 5-7 gallon glass water bottle wrapped in a towel with a stopper and air/water trap. Keeps all the nastys out especially two of the worst, at least for beer, light and air.

samwe
07-15-2010, 8:30 PM
I brew, pretty much just working on an imperial stout for now.
But I pretymuch just drink imperial stours and english style barley wines.

CabritoLoco
07-16-2010, 7:52 AM
I'm always down for a good brew day, partial mash and full. I prefer the Lawnmowers, Kolsch, Cream Ale, Wits, and a good Pale every now and then.

bloodyfingertips
07-16-2010, 8:40 AM
I'm dying to figurethe mead out.

KidArsenal
07-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Hardest part with mead is the waiting. I have some laying in wait from New Year's that is tough to keep my hands off of. Normally I brew IPAs, IIPAs or wheat beers. I do more in the winter when I can't ride.

Sick1200
07-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Hardest part with mead is the waiting. I have some laying in wait from New Year's that is tough to keep my hands off of. Normally I brew IPAs, IIPAs or wheat beers. I do more in the winter when I can't ride.

That's my kind of brew. Have you tried Hop Head IIPA from midwest supplies? If not, I highly recommend it, very very tasty. My next batch is going to be an Altbier.

Homebrew
07-16-2010, 12:47 PM
I have been selling off my brew stuff because I just don't have the time anymore. Sold my 5 tap fridge, whole grain setup, extra kegs, fermenters and tomorrow someone is coming to buy all my brew magazines and books. But not to worry I still kept some of everything in case the mood strikes I can still brew my famous Steam Ale......famous with my wife anyways, could never keep enough in the fridge with her.

Homebrew
07-16-2010, 1:03 PM
Actually I have an offer for all my homebrew brothers on the CC. I have a box of Charlie Papazian Zymurgy books that are brand new (when my favorite brew store closed I got them for free) they are now no longer being printed. A used on on Half.com goes for $10+ and shipping, new ones are at $80+ (HAHAHA). You send me $6 to my paypal dctgo2@metrocast.net and I'll send you one. I will do shipping on Saturday's. 1 per person, you must me a CC member (reference your ID in your payment) and I have about 30 of them so don't worry about me running out.
http://product.half.ebay.com/Zymurgy_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ700067
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q80RA2EWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

TemeculaTerry
07-16-2010, 7:03 PM
I'll take one homebrew - money sent!