PDA

View Full Version : Longhaul checkup.

Clickjack
09-12-2017, 1:07 PM
I've had my 79 80ci shovel for over a year now. I've completely re-wired the bike. And many other little things (all seemed to stem from the last guy who owned the bike). It has never left me stranded.

I'd like to take the occasional trip - but I don't want to end up on the side of the road. What needs to be done maintenance wise to make sure she's in shape for a multi-state run?

Second question. All my bikes (execpt a Ducati) have been carbureted. But this is my first S&S Super E - I left town for 10 days. It was running perfectly when I left. When I get back it's running a little rough, backfireing on the rear cylinder. Feeling a little lag or a cough when I really get on the throttle. Ideas? Why would letting it set for 10 days cause an issue to turn up?

SamHain
09-12-2017, 5:34 PM
Keep a shovel off the side of the road? Leave it in the garage probably. It's bound to happen, shit goes wrong, lot of crap parts out there. I've sheared advance pins, had the damn advance bolt back off, crashed valves into each other(multiple times), broke belts....... takes a lot of luck or treat it like a fragile piece of shit, I don't seem to have the means to do either, twist it until something breaks.

Sitting modern shit gas can clog up jets pretty quick, I feel like timing seems to change on its own every now and then when I leave too long....

Buddy of mine told me bikes are ready after you make 20 trouble free trips, doesn't matter the length. Never been able to pull that off.

Tattooo
09-12-2017, 5:43 PM
Buddy of mine told me bikes are ready after you make 20 trouble free trips, doesn't matter the length. Never been able to pull that off.

You know I guess I'm lucky as fuck..... I've been riding 40+ years and in all that time I have NEVER had a bike leave me on the side of the road EVER........ For many years that was my only transportation.... Rode to Sturgis and Daytona I don't know how many times...... I guess a lot of it is I don't beat the shit out of my bikes...........

farmall
09-12-2017, 6:29 PM
I run cheap ugly plastic 90-degree car filters and don't get any turds in my carbs, but fuel goes bad quickly. I'm surprised it shit the bed after only ten days but gas station fuel tanks are full of surprises. If in doubt, dump your tank and refill while you are at it. Gas is cheap.

Get or put together a stainless Allen head float bowl screw set (makes road service MUCH easier than those stupid cheap common screws they come with) while you are at it then drop your bowl, and pull and clean your jets.

Inspect all your fasteners. I use all-metal locknuts and red Loctite lavishly. I tend to carry a gross overkill toolkit on road trips but haven't had to use it much on my own rides. I review common tasks then fill my tool bag rather than leave the kit sit.

I don't wring my Harleys out. They are ancient agricultural machinery. If I want to go fast I'll buy a nice Jap bike that will take long runny steaming shits all over any HD someone didn't dump thousands of dollars in aftermarket parts into. It's no accident there aren't many factory parts in fast Harleys.

For Shovels (and everything else) I love very tall final drive gearing. Slipping the clutch slightly more on takeoff doesn't hurt it. I copied my wife's custom of of "two teeth more on the trans sprocket and four less on the wheel" (I forget the tooth count) many years ago and it slashes vibration at highway speeds. So do lead fishing sinkers hammered into the handlebar ends.

Most Shovel problems are due to old age and neglect. When I get a new-to-me Harley it now gets a complete new Cycle Electric charging system including rotor (magnet shift can fuck shit up!). I'd at least inspect the alternator-regulator connector and give it a fat spooge of dielectric tuneup grease (after cleaning it with carb cleaner if it's oily) to exclude water and oil.

You can google "S&S cough" for a variety of possible causes.

BuddhahoodVato
09-12-2017, 6:47 PM
Keep a shovel off the side of the road? Leave it in the garage probably. It's bound to happen, shit goes wrong, lot of crap parts out there. I've sheared advance pins, had the damn advance bolt back off, crashed valves into each other(multiple times), broke belts....... takes a lot of luck or treat it like a fragile piece of shit, I don't seem to have the means to do either, twist it until something breaks.

Sitting modern shit gas can clog up jets pretty quick, I feel like timing seems to change on its own every now and then when I leave too long....

Gracias for the chuckle, leave it in the garage.

nmaineron
09-12-2017, 7:55 PM
Get to know your machine.By that I mean, know where your timing is at, it doesn't change by itself. However, if you are running points,as they wear the timing changes. If you don't know how this or that works, find out. It is so much easier to analyze a problem if you know how things work. I don't know how many times I have run into guys that have a problem and don't have a clue how to fix it, but have had the bike apart to put bling all over the thing, changing parts to get the next best thing, even doing things like having a stroker built or any major alterations and not know how to jet their machine or set the timing. Most problems come from the man in the seat!!

That old iron will run and run and run if you treat it right. Pay attention to it.

vanderkalin
09-18-2017, 9:29 AM
Try spraying some carb cleaner in the general direction of the intake. Might have developed an intake leak from the vibration.

vanderkalin
09-18-2017, 9:31 AM
Sorry, misread your post. Didn't realize it SAT for 10 days.