PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Ohio cop fired, trooper to be suspended

KT
08-25-2009, 9:10 PM
Kinda crazy deal been going on here for last couple days in the news.....

Speeding Ohio cop fired, trooper to be suspended
By Associated Press

POSTED: 07:54 a.m. EDT, Aug 25, 2009

COLUMBUS: An Ohio police officer has been fired for off-duty speeding on his motorcycle at nearly 150 mph, but a state trooper ticketed with him keeps his job.
Christopher Thomas learned from a letter Monday that he was being dismissed as an officer for the Columbus suburb of Gahanna. The city's safety director wrote that Thomas was not suited to be a police officer.
State Highway Patrol officials wanted to terminate Trooper Jason Highsmith. Instead, an agreement reached with the State Troopers Association on Monday will suspend him without pay for five days and reassign him.
Thomas and Highsmith both pleaded guilty to speeding for citations they received on Interstate 70 on June 28. Authorities said Thomas was clocked at 149 mph and Highsmith at 147 mph.
COLUMBUS: An Ohio police officer has been fired for off-duty speeding on his motorcycle at nearly 150 mph, but a state trooper ticketed with him keeps his job.

Christopher Thomas learned from a letter Monday that he was being dismissed as an officer for the Columbus suburb of Gahanna. The city's safety director wrote that Thomas was not suited to be a police officer.

State Highway Patrol officials wanted to terminate Trooper Jason Highsmith. Instead, an agreement reached with the State Troopers Association on Monday will suspend him without pay for five days and reassign him.

Thomas and Highsmith both pleaded guilty to speeding for citations they received on Interstate 70 on June 28. Authorities said Thomas was clocked at 149 mph and Highsmith at 147 mph.

RockinRyan
08-26-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm shocked even one of them lost their job.

AfterHours
08-26-2009, 12:44 AM
They're probably cool as fuck. Imagine what a ride-a-long with these dudes would be like,and on bikes!

honkey84
08-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Surprised also that they didn't both get to keep there jobs. You ask me its bullshit. Here you have to off duty officers that are breaking multiple laws and dont suffer the normal reprocussions that me or anyone else would get. Cops are bullshit, and the way they act about the law is bullshit. "To serve and protect." Until their asses are in the hot seat, and thats when the biggest fucking double standard applies to them.

BlueCollarMoto
08-26-2009, 12:54 PM
This guy had the right idea on how to deal with cops!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mPQH9vpKut4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mPQH9vpKut4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nocoast
08-26-2009, 1:17 PM
Surprised also that they didn't both get to keep there jobs. You ask me its bullshit. Here you have to off duty officers that are breaking multiple laws and dont suffer the normal reprocussions that me or anyone else would get. Cops are bullshit, and the way they act about the law is bullshit. "To serve and protect." Until their asses are in the hot seat, and thats when the biggest fucking double standard applies to them.

Normal reprocussions? How many people have jobs that if you get a speeding ticket you lose your job?

These people have to live up to a higher standard then the general public and thats part of the job, but I think getting fired is a bit harah handed. This wouldn't even be news if it were a IT guy/ mechanic/ cashier at Target/etc.

honkey84
08-26-2009, 6:18 PM
Normal reprocussions? How many people have jobs that if you get a speeding ticket you lose your job?

These people have to live up to a higher standard then the general public and thats part of the job, but I think getting fired is a bit harah handed. This wouldn't even be news if it were a IT guy/ mechanic/ cashier at Target/etc.

What Im saying is that one guy lost his job and thats it, or atleast thats what is in the article what happend to them. I know, atleast here in Illinois, a regular person as myself would get a laundry list of tickets, lose my drivers license, and get dropped by my insurance. These guys were going 150 MPH on a public road. Here thats called wreckless endangerment. If they got the same tickets and charges as I would then great, but if not I think they got off lightly to be honest just becasue they are cops which is crap in my book. You break the law, officer or not you should be treated the same as any other tax payer. Just my two cents......

AfterHours
08-26-2009, 6:29 PM
I guess I'm the only guy that knows a cool cop or two. One even insists that I carry a loaded gun wether I have a permit or not,and is all about the real biker scene so much his job has been on the line for him standing up for what he believes in. I've been pulled over mucho,and there cocksuckers a-plenty,but more often than not they end up checking out the bike and giving me a verbal warning.

I also unbutton my blouse,maybe that helps?

nocoast
08-26-2009, 6:36 PM
What Im saying is that one guy lost his job and thats it, or atleast thats what is in the article what happend to them. I know, atleast here in Illinois, a regular person as myself would get a laundry list of tickets, lose my drivers license, and get dropped by my insurance. These guys were going 150 MPH on a public road. Here thats called wreckless endangerment. If they got the same tickets and charges as I would then great, but if not I think they got off lightly to be honest just becasue they are cops which is crap in my book. You break the law, officer or not you should be treated the same as any other tax payer. Just my two cents......

