PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead 16.5 volt charge!!

DeathTrip
05-03-2018, 6:52 PM
Usual charging issues with my 81 xlh1000.
New battery not charging, I was getting fluctuating voltage to the battery. I could ride, but as soon as I shut down, no restart, read about 10 volts.
So I threw a new regulator in, charged battery, polorized, went for a long ride, no restart again.
Now, at idle I'm getting over 16 volts.
???

TriNortchopz
05-03-2018, 11:54 PM
Usual charging issues with my 81 xlh1000.
New battery not charging, I was getting fluctuating voltage to the battery. I could ride, but as soon as I shut down, no restart, read about 10 volts.
So I threw a new regulator in, charged battery, polorized, went for a long ride, no restart again.
Now, at idle I'm getting over 16 volts.
???

Did you confirm the old regulator was faulty? What type of new regulator did you throw in? Is the system properly grounded? Have you confirmed the new regulator is functioning properly?

Here is a good read which may help:
IronMick’s Complete Guide to Troubleshooting Ironhead Electrical Problems
This article was originally posted on HDforums.com by IronMick in response to one community member’s effort to discover why his Ironhead battery was draining. IronMick’s “guide” works great for the Ironhead, but it can also be used to troubleshoot other bikes’ electrical systems.

Follow this procedure carefully. Do not leave out any steps …
IronHead Charging System Checkout

http://odenmotorshop.com/2013/12/ironmicks-complete-guide-to-troubleshooting-ironhead-electrical-problems/

and a whole lot more for Ironhead Technical here:
http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=465866

and another from the XLforum:
Thread: Ironhead Electrical Tests 1979 XLS...
http://xlforum.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-1266788.html
Read another tread from 2012 with a similar problem and the recommendation from Cycle Electric was to install a generator end cap CE-540.
See that here:
Cycle Electric End Bell Regulator. Cast aluminum end cap regulator features transistorized voltage components and installed end shaft bearing. For use with OEM (65A) generators. Fits 1965-1981 Harley Davidsons with 12 Volt generator. CE-540. $168.95
https://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com/products/detail.php?Cycle-Electric-CE-540-End-Bell-Regulator-3143

DeathTrip
05-04-2018, 7:03 AM
Seems like the stock gen. Picked up the new regulator from a local mc shop, has no brand markings.
It's obvious the gen. Is working, right?
Could it be that the regulator isn't being grounded?
Should the gen be grounded?
Right now, gen is hooked up to the reg, red wire from the reg goes strait to the + battery terminal.

TriNortchopz
05-04-2018, 7:25 AM
2009 Thread: Generator wiring
81 IronHead
Q: My generator is not working. But I'm not sure if it's wired correctly or not.

There is a red wire that comes out of the regulator and goes to a terminal on the generator, there is a green wire that goes to a terminal on the generator, and there is a black wire that goes to the battery.

This is how it was wired when I got the bike, but I'm not so sure it was ever working. There is no generator light, but I think I read somewhere that one of those terminals needs a diode that goes to ground weather you use a gen light or not?

I've read through the stickies, I'm going to test what I can tomorrow, just wondering if the thing is wired correctly, didn't find any info on wiring them.

A: Posted by FourCams:
"It's kinda difficult to answer this because your info says 81 chopper and you don't have any pics. The fact that it's a chopper kinda implys that the stock wiring doesn't exist. Also, we don't know if you have a mechanical regulator or a solid state regulator.
In general:
- The terminal on the generator labled "A" goes to the D+ (or "Gen") terminal of the regulator. That wire is usually red.
- The terminal on the generator labled "F" goes to the DF (or "F") terminal of the regulator. That wire is usually Green.
- The D+ (or "Bat") terminal of the regulator goes to the battery
- The D- (or "Gnd") terminal of the regulator goes to a good clean ground.
If there is no ground terminal on your voltage regulator the regulator housing is grounded via the mounting bolt and usually a serated washer is used on the bolt that secures it.

If you are using an end-mounted Cycle Electric voltage regulator you can find the wiring instructions here: http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

AFIK the diode isn't necessary if you aren't using a generator light.

Don't forget to polarize (flash) the generator.

