PDA

View Full Version : removing jacked up chrome...idears?

wot2t
09-28-2017, 8:09 PM
got a '00 dyna a few days ago. it's a little banged up but it runs good. chrome is peeling off bad around the cam cover and rocker boxes. i was peeling off chunks today and joking around about putting it on ebay, "genuine harley davidson chrome, 5$." is there a good way to remove it? chemical style even? i could go blast it off there with the wire wheel, but that's gonna take some elbow grease, and probably get all hot and warp shit.

i'm a new guy here. throw some idears at me.

wot2t
09-28-2017, 8:28 PM
oh yeah, duh....

search works.

farmall
09-28-2017, 8:33 PM
Replace the peeling parts with unchromed parts. Ebay is your friend.

klondikekid64
09-28-2017, 9:59 PM
Chrome shops take off chrome too, and it's not expensive.

SamHain
09-28-2017, 10:44 PM
I've never had luck. Comes back from chrome shops sort of removed.

wot2t
09-28-2017, 11:24 PM
after i used the search button, i came to terms with the fact that this problem, like most others, will be best solved with an angle grinder....but those emd cam covers do look pretty fuckin cool...

i'll get a nice big fancy bucket of cold water and take it slow. i'm super good at sand paper. i sand papered up like 2hp once.

tzienlee
09-29-2017, 2:03 AM
I fucking Hate Chrome !!....
since Harley stopped using good quality Aluminum in about 84 & went for di-cast/investment cast alloys for a lot of parts, the aluminium just wont hold a polish,...
looks good for a day then tarnishes over night,...
if ya look at any of their new bikes the covers are either painted , clear coated or chromed,....
its because the ally they now use is Shit to say the least........
there is nothing nicer than polished good quality aluminium,
you can leave it to rot for 10 years but a bit of elbow grease, wet & dry paper & compound and you can bring it back to better than new,..... ya can't do that once its been chromed !....
once chrome goes, the only real way to fix is to get it stripped at a chrome shop, then polished, powder coated or painted, or even re-chromed...
if di-cast I'd just paint it but I don't have anything that new,
blasting can bugger the surface up as the chromed part (being harder than the Ally) wont be cut as easily as the part that has peeled, leaving a wavy un-even surface, same with a wire wheel.
if you can afford new covers or damn good used ones off of ebay it probably is the way to go.... BUT, if it's chromed, keep it well waxed to help keep the rot away as chrome is porous & does let moisture through it surface & is where the rot starts.

Dragstews
09-29-2017, 4:55 AM
I really like the polished look....

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/dragstews/Pan/IMG_0382_zpsjmn6bs1g.jpg~original

This tranny was fully polished and then powder coated with clear to keep the polished from oxidizing ....

I do a lot of powder, into a job at the moment that will be seeing chrome powder applied...
Cam, Rockers and Primary was in super rough state, in order to do chrome, would need mega time spent welding and dressing in...
Instead we used Lab-Metal to fill dents/bubbles ....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXrdVMwx-sx1HVZnMv20ovg93PD0p8rncTk3jB7MaciaiBQZrR

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsbp1JgLTD-rrVTGqs5aWwjCgEbukl8_PVZblS_OHRDXdTHE8n7w

This took weeks to do ...
Powder takes only a few days (Most time is spent doing the perp)