PDA

View Full Version : OK,,, so now I wanna build something bigger and better

Webrat
09-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Aight now,,
Finished my XS chop,,, and it runs and looks great but when I get out with all my Harley buddies I play catch up all the time,, especially on the highways.
So I have come to the inevitable conclusion I need to go bigger and better,, Well as big is misleading as I am a sawed off fuck of 5'5"..
Thinking a plunger/Amen style frame where I have the looks of the hardtail but some semi comfortable rear suspension to not destroy my aging back. Engines ??/ I really like the "panhead" looks,,, can it be had where it looks old but is made with modern technology? Like a 5 or 6 speed? Front end I would love to use a springer style, just to keep the flow of "old" ...

So I am gonna be hunting parts,,,and soliticing advice and recommendations on shit as this will be my first Harley.

dirtygrotonscoundrel
09-27-2017, 1:02 PM
Sounds like you want an S&S Panhead (https://www.sscycle.com/products/P93H-Complete-Assembled-Engine-for-1970-99-Chassis/).

You could pair that with a Baker transmission to get a pretty modern moving bike with a vintage look. NOT CHEAP, but it can be done.

horseshoe
09-27-2017, 1:20 PM
I've never had a problem keeping up with Harley's on my CB750.

Ratholecustoms1
09-27-2017, 3:30 PM
It's hard to beat the old ironhead sportys they are relatively cheap to pic up weld on a hardtail I'm 47 with back problems an I found run the rear tire at 25 pounds for single 30 for a rider rides as good as a swingarm just a little bouncy on curves

Tattooo
09-27-2017, 5:00 PM
I found run the rear tire at 25 pounds for single 30 for a rider rides as good as a swingarm just a little bouncy on curves

I'm surprised it bounces in a curve at 25 lbs... I only run 15 lbs on the rear on my pan and knuck... Yes it bounces in the curves but it's really smooth other wise.........

Try running lower pressure in the rear your back will thank you.......

farmall
09-28-2017, 9:19 AM
Set your max budget first and have a specific idea of how much at a time you can spend then post that figure for specific advice.

What do you want to DO with the motorcycle? Even on a chopper that matters.

I suggest buying a runner or at least a complete bike to modify to cut overall cost. Default safe answer is get an Evo because the cost delta between that and a reliable Panhead or clone is several thousand dollars minimum. You can retrofit a Pan clone with an alternator left side case later if you want to ride the thing and aren't fat with cash right now.

Make a spreadsheet to compare prices. Math is ruthless.

Standard reliable big twin base is an Evo Softail drivetrain, preferably with a titled frame, so buying a running or decent garage sitter Softy would get you going quicker. Backs don't improve with age so think HARD about how much pain you'll be willing to endure for looking cool when parked.

Old suspensions are pretty but they cannot be made comfortable by modern standards due to geometry and lack of travel. (The old buddy seats work but aren't chopulent.)

For something less traditional and much more spine-friendly you could do an Evo Dyna. keep the swingarm and run a Wide Glide. Having one motorcycle you can put serious miles on without your kidneys flying out your asshole is probably a good idea. Your call.

If cash flow prohibits a big twin, get an Evo Sportster.

Webrat
09-29-2017, 5:37 AM
Set your max budget first and have a specific idea of how much at a time you can spend then post that figure for specific advice.

What do you want to DO with the motorcycle? Even on a chopper that matters.

I suggest buying a runner or at least a complete bike to modify to cut overall cost. Default safe answer is get an Evo because the cost delta between that and a reliable Panhead or clone is several thousand dollars minimum. You can retrofit a Pan clone with an alternator left side case later if you want to ride the thing and aren't fat with cash right now.

Make a spreadsheet to compare prices. Math is ruthless.

Standard reliable big twin base is an Evo Softail drivetrain, preferably with a titled frame, so buying a running or decent garage sitter Softy would get you going quicker. Backs don't improve with age so think HARD about how much pain you'll be willing to endure for looking cool when parked.

Old suspensions are pretty but they cannot be made comfortable by modern standards due to geometry and lack of travel. (The old buddy seats work but aren't chopulent.)

For something less traditional and much more spine-friendly you could do an Evo Dyna. keep the swingarm and run a Wide Glide. Having one motorcycle you can put serious miles on without your kidneys flying out your asshole is probably a good idea. Your call.

If cash flow prohibits a big twin, get an Evo Sportster.
================================================== ======
THANKS Farmall,,,,
That is what I was hoping to hear,, money isn't really an issue but my 60 year old back is.
Guess I'm gonna start looking and seeing what is around.
Only thing is that I am gonna have to being the seat sown to around 28 inches or less,, as I am kinda on the short side.
THANKS EVERYONE for the suggestions and hints.

farmall
09-29-2017, 3:15 PM
money isn't really an issue but my 60 year old back is.

