PDA

View Full Version : making an in-situ trans seal puller

tzienlee
09-25-2017, 7:39 AM
Morning people,..... hope one of youz bums can help,......
I'm making a transmission main seal puller that will allow me to pull a main seal in-situ without taking the trans apart.
mine is assembled at the moment so I cant measure it but have any of you got a sprocket spacer HD # 35070-77,
the one that comes through the seal that the sprocket buts up against, as in the photo below.
to get it accurate I need the outer diameter of the spacer so the puller plate will go over it.
can anyone measure the arrowed part for me please so my turner can get it done for the weekend when I'll get the clutch etc off the bike.
cheers in advance

Sky
09-25-2017, 8:43 AM
Poke a hole in the metal face of the old seal with an awl,
screw a sheet metal screw in the hole and pull with a set of slip joint pliers, or slide hammer, or whatever.
Or
Pry out carefully with a universal, lever type seal puller.
Hell
A flat blade screwdriver will do the trick if yer slick.
Just don't nick the spacer...

tzienlee
09-26-2017, 6:34 AM
Hi people, thanks & yes I know I could just pull it with screws & leavers but I have already made the Tool Other than the last cut on the centre bore hole,I did it all last week so I may as well finish it,...it will work on many seals on many makes of motors so a good addition to my toolbox.... I have guessed the 1.965'' on the drawing and need an accurate measurement off of a spacer,... one of you must have a trans or spacer you could measure for me.....

Blackbetty
09-26-2017, 7:52 AM
HD had a few variations of spacers.

Your tool is an overcomplication for a very straightforward job, sorry. Just center the bit on the seal when you drill and it'll be fine - the bit is captured on the backside by the spacer flange if you put too much mustard into it.

If you really want the measurement I can mic out the spacer for you, but since mine's from a '74 It's doubtful it's a HD # 35070-77

You should also consider one of these spacers if you're in there already - they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOVELHEAD-PANHEAD-SPACER-O-RING-LEAK-FREE-TRANSMISSION-/172885299847?hash=item2840c45287:g:7RcAAOSwRLZT6fy 7&vxp=mtr#viTabs_0

Sky
09-26-2017, 8:07 AM
Overkill can be a good thing... sometimes
1.7455"

tzienlee
09-26-2017, 8:59 AM
Thanks SKY,...That's exactly what I needed !!...
It may be overkill as some have said,..but I did make it before anyone said... ''just put a screw in it and leaver it out''...
I also will be able to use it on other seals & different motors by simply adding some more holes,...
apart from that,....... I'm a Tool Whore & like having the right tool for the right job, hahahahaha....

Tattooo
09-26-2017, 9:03 AM
Isn't chop cult a great place to hang out??? Good to see you are over here............

You can never have to many tools.............

tzienlee
09-26-2017, 11:25 AM
good to hear you are ok Tattoo,....I dunno how or why you & Dragstew ''left'' the ''other place'',... really miss his hi-picture posts on motor & trans builds.... he makes things look easy or at least doable & things to look for.

Tattooo
09-26-2017, 12:01 PM
good to hear you are ok Tattoo,....I dunno how or why you & Dragstew ''left'' the ''other place'',...

LOL It wasn't our choice..... LOL I believe jesse and I left JJ about 45 minutes apart..... LOL

Anyway hang around this is a really nice place to hang out.... There is a lot more going on here.... Again good to see you...

Dragstews
09-26-2017, 12:32 PM
I must be one lazy SOB .... :rolleyes:

Been doing the seal like sky said for years on end ... Sometimes they come out easy, :) sometimes not so easy :( ...

Said to myself .... Self, why don't take life a bit easier and get you one of those kick-ass puller/pusher tools from Jim's...???

Well, after mashing a few fingers :mad: ... I laid out the bucks for that tool and have not had to talk to myself since. ( At least on that issue) :p

Used to install and remove the transmission main drive seal in all 4-speed models from 1936 thru 1976. Will also install main seals in later models when used with the adaptors. This tool will push the seal in as flat and straight as possible to .050" below housing for a no leak fit.

Might say "Priceless" ... :o
.../// https://youtu.be/KGjD8nYygvY \\\...

tzienlee
09-26-2017, 1:07 PM
Hi Jesse,...
good to hear ya alive after the bit of a wind ya had the other week.........
the Jims Tool looks the ''Muttz Nutz'' as we say over here, ... I Bet it cost a fair few Beer Tokens !!,....
the one I'm making so far is about $20 for materials and power,.....
can you measure the ID of yours for me, if it has to be the diameter I need to clear the spacer,....
Sky gave me a measurement but that turned out to be smaller than the new seal I have to go on,... I think he meant 1.8455'' not 1.7455'' unless there were different diameter spacers....It's for use on a 78-79 rotary top transmission.....
ya help with this will be appreciated fella...................

Dragstews
09-26-2017, 1:44 PM
1.800" I.D.

Yeah, would take 2,578 pop bottles at 10 cents each to buy that tool....
(Make that Smithwicks bottles where your at .... ;) )

Tattooo
09-26-2017, 2:00 PM
1.800" I.D.

Yeah, would take 2,578 pop bottles at 10 cents each to buy that tool....
(Make that Smithwicks bottles where your at .... ;) )

Jesse he is magnum45pete over on JJ if you didn't figure it out yet.....

Dragstews
09-26-2017, 2:10 PM
The 45 magnum Guy .....

That bike is way cool ... A bit of a ......

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/99500/Frankenstein-Wearing-Glasses--99964.jpg

(Wonder if the Bolts in Frankie's neck are whitworth ..???) .. :D ..

tzienlee
09-26-2017, 2:12 PM
Yep That was me, sorry forgot I used the other name,...
I no longer have the Magnum so thought a name change was in order ,..
hahahaha.. here we drink an imported Belgian Beer, Stella Artois,.... well worth a try if you can get it Stateside .....
thanks for the 1.800, Jesse,... that sounds about right,... will get it finished and try it at the weekend.
will be back with pics if it works,...on the beer if it doesn't !!.... hahaha

47str8leg
09-27-2017, 3:21 PM
[QUOTE=Tattooo;773002]Isn't chop cult a great place to hang out??? Good to see you are over here............

...provided you stay off the "Trump" thread in the junk pile .
Gets pretty ugly over there...

Tattooo
09-27-2017, 4:53 PM
...provided you stay off the "Trump" thread in the junk pile .
Gets pretty ugly over there...

It has here lately for damn sure............