PDA

View Full Version : tips for teaching someone to ride

xharleyx
08-25-2009, 7:42 PM
well i have discovered that I take my ability to ride for granted, I've been on bikes since before I was big enough to hold them up, and my girl is wanting her own bike which I'm all for, but I just don't want her to get hurt. she's never rode a motorcycle and doesn't even know how to drive stick. this is going to be a long nerve wrecking road but I'm patient, and I know she REALLY wants to.

so any pointers?

NaK
08-25-2009, 7:51 PM
Before you ever let them sit on a running bike make sure they know where all the controls are. Watch all the vids of noobs on youtube, they grab a handfull of throttle and don't even know where the brakes are. I highly recomend enrolling her in a motorcycle safety course.

ChoppyGee
08-25-2009, 7:52 PM
borrow a small 4 stroke dirt bike. find a field. I've tought a few girls this way on my old XR200

CreepyJack13
08-25-2009, 8:19 PM
My girlfriend and I just took a basic rider's safety course. I went because I wanted to avoid the skills test at the CA DMV (took it when I was 19 and failed; 18" apes ARE NOT conducive to passing the skills test), and she went because she really wants to ride, but had never ridden a motorcycle before.

This was a better option than trying to teach her how to ride my bike, or buying her a bike and teaching her on that. After about 20 minutes, she was ready to shift and ride. Worked out well. Now we have to find her a later model Sportster until I get her Triumph finished.

imtheslime
08-25-2009, 8:37 PM
I have to agree with the moto safety coarse(not at HD Dealer). Most are pretty cheap, short and sweet, you get breaks on insurance and a lot will give you proof to take to the DMV where they will give a M endorsement. Save yourself some nerves too, and the possibility of her putting your ride down.
http://www.msf-usa.org/

And if your hell bent on doing it yourself. Make sure she understands it doesn't steer like a car and that she needs to turn her head and look where she wants to go.

eightthirtysixcc
08-25-2009, 8:45 PM
Best tip I know is always look where you want to go. I don’t know how many times I see people looking at the ground or fixating on an object and plowing into it.

CreepyJack13
08-25-2009, 8:50 PM
I have to agree with the moto safety coarse(not at HD Dealer). Most are pretty cheap, short and sweet, you get breaks on insurance and a lot will give you proof to take to the DMV where they will give a M endorsement. Save yourself some nerves too, and the possibility of her putting your ride down.

And if your hell bent on doing it yourself. Make sure she understands it doesn't steer like a car and that she needs to turn her head and look where she wants to go.

On top of all that, they do teach important stuff like counter steering, downshifting, etc., stuff that I wouldn't have thought about because I've been riding for so long.

I do have to say, though, that in my humble opinion, some of the folks that we were in the riding portion of the course with (everyone passed, by the way) should never, ever, for never ever ever ride a motorcycle ever again. One guy that kept stalling and damn near dropping his bike every chance he got actually said that as soon as he passed the class he was going to get a Ducati of some description. I haven't been watching the obits, but...

CreepyJack13
08-25-2009, 8:59 PM
Oh yeah, regarding the cost, the basic course was $250, while the course at the HD dealer was double that.

We got one classroom session that was five hours long. The time passed pretty quickly, and I wasn't bored much.

Saturday and Sunday were both another five hours each, all on the "range", which was part of the VA Hospital parking lot in Westwood. They supplied bikes (all 250cc and smaller), helmets, gloves, and a port-a-john. You supply time, money, your own food and water, a long sleeved shirt or jacket, and boots. Requirements in your state may vary.

rus
08-25-2009, 9:12 PM
$250, 2 or 3 days, 8 hours a day or so.
you get your license and discount on insurance.

you can probably learn as much about riding just by doing it, but the class gives you the confidence to not kill yourself while you're trying to learn. definitely worth the time and money.

imtheslime
08-25-2009, 9:18 PM
$250, 2 or 3 days, 8 hours a day or so.
you get your license and discount on insurance.

you can probably learn as much about riding just by doing it, but the class gives you the confidence to not kill yourself while you're trying to learn. definitely worth the time and money.

$250 damn! It's like $100 at the local community college here in Las Vegas. That's like HD Dealership prices.

BlueCollarMoto
08-25-2009, 9:18 PM
It was only $75 when I was a kid. Do it! I picked up a bike last year for Mary and we took it out a few times in a big parking lot. She loved it but forgot to put her leg down the last run. When I can afford it she's taking the class. Worth every penny. And no more beer shooting out my nose!