Proper swingarm, rubbermount engine, spare thick comfy seat when not barhopping and check into lowering blocks vs. short shocks vs. perhaps a gel seat. You can also buy gel inserts and have your local auto upholsterer do you a custom recover of a stock pan. I don't own a Dyna because I prefer FXRs but Dynas are good machines.

Your other option if it doesn't have to look traditional at all is get an FXR. My midget Sportster riding bro loves his. I suggested an FXR and let him ride mine then helped him find a nice '89. They are light, they handle, they are comfortable for long range trips, and they'll take any drivetrain ya want to stuff in one.

If you want a cool project you can ride until you are a lot older and more fucked up (I'm 57 and my MRI terrifies lay people), get a ragged FXR, part out what you don't use and install a Twin Cam takeout. Alternate option, an S&S V111 but the Twin Cam will be less expensive and Delkron doesn't make FXR inner primaries any more though supposedly the V-Twin inner is a good part.

Once you mod the frame you can revert from a TC to an Evo because they fit. I installed a 1997 bagger box on my 88 to get rid of the stock starter, tapered shaft clutch hub and oil tank. I made my crossmember removable so I can drop the pan and you can't see it unless you look under the bike. I use a classic Harley jiffy stand since the stock FXR stand is shit. Any purists this bothers can tonguepunch my fartbox. It works MUCH better.

Classic chopper folk art is fun but motorcycles don't get jealous of each other so why not have a variety?

Alternate alternate option is buy a decent FXR, ride it and gradually mod to your preference.

thecarfarmer
10-04-2017, 4:22 PM
I've picked up two good sayings from the CC so far today. I guess learning to read was worth it, after all.

"tonguepunch my fartbox" and "don't marry what you can pimp"

Gold, pure gold.

DanAz
10-08-2017, 1:41 AM
:D
LOL!! The first hit is on the house!
I'd research the frame first. They may look cool, but years ago they were considered death traps. I had one at one time I picked up for $250 at a swap. Fucked with it for awhile trying to re-engineer the rear end to be tighter. Finally gave up and sold it, with full explanation of that hazards as I knew them.
My rigid with springer and sprung seat rides as comfortable as my bagger for first couple hours. Then the vibrations start bugging my shoulders and below.
Rides like a rocket on rails though.

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
10-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Those old Savior and Amen frames with the rigid looks but the pogo spring setups are a waste of time. Find someone with one and try it out and you will see. They look interesting and cool but dont work well at all. Plus they add a lot of weight for little benefit.

Its just a copy of an old design called "Plunger frame" and they came stock on a variety of BSA, Nortons and Ariels. My wifes 48 Norton has that setup stock, and I am selling off a 1952 BSA A10 with that setup as well. (The BSA Golden Flash is not very fast, but it looks cool) In the 1950s BSA dealers in the US wanted high performance hot rods as that was their market,. Knowing the new Swingarms were coming out in a soft release in 54 BSA cobbled together a limited number of "Super Flash" or Some variants i have built called "Hot Flash" with hot cams, high compression and alloy heads and most accounts (And in my opinion as well) they made just enough power to be rather scary to ride as they had more power than the brakes or suspension was capable of. (Think about a rigid chopper on a MX track whoop de dos will give you a good approximation).

Farmalls advice of Dyna or FXR is sound reasoning. The FXR is a cult bike for people who actually value riding, performance and handling over riding a farm tractor adorned with Live to ride bling and fringe.
The history is very interesting on them, both the maneuvering to get them built as well as WHO did the design work. HD wanted the Norton isolastic design and the Limeys said no even though cash starved. So HD did the next best thing and stole their chief engineer. John Favill who I have met and spoke with is a very interesting guy and his insights on the difference between working for Norton and HD is great stuff.
They came up with an interesting design for the FXRs and thats why they are so popular with people who value handling as much as a HD can do. A few other upstart engineers cut their teeth in that program as well. A guy named Eric also worth learning about. Full of unconventional ideas. He went on to start his own company. Might have heard of him. BUt Eric Buell knows a thing or 2 about performance.

FXRs dont come up often but its worth looking for a decent one and they dont tend to sell for crazy money.

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
10-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Okay not mine, dont know the seller, but this is cool as hell. (That rear fender needs to go) But depending on gearing will smoke most HDs, and look totally cool

See: https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/d/honda-cb-750-chopper/6337690453.html

I have had this project way too long (because I love it) and time to let it go. Finances forces sale. Low mile, clean, great running motor. Re chromed forks, nice Avon Venom in front, Perrelli mounted on a nice old 15 inch Invader mag, new $130 sealed battery, new tank, new seat, a box FULL of nice parts included, new velocity stacks, new finned valve covers, and more finned motor covers, nice forwards controls with machined mounts, etc.. Bike is titled in my name. This is a project, it will need the electrical wired up, coils, timing, carb clean, controls welded together with linkage attached, etc. Great beginning to a nice chopper. $1500 OBO

Now down to $1400, Apparently its actually in Seattle? But such a deal!