Dude, it says in the article that they were ticketed. How do you figure they got any "get out of jail free" passes? So it seems as though they were treated as tax payers.

What they were doing was stupid was fuck. No doubt. They should and seemingly were ticketed for doing so. But to lose a job is stupid.

Anyone who works a civil service job is under a mircoscope off duty. DUI's, Bar-fights, speeding tickets , can casue you to lose your job. These dudes were doing nothing different then what most of us have done ( shit, I've buried my needle at 120 mph) but INADDITION to the price a normal tax payer would pay, they also lost their job.

BlueCollarMoto
08-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Dude, it says in the article that they were ticketed. How do you figure they got any "get out of jail free" passes? So it seems as though they were treated as tax payers.

What they were doing was stupid was fuck. No doubt. They should and seemingly were ticketed for doing so. But to lose a job is stupid.

Anyone who works a civil service job is under a microscope off duty. DUI's, Bar-fights, speeding tickets , can cause you to lose your job. These dudes were doing nothing different then what most of us have done ( shit, I've buried my needle at 120 mph) but INADDITION to the price a normal tax payer would pay, they also lost their job.

Going 150 on the FWY is a bad thing?
Hell man. If I had a job where I had to drive a Co car I would loose my job if I got a ticket for getting caught doing 150mph. The one that didn't get canned probably is at a desk for the foreseeable future.

ARBY
03-30-2010, 9:32 PM

Double standard? What double standard? One lost his job one got suspended. I don't know what you do for a living but I'll bet if you got a speeding ticket you'd still be going to work in the morning. Maybe you should suffer the same standard.

xllance
03-31-2010, 4:42 AM
Ask a UPS driver what happens if he gets a ticket. Same goes for AT&T service dudes. They get fired. Just having a CDL is almost criminal nowdays, in Texas you can't even take defensive driving with a CDL.

born2boogie
03-31-2010, 6:46 AM
all cops are bastards

plain n simple

jonnyrtn
03-31-2010, 9:47 AM
Double standard? What double standard? One lost his job one got suspended. I don't know what you do for a living but I'll bet if you got a speeding ticket you'd still be going to work in the morning. Maybe you should suffer the same standard.

Arby... search "Chief Leach Riverside DUI" and you will see the biggest double standard there is. It got to big to hide so at least he plead guilty... or "Deputy Graves Murrieta" Yeah the guy got arrested for shooting at the bar and running then trying to cover up evidence but, he was on probation for DV that was pled down so he could keep his job and carry his gun, the DA even let him plead down his drunken shooting spree (behind the scenes in a closed court)... it goes on and on and on DA's going easy on cops, cops letting other cops off etc etc.... at least in Cali the CHP will lock your ass up badge or no badge, they will lock up even their own commanders for DUI..... the CHP may be dicks, but they practice what they preach... people are getting sick of corrupt cops. If you cannot honor the publics trust, you need to have your POST certificate ripped up and go flip burgers.

TemeculaTerry
03-31-2010, 10:15 AM
all cops are bastards

plain n simple

I would happen to disagree - Pretty fucking ignorant statement!

If I get caught going 150 during work hours and get my license suspended for reckless driving, accrue more than 3 tickets a year or get a DUI I will loose my job.
I feel bad for that cop man, just another biker having fun with a bro, not much different than what we all do.

That pissing vid was classic...

BTW - I got pulled over yesterday, not for speeding but other things and the moto cop was a pretty cool dude - let me off with a warning.

CRFyou
03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
i have a buddy with a CDL. he drives a truck for long beach. he and my buddy took off mega fast at a light. i didn't even bother since they were on evo sportys and i ride an old triumph.

they fucking flogged it through 5th gear and got up to at least 120 on PCH. mega stupid. a motor cop whipped around me and pulled them over. when they finally had to slow down at a red light. both bikes impounded, both guys arrested and charged with illegal speed contest.

they were out in a day but their bikes weren't. 30 day minimum at the tow yard.

they have a court date in a month where if found guilty will get a minimum of 2 points plus all the fines.