KT
08-25-2009, 9:21 PM
I think the class would be a good thing if ya have the cabbage for it .... I just moved the boy up from a crf 50 to a xr 75 to learn how to shift and all that so I can put him on the XL 125 ,but I have a 100 acre farm to let him go ride on too .....

If ya know anyone with a field and a small dirt bike I think that is a good safe way though ...What I did with the boy was put him on the bike made him get familiar with it ..then told him to just putt around in 1st gear and practice pulling in the clutch , coming to a stop and taking off again ...Once he got that down I had him shift into second ride around go back into 1st stop take off and repeat for the other 2 gears till he could ride in all gears and shift and stop under control...... I think slow riding for your first hour or so is more helpful ,than just grabbin gears and hopeing for the best ..(how I was taught)... Helps build balance clutch throttle brake response...When I started doing observed Trials I would spend hours and never get out of 2nd gear....

fouraceswes
08-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Alright, any schmuck (myself included) that thinks they can teach a friend, girlfriend, mom or dad to ride is STUPID. Don't do it. If you have taken the motorcycle safety course, then you are barely qualified to ride your own bike. If you have not, you should take the class and see how many bad (read death inviting) habits you have. I been riding for 20 years and I suck at the important stuff they teach in the classes. How are you gonna feel when you have to be in the room when your in-laws decide to pull the plug on the drooling vegetable that used to be your wife because you hauled her out to a field with a dirt bike and "taught her how to ride." Leave it to the professionals.

JL
08-25-2009, 11:57 PM
Leave it to the professionals.
Absolutely. It also saves an awful lot of time. My wife is an instructor, and I'm often amazed at the progress she makes in a couple of hours with people I'd regarded as no-hopers.

swellguy
08-26-2009, 12:02 AM
These days $250 is bargain for something like this, especially since they supply bikes. The local dealer here advertises something like $500 but you do get to ride a Blast . . . plus 10% off all accessories you buy for your new bike, provided you buy them when you buy your bike.

KT
08-26-2009, 5:03 AM
Alright, any schmuck (myself included) that thinks they can teach a friend, girlfriend, mom or dad to ride is STUPID. Don't do it. If you have taken the motorcycle safety course, then you are barely qualified to ride your own bike. If you have not, you should take the class and see how many bad (read death inviting) habits you have. I been riding for 20 years and I suck at the important stuff they teach in the classes. How are you gonna feel when you have to be in the room when your in-laws decide to pull the plug on the drooling vegetable that used to be your wife because you hauled her out to a field with a dirt bike and "taught her how to ride." Leave it to the professionals.

Yea well ...umm... your breath stinks heheheh =P

In my family teaching family how to shoot and ride a bike come hand in hand though we ride Trials dirt racing and super bike ...we have people that are not your average stupid smuck we are a special breed of stupid LOL

Motorradfahrer
08-26-2009, 9:24 AM
I took the MSF training course in CA about 5 years ago. I think it was $200 or so. Worth every penny. If you're worried about the expense, think about all the good habits that your girlfriend/wife will learn from the class and she'll eventually get her money back because she'll get an insurance discount when for taking the course.

Rudehog
08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
The safety course is an absolute must and I am a firm believer in taking a person out to a field to get some serious seat time on a small 4 stroke for the sole purpose of learning the limitations of a motorcycle in a safer environment . A person should be comfortable knowing rpm range for any giving speed, how to control a bike with the brakes locked up in a skid or how much brake pressure to apply before it locks up, proper body English while going into turns..etc.

I think taking the course should be first and with out any time lapse after completing the course, some time in the dirt to get more comfy with a machine and immediately getting some miles on the street.

Riding in the dirt will help teach a person how to respect what a bike can do in many situations while in a somewhat more forgiving environment

Important: don't let time lapse in between the course completion and good seat time (street or dirt)

crownmotorz
08-26-2009, 10:17 AM
I have been riding dirt bikes for like 8 years, i started riding on the street about 2 years ago without a liscence. i finally decided to take the safety coarse think it was just going to be an easy pass and i can get my liscence without stading in line. but holy shit i almost got kicked out of the class because my habits where so bad he said i was a danger to my fellow students. also he didnt like the fact that i showed him up in the uturn box while standing on the seat of the little buel blast. anyways my point of my whole drawn out story is take the class and ride on the dirt. the biggest factor is being confident in your abbilities. in-dicision is what gets you in trouble.

BlueCollarMoto
08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
she'll eventually get her money back because she'll get an insurance discount when for taking the course.

Good point!

