PDA

View Full Version : PA Swap Meets: any good stuff at Oley or Carlisle?

thibay
09-14-2017, 6:02 AM
Hi everyone,

I'll be in the PA and NJ area next october. I'd like to find my next project there.

Are there some motorcycles or parts at Carlisle Fall swap meet?
Have you guys been already at the Oley one?

Anything cool to recommend?
Thanks by advance,
Thib

Tattooo
09-14-2017, 6:52 AM
Yes GREAT stuff at both...... Just take a pocket full of money............

thibay
09-14-2017, 10:28 AM
Yes GREAT stuff at both...... Just take a pocket full of money............

Thanks! I hoped Carlisle wasn't only for cars.

Tattooo
09-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Thanks! I hoped Carlisle wasn't only for cars.

If you go to Carlisle and spend the night there is a great bar outside the grounds under the over pass that has some great food..... There will be way more car parts but there is some bike parts mixed in.....

farmall
09-14-2017, 12:58 PM
All of Carlisle and Hershey were wonderful in the 1980s when I last visited. No doubt they are even better now. Don't forget bike parts live among some car part flea market loads.

At that time of year (end of riding season) your best bet for a project would be to check Craigslist for complete motorcycles and go to Carlisle and Hershey mostly for fun. I prefer to buy motorcycles from private parties who need the money.

It was common for European visitors before the Recession to come over as a group, buy bikes, fill a container and ship it home for fun and profit. You've some time to plan and check with shippers if you want to do that. The more vintage machines spread worldwide the better the aftermarket for everyone!

FWIW Americans don't know what to do with vintage British machines as most of us aren't used to the amount of routine maintenance required. Many older owners sell 'em off as they give up riding.

Plan your safari and you'll have even more fun. Facebook marketplace is taking off nicely too. Research before you visit to get a feel for prices and don't be shy about asking questions.

PeanutHead
09-18-2017, 8:31 AM
Check out the swap meet at American Classic Motors on Saturday Oct 28, in Zieglerville, PA. I went last year and it was a good turn out. It was well worth the 2 hour drive for me.

thibay
09-19-2017, 4:27 AM
If you go to Carlisle and spend the night there is a great bar outside the grounds under the over pass that has some great food..... There will be way more car parts but there is some bike parts mixed in.....

I'll try that bar thanks!

thibay
09-19-2017, 4:31 AM
Thanks a lot. I'll spend the whole thursday at Carlisle then the Saturday at Oley.
If I can't find something reasonably priced I'll crawl over Craigslist, that was my idea.

Good point on UK bikes! I'm not that far from UK so parts shoudln't be a problem.

thibay
09-19-2017, 4:32 AM
Check out the swap meet at American Classic Motors on Saturday Oct 28, in Zieglerville, PA. I went last year and it was a good turn out. It was well worth the 2 hour drive for me.

Damn I'll be home at that time. Maybe next year.
Is there a reliable swap meet agenda somewhere online?

vonhelmet
09-19-2017, 4:45 AM
I believe the Oley swap is in April and I dont think Carlisle has a harley swap anymore, cant find any info about it on the web. Big AMCA swap in Jefferson PA on September 29-30.

thibay
09-19-2017, 5:01 AM
I believe the Oley swap is in April and I dont think Carlisle has a harley swap anymore, cant find any info about it on the web. Big AMCA swap in Jefferson PA on September 29-30.
That's the one I found: http://www.readingmc.com/events.html
Could be a small MC event which has nothing to do with the April swap?

Thumbs up for the AMCA swap! I'll have a look.

vonhelmet
09-19-2017, 6:37 PM
Actually there are two swaps at Oley Pa. The one in April is by the Perkeomin Chapter of the AMCA, and the one you found which is put on by the Reading MC. That one also has some drag racing as well.

Tattooo
09-19-2017, 8:09 PM
I believe the Oley swap is in April and I dont think Carlisle has a harley swap anymore, cant find any info about it on the web.

I don't think Carlisle ever had a Harley only swap..... There is many people that sell both Harley and car parts..... But with ebay I'm sure there are fewer parts their than there used to be.........

vonhelmet
09-20-2017, 4:51 AM
Could be, but I remember going to some kind of motorcycle swap there a while back. They even had guys doing stunts on dirt bikes and one dude wiped out pretty bad and got taken away in the meat wagon.

hmnavy72
09-24-2017, 7:45 PM
I'll be going to the Carlisle meet next weekend. Not sure if it's cars or bikes, nevertheless I'm sure the fair style food is good. Prob take the cage tho.

Tattooo
09-24-2017, 8:46 PM
nevertheless I'm sure the fair style food is good.

If you have never been you will be very impressed.............. It's better than good..........