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=511536

DeathTrip
05-04-2018, 7:48 AM
81 IronHead
Q: My generator is not working. But I'm not sure if it's wired correctly or not.

There is a red wire that comes out of the regulator and goes to a terminal on the generator, there is a green wire that goes to a terminal on the generator, and there is a black wire that goes to the battery.

This is how it was wired when I got the bike, but I'm not so sure it was ever working. There is no generator light, but I think I read somewhere that one of those terminals needs a diode that goes to ground weather you use a gen light or not?

I've read through the stickies, I'm going to test what I can tomorrow, just wondering if the thing is wired correctly, didn't find any info on wiring them.

"It's kinda difficult to answer this because your info says 81 chopper and you don't have any pics. The fact that it's a chopper kinda implys that the stock wiring doesn't exist. Also, we don't know if you have a mechanical regulator or a solid state regulator.
In general:
- The terminal on the generator labled "A" goes to the D+ (or "Gen") terminal of the regulator. That wire is usually red.
- The terminal on the generator labled "F" goes to the DF (or "F") terminal of the regulator. That wire is usually Green.
If there is no ground terminal on your voltage regulator the regulator housing is grounded via the mounting bolt and usually a serated washer is used on the bolt that secures it.

If you are using an end-mounted Cycle Electric voltage regulator you can find the wiring instructions here: http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

Thank you for that, I'll go through some checks with Iron Micks guide, and check the wiring.
I think an upgraded system is on the list for this year.

If wired incorrectly, can I assume that the reg is toast?

farmall
05-04-2018, 4:53 PM
Regulators usually stop charging when they die. If you can find a local starter rebuilder they can test the regulator using a variable DC power supply.

DeathTrip
05-04-2018, 5:59 PM
81 IronHead

In general:

Doing the generator test according tomiron micks guide, my gen is putting out 14-16 volts. That's with my + on the A and my - on ground.

DeathTrip
05-04-2018, 6:28 PM
And now after cleaning gen brushes, contacts, armature. Reinstalling and polarizing...im getting negative voltage

StuckIn1979
05-04-2018, 6:57 PM
I have one of these on my Ironhead, no problems 6 or 7 years later, and no regulator to piss you off while troubleshooting. 'Poweraythor' alternator. If you do a search here it's been mentioned in a few old threads. Also lots of discussion about it on the XL Forum too.

Here is a post Saddlebagrail made on another forum that explains the specs, and has a few pics of it:

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthread.php?9305-12-Volts-alternator-to-replace-generator-old-Harley-Poweraythor-65A-are-now-ready

DustyDave
05-04-2018, 8:29 PM
And now after cleaning gen brushes, contacts, armature. Reinstalling and polarizing...im getting negative voltage

Polarize it! Charging backwards is usually being incorrectly polarized or swapped wires. Once you get it charging the right way again the way to check over charging is to unplug the regulator while it is overcharging. If it stops charging it is the regulator if it keeps overcharging its is in the generator.

DeathTrip
05-05-2018, 6:31 AM
Polarize it! Charging backwards is usually being incorrectly polarized or swapped wires. Once you get it charging the right way again the way to check over charging is to unplug the regulator while it is overcharging. If it stops charging it is the regulator if it keeps overcharging its is in the generator.

If I unplug the regulator, wouldn't all charging stop?

DustyDave
05-05-2018, 7:56 PM
If I unplug the regulator, wouldn't all charging stop?

If all charging stops when you unplug the generator you know that the over charge isn't coming from inside the generator IE a rubbed wire a shorted field something connected wrong. If it continues charging unhook the field wire at the generator if it still charges the problem is inside the generator. Double check that the A and F wires are in the correct place.

DeathTrip
05-07-2018, 9:11 AM
If all charging stops when you unplug the generator you know that the over charge isn't coming from inside the generator IE a rubbed wire a shorted field something connected wrong. If it continues charging unhook the field wire at the generator if it still charges the problem is inside the generator. Double check that the A and F wires are in the correct place.

I have green to F, tan to A, and red from regulator to battery.
One thing that I've noticed is that the gen. Has no ground. Is it grounded through the regulator?