PDA

View Full Version : Narrow Bar mirrors, I need to see!!

littledill
04-12-2018, 9:22 AM
So I know mirrors are not exactly the coolest on chops but, I live in Florida and ride every day and need to see who is trying to kill me.

I have narrowed h bars and have tried a handful of mirrors. If I mount on top I see my shoulder. If I mount under I dont see anything, and the mirror hits my tank.

I tried the clamp mirror from lowbrow and tried a few spots and still see my shoulders or the ground.

Any other options? Maybe a bar end mirror, but they are hard to find (inexpensive) for 1" bars.

Thanks

james69
04-12-2018, 11:01 AM
I remember seeing a guy running a clamp mirror on his fork tube. I thought it looked good but no idea how well it actually functions. Might have just been there to keep the man off his back.

Supertjeduc
04-12-2018, 11:06 AM
I have a crg lanesplitter
http://supertjeduc.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2816593852-5.jpg

littledill
04-12-2018, 12:37 PM
I tried that and it was strictly to keep the police from harassing me

littledill
04-12-2018, 12:37 PM
I have a crg lanesplitter
http://supertjeduc.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2816593852-5.jpg

Nice Bike, I will google that

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
04-12-2018, 1:47 PM
After becoming a hood ornament and hit the windshield of a speeding drunk driver texting (she was doing 75-80mph) I am pretty paranoid about getting hit again from my 6. So, I tend to ride very aggressive and faster than the flow of traffic. (Cant take me out from behind if i am faster).
But I got some mirrors down in the shop for my Buell that people seem to like in the Buell & Ducati forums, Got them off ebay but cant recall the names. I also have the lollypops on my other Buell and mixed reviews on them, they work well, but not popular for style. I have some older British cafe racer bar ends as well, They are nice because the fold up when you want to for more clearance when parked. ( A 1st world problem to have too many motorcycles that parking is a problem). Most of the UK made stuff is made for 7/8ths bars but some Brit bikes had 1" bars. Some brands have adapters too so some adapters are better than others. The gold standards are "Stadium" Brand and very well made, Good chrome, good mirror glass and just a night & day difference between the shitty repops and the real deal.
But with all the modern retro styled bikes like the new Triumph bobber it seems to me the selections are better these days.
I can post pix of some of my stuff, some is installed and some on the shelf if you are interested. But its time consuming and hard to find something that looks good, works and decent quality. So, my advice is go outside the chopper world and look around,
Style points are one thing when parked but the end of the day its more important to not get killed or maimed.
You dont want to be a drooling idiot like me. Drain Bramage aint no fun.

tzienlee
04-12-2018, 4:09 PM
the other solution which is real easy is to fit wider bars,.... may not look ''cool'' but they would also improve handling ............... $00.02

captseadog
04-12-2018, 4:58 PM
I love the crg bar ends too! Never wanted mirrors on my panhead but after having to convince a state trooper i wasnt try to run just had no mirrors i was convinced it needed to go on. I run one on the left side and it works perfect, I have short 22 inch drag style bars and get a perfect view behind me. They are only 2 inches in diameter so it is a small view but all that is needed.

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
04-13-2018, 1:07 AM
One correction, The Bar end mirrors I talked about earlier are no longer made (Stadium brand) but they are still being made by a company called Halcyon,
Here is an example for one used one in decent shape & comes with sleeves for 1" bar (new, they are NOT cheap, but when you hold it in your hand and see it in person you see why)
See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Halcyon-Bar-End-Mirror-/263566120710?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Bike master has some for $55 a pair but there is a LOT of them on the web.
See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BAR-END-MIRROR-SET/222882660027?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.M BE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3D47f428aafa4d49a ab7c51bbbc235b6b4%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D 12%26sd%3D263566120710%26itm%3D222882660027&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

But it also depends on WHERE you ride. Some states require mirrors on both sides, and others only one so make sure before a road trip. I NEVER have been pulled over for a VIN and safety inspection on a stock looking bike but I HAVE had it happen on customs. Usually a harassment situ,, But a ticket is a ticket. So I know a lot of old guys and they all say the same thing. Do whatever custom stuff you want, but make sure you are 100% legal, Dont create a reason to get pulled over.
In my state Ape hangers over shoulder height were illegal. A local civil rights atty got that overturned. Same with Beanie helmets, got it in the courts Police are not safety engineers and cant tell if a helmet meets DOT or not when you ride by.
But the point is it doesnt take a lot to get pulled over and if you look, dress and resemble Charles Manson & ride a stretched out chopper you will be seeing officer friendly a lot.

TriNortchopz
04-13-2018, 2:14 AM
So I know mirrors are not exactly the coolest on chops but, I live in Florida and ride every day and need to see who is trying to kill me.

I have...tried a handful of mirrors...Any other options?
Thanks

Here's a 'handful' option:

Rearview Hand Mirror;
Now here's a footy way for bikers and cyclists to add an extra layer of safety to their rides. Cheaper than a bag of chips, and way cheaper than assuming nothing's there and being wrong, too. CIPA's rearview hand mirror consists of a convex lens attached to an adjustable Velcro strap that fits and functions over gloves, and on either the left or right hand. The mirror is also vibration-free so you won't vomit while looking at it.
http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/entertainment/sporting-goods/rearview-hand-mirror.asp

and

Reevu Rear-View Motorcycle Helmet
Reevu has developed a rear-view motorcycle helmet that uses a reflective polycarbonate plate to broadcast an image of what’s behind the rider into the field of view. According to the company’s website, “the optical device ‘bends light’ around the shape of the head all within the outer shell casing,” displaying it on a thin mirror that sits just above eye level. Reevu claims that “when you wear a Reevu Motorbike helmet your view of the road is not affected in any way” and that “you see the road behind you with your peripheral vision.”
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/reevu-rear-view-motorcycle-helmet/

and

andri
04-13-2018, 5:04 AM
My favorite setup by far :cool:

littledill
04-13-2018, 7:15 AM
Thanks! I can see the quality in the halcyon

littledill
04-13-2018, 7:16 AM
My favorite setup by far :cool:

Thats pretty much my set up

brooklynbomber
04-13-2018, 9:07 AM
I use one of those convex mirrors on a 3” little control mounted mirror from lowbrow or whoever makes them. I saw Pangea Speed makes a really expensive clamp on convex mirror to help widen your view so I just took the idea, went to autozone and bought a cheap stick on 3” convex mirror. Wider bars helped too.