PDA

View Full Version : What is this doo hickey called.

btalley63
09-17-2017, 9:14 AM
Changed out clutch cable and could use one a hair longer.

Thanks

TravelingBone
09-17-2017, 9:51 AM
I've always called those "barrel adjusters".

Dragstews
09-17-2017, 5:07 PM
This little thingamabob just may be the EASY fix .....

.../// http://www.barnettclutches.com/service_center/default.aspx?faq_id=72 \\\...

farmall
09-17-2017, 5:28 PM
You can't replace the existing adjuster without cutting the ball end off the clutch cable.

However you can take another adjuster, slit it with an abrasive cutting disk to slip over the existing cable, and shorten the threaded end of your modified adjuster so it fits properly between your new cable housing and new cable adjuster. It will act as a stepped split collar.

I had to do this to get a new Barnett cable to work on my '88 FXR. It's buried since I later installed a bagger box so no pics, but you want to end up with "one of these without the nut":

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ns8AAOSw5VFWKoHn/s-l300.jpg

If they make one that fits Harley-diameter clutch cables I've never seen one but it would work nicely.

All you need is your old clutch cable adjuster and a Dremel with some of the fiber-reinforced cutting discs.

1954bmw
09-18-2017, 6:28 AM
why not weld a nut on the transmission mount, that would make the mount thicker providing more adjustment, could even use a coupling nut for a lot of adjustment?????

1954bmw
09-18-2017, 6:53 AM
just had a brain fart, is there any chance we are not adjusting the clutch correctly, and that's why the cable comes up a little short??? (that;s what she said)

Tattooo
09-18-2017, 7:01 AM
just had a brain fart, is there any chance we are not adjusting the clutch correctly, and that's why the cable comes up a little short??? (that;s what she said)

I bet that's some of the problem and I bet he doesn't have a Manual on how to do it correctly..........

Wheelup
09-22-2017, 9:13 AM
Adjustment issue.

Tattooo
09-22-2017, 6:13 PM
Adjustment issue.

What is???????

Jason90
09-25-2017, 5:32 AM
I bet that's some of the problem and I bet he doesn't have a Manual on how to do it correctly..........

My thoughts exactly.

1954bmw
09-29-2017, 9:34 AM
Ok, adjusting the clutch on a early rubber mount ain't that hard, I have an 86 FLHTC and an 85 FXRT and they both look like the picture, I just think the cable housing is a little short, I just shortened how much I backed off the center adjusting screw on the clutch.

farmall
09-29-2017, 3:17 PM
This little thingamabob just may be the EASY fix .....

.../// http://www.barnettclutches.com/service_center/default.aspx?faq_id=72 \\\...

Figures I find out that exists after making one. Yes. Do that.

Dragstews
09-29-2017, 3:34 PM
You recall the spacer that came with the easy boy kit that went on the end of the cable next to the trans end cover... ??
Left you about two threads to screw into the cover...

That doohickey allows all the threads to be used, no need for the kit spacer.....