Thought I would also mention for anyone who has never taken the class, to call up your insurance and tell them you did. They never asked me for any proof which is a good thing since I took the class in the 80s and no longer have any paperwork.

DirtyPile
08-26-2009, 2:40 PM
here's another vote for the riders safety course, my wife took it after i had taught her to ride dirt bikes, she came back from the class asking me why i didn't teach her this and that. plus most provide small cc easy to ride bikes.
my other suggestion is to get her a bike that's easy to ride for her, we ended up with a used Blast and now she asks me to go ride.

nocoast
08-26-2009, 6:49 PM

I agree that the "rider classes" are great and can teach even experienced riders a lot but people were also riding/learning to ride before these classes were around.

I was taught by the neighborhood drunk that I bought my first bike off of. He gave me the most basic instructions and sent me on my way. That was 10 years ago.

I'm a firm believer in experience. I've seen people pass these tests and be no where near able to start hitting the roads. The class gave them a good foundation, but they need to experience.

Now back to the posters question, when I teach people to ride I do the power walk method. Have the person strandle the bike ( riding postion) and walk the bike forward. When they have enough momentuem, have them slowly release the clutch and "feel" the point where it starts to disengage, then pull the clutch back in. Do this a couple times. Then when they get that done, have them release the fully and without giving it any throttle. After that is mastered let them give it throttle while remaining in first. Go from there. Getting the clutch down is always the hardest part.

Nick
08-26-2009, 7:06 PM
safety class is probly by far the smartest way to go but my wife and I never did it. I recieved a copy of The Complete Idiots Guide to Motorcycles for a Cristmas present right before I took my endorsement test and it helped tremendously. I'd suggest it to any new rider it gives many riding pointers plus a history and mech lesson. It explains two strokes, four strokes, and every part on a bike in the simplest terms.

deucepjd
08-26-2009, 8:43 PM
TAKE IT!!! Local CC will offer it cheap and you can't beat the step by step instruction. plus she won't wreck your bike, or her own new one and decide she doesn't like riding.

swiffer
08-26-2009, 8:46 PM
The riders safety course for sure for many reasons.Before that i would do like i did with all my kids and have her sit on the bike and teach her to just let go of the throttle.{small bike of course}Do that over and over and over{bike not running} until she can do it with out thinking about it for too long.Sounds simple but it sure worked for my kids.

fouraceswes
08-27-2009, 1:15 AM
Looks like most people are smart enough to know they don't know everything already, I guess there are always a few hold outs. I cannot believe someone would tell the whole world that a drunk taught them how to ride and now they are proud to teach others. Wow. Am i the only one who thinks this sounds really. . .CRACK HEADED? I mean is the "walking method clutch technique" your whole cirriculum?

Stone cold sober, actually, two nights in a row!

LUCIFER
08-27-2009, 2:41 AM
http://www.msf-usa.org/ Is 100% the best way to go. She'll be riding in a day or two

KT
08-27-2009, 7:44 AM
Looks like most people are smart enough to know they don't know everything already, I guess there are always a few hold outs. I cannot believe someone would tell the whole world that a drunk taught them how to ride and now they are proud to teach others. Wow. Am i the only one who thinks this sounds really. . .CRACK HEADED? I mean is the "walking method clutch technique" your whole cirriculum?

I can't speak for the whole drunk taught me to ride thing......I agree with ya on the course thing I know they give good tips my buddy took it instead of taking the riding test ,here in ohio they let you get your endorsement if you take the course without doing the ride testing .....

I have the luck of someone in the family works at the street course teaching and rides super bike plus all the other things we do ....So he is basically a step above the instructor at the DMV.....

The one thing I can't understand is your need to insult ....... I don't think anyone else in here has attacked anyones intelligence to make their point......

I mean telling people they are stupid and crackheads going to put a family member into a coma by playing around on a 50 or small 4 stroker in a open field seems alittle exaggerated but I see what your saying just don't agree with how it comes across .....

Sorry if it makes ya pissy man ... I have seen some of ya stuff and what not and you seem alot cooler than this just trying to put sense to the hostility .... Not picking a fight here I just hate to see this place turn like the others and people starting talking shit to each other over something that really isnt a big issue......WoW I can't believe my little angry ass is trying to keep it polite LOL

IronHollie
08-27-2009, 1:35 PM
the MSF in ohio is $25. i can't believe some of you had to pay so much.

nocoast
08-27-2009, 2:43 PM

Yep, a drunk taught me how to ride. I was always hanging around there and him and his buddy's got me into riding. They drank, smoked and wrenched in the garage all summer, and to a kid, I thought that was cool. I still do it fact cause thats what I do now. Am I proud, Fuck yeah I am. I've taught many friends and girlfriends to ride. When we ride I watch over them and give pointers along the way. I'm pround of that too.