My buddy will lose his CDL and union job with the city. as he's held to a higher standard and is only allowed a point on his record.

both cops deserve to lose their jobs. it's the nature of the beast.

tattoo2303
03-31-2010, 2:51 PM
i dont agree with anything i do in my free time should have any effect on my job, thats the whole point of it being your time! fuck its not bad enough you give 40 hrs or more of your life away each week but now you have to worry about the other128 potentially wrecking your ability to provide for you and your family, fuck that as the fat little bastard say I DO WHAT I WANT (you have to read that in a cartman voice hahaaha)

ditto
03-31-2010, 3:27 PM
all cops are not bastards. though i dont invite any of them to my house either. But being a cop and breaking the law should have a lot less tolerance than my scumbag self breaking the law, shouldnt it?! I mean, they took an oath, right? isnt that what its all about?

they lost their jobs im sure from the political and public aspects of their getting themselves in trouble, not because they ride bikes or because they broke the law or anything else.

Lets be real, had they been stopped for 15 miles over the limit, they wouldnt even have been cited most likely. But someone somewhere higher up and on the news channels was definltily gonna notice a felony stop!

I guess the double standard is - cops shouldnt break the law - or is that a moral to a story??

xllance
03-31-2010, 4:46 PM
Couple of years ago the newly elected Sheriff got a call from his deputy in the wee hours of the morning. Seems the good deputy got a little wasted and flipped his personal pickem up truck. Upstanding Sheriff to the rescue!! Tore up pickup sits under the Sheriff's carport at his house and, well that's it, no ticket, no sobriety test, no reprimand or anything. Just an aw shucks you tore up your truck, too bad.

CRFyou
03-31-2010, 5:18 PM
i dont agree with anything i do in my free time should have any effect on my job, thats the whole point of it being your time! fuck its not bad enough you give 40 hrs or more of your life away each week but now you have to worry about the other128 potentially wrecking your ability to provide for you and your family, fuck that as the fat little bastard say I DO WHAT I WANT (you have to read that in a cartman voice hahaaha)

i fully agree with that. but if my buddy is held to a higher standard and he just drives a trash truck, then a cop isn't allowed to be a hypocrite and do 150 effing miles an hour.

and certain vocations hold you to higher standards. i could bang a 17 year old and get whatever the punishment is and a ton of high fives, but if a school teacher did it, he would lose his teaching career for life.

i don't even own anything that does anywhere near 120. unless you count my wicked badass roundhouse kick.

revmike
03-31-2010, 6:16 PM
First, the state troopers have an awesomer UNION.... the city cop or whatever needs a better lawyer.

Second, if you have a job that REQUIRES a driver's license, loosing said license could jeopardize your job. But everyone still gets DUE PROCESS.

I wouldnt think this would be automatic, but would be the result of a very long process, subject to some kind of appeal or review.

You can be if the officer is eventually reinstated, THAT story will appear on page 12, not page 1, because all the department wants is publicity for how serious they are, even if they back off later.

Well, that's all just drunken conjecture on my part....

~Rev Mike

revmike
03-31-2010, 6:22 PM
A little more of the story....

A Gahanna police officer pleaded guilty this morning to speeding charges after he was ticketed last month for traveling almost 150 miles per hour on a motorcycle. Gahanna Officer Christopher Thomas, 33, received a speeding ticket eight days after he was caught going 149 mph on I-70 near Buckeye Lake, and then only after the Ohio Highway Patrol made a courtesy call to his department. Trooper Jason E. Highsmith, 35, who was riding his motorcycle near Thomas, received a ticket for going 147 mph four days later.

Licking County Municipal Judge W. David Branstool fined Thomas the maximum $150 and suspended Thomas’ driver’s license for six months, citing the reckless nature of the crime. Thomas had faced a maximum suspension of three years.

Branstool said he was sure Thomas had seen the consequences of excessive speed first hand in his nine years as a police officer.

“Those experiences are more sobering than anything I can tell you here today,” he said.

Before receiving his sentence, Thomas apologized to his family, saying his actions displayed a bad lapse in judgment.“I know it was an extremely wrong thing to do,” he said.

The Ohio Department of Public Safety has requested an investigation into the actions of all three men involved in the June stop, including Trooper Bryan D. Lee, 25, of the Granville post, who wrote the tickets. Footage from Lee’s cruiser shows him recognizing Highsmith and turning off the sound halfway through the official recording.Highsmith pleaded not guilty last month. He has a trial pending.

Brian Hoyt, Gahanna spokesman, said the guilty plea does not automatically trigger any action from the city, but will be factored into an ongoing internal investigation into possible disciplinary proceedings. He said he was unsure what the driving suspension would mean to the officer’s work duties, adding that Thomas is still on injury leave.

Thomas has been on paid leave since a December on-the-job accident.

The Ohio Bureau of Workers Compensations is investigating whether Thomas’ injuries were bad enough to justify a half-year of medical benefits. Spokeswoman Michelle Gatchel said today that she could not comment on the status of the investigation.

revmike
03-31-2010, 6:24 PM
AND, as I said, the reinstatement wont be headline news.

