PDA

View Full Version : Average prices for Shovels and Evos

jcook5003
09-26-2017, 7:03 AM
Shopping for my next project. I aim to attempt my first total build from beginning to end. As such I've been shopping power plants and the pricing seems all over the place.

So what gives. For a nice running engine what's the average price on the east coast for a cone shovel vs an evo?

I've already got a cone and damn nothing sounds better or is as easy to work on for the average guy, but the reliability and cost seem to drive me back towards an evo.

So what's a fair starting price for each?

Tattooo
09-26-2017, 9:08 AM
If it's price your looking at buy an EVO........... $1000.00 to $2500.00 for a parts to nice motor..... But it also depends on who has it and how nice it is........

farmall
09-26-2017, 9:13 AM
Is there a particular reason you don't want to buy a runner or a complete garage sitter then part out the leftovers?

Motors commonly go about 1500. You can match that on Ebay and it'll show up at your house on a truck.

Building from parts is usually retarded unless you score a particular deal or are going to rebuild everything anyway, and makes titling much less convenient unless you get a titled frame. It's not cheaper and you usually don't get to hear the engine run. You do get the joy of getting nickel and dimed to death for little shit.

If you have a Shovel then get an Evo big twin, but the overall completed cost shouldn't be any different. An Evo is as easy to work on as a cone Shovel, there's little difference except the Shovel trans/primary/starter are shit by comparison with spline shaft Softail five speeds.

What style machine do you want to end up with? That matters for the donor.

Winter is coming. I'd set aside about 2800-3800 for the hunt. Buying an inferior machine to start with usually backfires.

What's your projected total budget?

jcook5003
09-26-2017, 9:37 AM
Total project budget is up in the air at this time. I'm considering this build my long term build because I want to g through every nut and bolt myself and truly understand what's ticking and clicking when you go down the road. No one to blame but my own dumb ass that way.

The reason I don't want to start with a garage sitting bike is I can't find what I'm looking for that way. The end result will be an FLH style bike for touring with the old lady. Classic good looks with no Dyna nonsense tacked on and no fake hardtail look with a softail.

I know I could rework the seat post on an original FL frame to fit an evo, but it seems like a lot of work to have to reweld some fucked up AMF welds anyway when I could order a custom built frame with good steel, no previous wrecks and good welds. The only advantage I see with going with the AMF frame is for titling purposes, I know it would never sell for what I'd have in it anyway and a true shovel guy wouldn't want it anymore and most evo guys would want a Softail anyway.

Something about an exposed shock touring setup really makes me giddy like a little girl. Full FL fenders and trim, 3.5 gallon bobs and subtle paint. Soft bags. That's the end goal. I know it would be cheaper to buy a Heritage Softail but I can't stand the look.

Benny74
09-26-2017, 3:51 PM
I just picked up a titled, numbers matching shovel for $2750. It needs a top end rebuild, but the frame is good and so is the tranny. If you're patient you can find good deals. Just be ready to haggle and walk away if need be.

farmall
09-27-2017, 3:59 PM
There may be other. valid justifications but a frame ain't one.

AMF welds are just welds. (AMF actually saved HD, though some of their QC turned to shit later) Harley production frames ain't artwork but I've never seen one fall apart on its own. If it's done right no Shovel guy should pantywad. Fuck, it's free extra maintenance access. If they are restoring they'd buy another beast and the stock frame castings are a lot of the look you are after.

If you can find one, and so far they have mysteriously escaped being a fad, the early "shovel frame style" Evo Wide Glides are already what you seek. It would be worth a long drive to get one to old-school FLify as you describe. I'll go several hours for the right bike since time and fuel are cheap compared to parts.

Scoring an appropriate Shovel then selling the Shovel engine, trans and primary could get you a titled roller for not much money at all.

On the flip side, an Evo Softail has the drivetrain you want but not the rear frame you want. Neck swaps ain't hard and Shovel frames without title are fairly plentiful.

Run the numbers for each potential deal to know your best move because math is ruthless.

Weather should suck soon and holidays are coming up. :)