I've put enough miles under my belt that I feel I can teach someone the basics, just like they were taught to me. Am I a certified MSF instructor, no. But I taught my niece how to ride a bicycle last summer and I not a certified bicycle safety intructor either. I must be a wild man, uh aces.

I don't know or care how you got started but it sounds like you were one of those dudes who bought a bike but was to scared to ride it. I bet a lot of people here learned to ride by a friend/ dad/uncle etc.

The 'power walk" method is not my whole curriculum, its a tip. Like what the poster asked for.

seventhirteen
08-27-2009, 2:51 PM
My wife took the safety course here in san diego it was $200, you get a break on cycle insurance and don't have to take the test at the dmv, the course was much more complex than the dmv test which is retardedly easy and teaches you nothing.

having some basic knowledge before you take the class wouldn't hurt, an open field, empty parking lot or whatever with a bit of light riding and basic bike understanding would be smart. my wife already knew how to ride a motorcycle and has in the past, there were people in the class that were riding a motorcycle for the very first time in the class and struggling. suppose would depend on the person's skills, if you can't ride a bike maybe shouldn't try a motorcycle, just a thought

xharleyx
08-28-2009, 1:06 AM
thanks for all the replys.

I'm def going to do the safety course, but until then...

I'm going to start my chick out on a minibike til she learns throttle control, then ill ease her into the whole clutch thing. her bike is a 82 xj650 and well u basically have to redline those bikes to pullout. my local tech said pretty much all those bikes are like that. hell i even green horn the damn thing sometimes. so, i may have to find something a bit easier for her to pull out on with a better clutch.

only time will tell

Steze
05-01-2010, 4:06 AM
it has been said already but the course is worth it. they will teach her all weekend on a tiny little bike and walk her through everything. plus you get an insurance discount. also some states require them now even for current license holders. (Texas)

number1son
05-01-2010, 6:18 AM
Just do what I did go to work, come home wondering why the ol'lady's smilling, than wait for your son to tell you she was riding your bike around the block all day.But she should probably take the course, as should I. But you know how that time shit goes when you got the time you don't got themoney.when you got the money you don't got the time.

DarkStar
05-01-2010, 6:26 AM
In Central Iowa, it was $130 for the basic MSF course. I did the weekend program. Easy enough.

First night was a Friday and the instructor told us that we weren't here to read books and we immediately went out to hop on the bikes. We all had 250s. It was a mix of 'em, though. Some dudes were on dual purpose, others had small cruisers. It was all Honda and Suzuki brand.

Got a helluva lot of riding time. Definitely worth the price. I couldn't imagine trying to teach someone on my own. They'd have to learn on a larger bike than they'd be initially comfortable with. I doubt I could give 3 days of multiple hour instruction, etc.

I did keep my MSF course material and my DOT book, so as my friends are taking up riding, I've got something they can preview.

acidline
05-12-2010, 3:31 AM
Can anyone recommend a real cheap bike that would be good for starting out on?

aephilli
05-12-2010, 6:49 AM
Can anyone recommend a real cheap bike that would be good for starting out on?

Honda 250 Rebel, they are everywhere used, and after you learn and want to step up to a larger bike they hold their resale value.

Markee
05-12-2010, 6:55 AM
borrow a small 4 stroke dirt bike. find a field. I've tought a few girls this way on my old XR200

bingo. best way

Aetsh
05-12-2010, 9:08 AM
Msf is the only route, I had only been around the block a few times ever, and I went. I learned so much and moreso, it was a confidence builder.

My weekend course in Ohio was $25. I feel bad some of you had to pay so much more :(.

StoneHead
05-12-2010, 9:21 AM
I've been literally riding for over 30 years and wouldn't turn down the MSF course for cash.
I think the price is retarded, but thats because of the liability involved. Insurance companies suck.
Anyway, just my 2cents. Any new rider, or old rider for that matter, will walk away with new found skill after taking it.

cobra74sparrow
05-12-2010, 11:43 AM
i just took the illinois motorcycle safety course last week. it's free! and i learned alot and dont hafta deal with the dmv.

Fredo
05-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Motorcycle riders safety course is your best bet. They supply the bike, the safe facility and she will be surounded with other new riders.
Don't try to teach her yourself.

billdozer
05-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Have her ride a dirt bike as long as possible, like all summer, and then learn traffic tactics riding pillion with you so she can see real world situations.