PDA

View Full Version : Looking for people that own a Mid USA Replica Springer...

TridentCycleSupply
04-16-2018, 2:06 PM
I have been checking these out lately and would like info from people that actually own one or have installed one. I am not expecting the quality to be up to the replicas made in Europe but would like to hear about any major issues. I also have concerns about the quality of chrome, so anyone that has a chrome one that has had it for a bit, how is the chrome holding up?

I know there are threads on these already but I didn't see any first hand experience, just a lot of speculation and opinions on the company as a whole.

example: https://www.easternperformance.com/mid-usa-chrome-hardbody-antique-style-vintage-20-springer-fork-front-end.html

usmc50lx
04-16-2018, 2:42 PM
I have one on my Pan, chrome is like any other Chinese made part so its not the best, but not as terrible as some pitted up swap meet find

I ground the brake stay tab off and painted the rear leg after stripping the chrome and it has a good bit of copper under it.
Mechanically I haven't had a single issue, in fact its way better than the DNA I ran on another bike. Just takes a little maintenance. 83336

TridentCycleSupply
04-16-2018, 3:02 PM
I have one on my Pan, chrome is like any other Chinese made part so its not the best, but not as terrible as some pitted up swap meet find

I ground the brake stay tab off and painted the rear leg after stripping the chrome and it has a good bit of copper under it.
Mechanically I haven't had a single issue, in fact its way better than the DNA I ran on another bike. Just takes a little maintenance. 83336

Thanks for the reply, how long have you had it? And has any rust come through the chrome? I have a taiwan spool wheel and the chrome spokes look like shit after a year.

Also, how did you go about stripping the rear leg and have you applied any kind of top coat sealant or wax to to the parts you left chrome?

Bike looks great!

usmc50lx
04-16-2018, 3:24 PM
Its been on the road a lil over year, but I've had the springer about a year and a half. So not that long in the grand scheme of things. No rust popping through but I keep it fairly clean, just one coat of Turtle wax on the chrome from getting the build finger prints off. I stripped it in a media blast cabinet and used a DA to smooth it for paint.

04-24-2018, 1:38 PM
I have one that is black with chrome springs. Mine is the 20" model which is 2 inches longer than a stock HD springer. I bought mine based on the recommendation of Irish Rich and I have not been disappointed.

3astco4st
12-24-2018, 6:25 PM

Appologies for digging up an older thread but what length is that on your pan usmc50lx?