REAL ANSWER = 90 day suspension w/o pay

GAHANNA, Ohio—A Gahanna police officer who was fired after being caught riding his motorcycle at nearly 150 mph will get his job back.
Officer Christopher Thomas was fired after the incident, but Wednesday, arbitrators decided the department did not have just cause.
In July, authorities said, officer Christopher Thomas, 33, was clocked going 149 mph on I-70, east of Columbus, where the speed limit is 65 mph.
Thomas was riding with two other people, including 35-year-old Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper Jason Highsmith.
Highsmith was clocked going 147 mph on I-70, east of Columbus, where the speed limit is 65 mph.
An OSP radar plane clocked the motorcyclists allegedly going those speeds Sunday, June 28, and troopers made the traffic stop.
A third motorcyclist also was part of the group but was not clocked on radar and was not ticketed.
Four days after the stop, troopers issued Highsmith a ticket, and eight days later Thomas was issued a citation.
Thomas pleaded guilty Wednesday, Aug. 5, and was sentenced to a $150 fine and six-month license suspension.
Thomas was terminated from the Gahanna police department.
Thomas was on injury leave from the force after an on-duty car crash when the incident occurred.
When Thomas returns, he will serve a 90-day unpaid suspension before resuming his duties.
Highsmith entered a plea of not guilty on Wednesday, July 8. He was sentenced to a $150 fine plus court costs. His license was to be suspended for six months, and four points were added to his license.
Highsmith was to be put on probation for two years. During that time, if Highsmith violates the code of conduct, he will be terminated.
He was transferred from the motorcycle division to the Marysville Post—effective Tuesday, Aug. 25.
He was also suspended for five days without pay.

ARBY
04-02-2010, 3:51 PM
Arby... search "Chief Leach Riverside DUI" and you will see the biggest double standard there is. It got to big to hide so at least he plead guilty... or "Deputy Graves Murrieta" Yeah the guy got arrested for shooting at the bar and running then trying to cover up evidence but, he was on probation for DV that was pled down so he could keep his job and carry his gun, the DA even let him plead down his drunken shooting spree (behind the scenes in a closed court)... it goes on and on and on DA's going easy on cops, cops letting other cops off etc etc.... at least in Cali the CHP will lock your ass up badge or no badge, they will lock up even their own commanders for DUI..... the CHP may be dicks, but they practice what they preach... people are getting sick of corrupt cops. If you cannot honor the publics trust, you need to have your POST certificate ripped up and go flip burgers.

Again, justice was served in each of those cases. If you've read the police reports and the final court transcripts then you can speak with some authority. Otherwise, if you're spouting strickly from newspaper accounts or conjecture then your opinion of the incidents is just that - opinion. Vince Neil kills a guy in a DUI crash and goes to jail for 30 days! Therefore by your standard, all rock starts are pieces of shit.

The only thing I agree with in your statement is the last sentence.

jonnyrtn
04-02-2010, 5:35 PM
Again, justice was served in each of those cases. If you've read the police reports and the final court transcripts then you can speak with some authority. Otherwise, if you're spouting strickly from newspaper accounts or conjecture then your opinion of the incidents is just that - opinion. Vince Neil kills a guy in a DUI crash and goes to jail for 30 days! Therefore by your standard, all rock starts are pieces of shit.

The only thing I agree with in your statement is the last sentence.

No you did not get it at all.... prior DV in California gets ALL your guns confiscated... the DA will not plead it down and getting drunk and shooting at a bar with people in it will get you an attempted murder charge along with everything else, not a behind the scenes deal...... They would bury you (joe Citizen) under the jail out here in the land of 3 strikes... and yeah the police report is public record and I have read it. The chief, obviously drunk, stoned on pills and driving on rims was NOT given a sobriety test, he was driven home, even though police report said he was drinking, incoherent and could not remember what he hit and yeah, the police report is public record and I read it and watched the arrainment on T.V..... go ahead and make excuses it is expected of "can do no wrong" blue wall. If you have witnessed a crime or abuse of athourity by another cop... and not reported it... then you to cannot be trusted. I am done with this. And yeah from the track records of most rock stars, they end up drug users or broke ass has beens. or assholes that want to tell the rest of us how to live. I do not have a star worship bone in my body.

ARBY
04-02-2010, 8:59 PM
No you did not get it at all.... prior DV in California gets ALL your guns confiscated... the DA will not plead it down.....

Same thing in all states. It's a federal law.

Well, I don't know how they do things in Cali but down here in FLA that stuff don't fly. Buddy of mine was on the job and got fired for riding his bike without an MC endorsement. Anybody else would have gotten a warning or a ticket. Seems a little harsh to me. I'm just sayin'.