PDA

View Full Version : 883 to 1200 (not a kit)

RIRocker
09-11-2017, 5:13 PM
I have a 1200 EFI sportster engine I'd like to put into an iron 883. Will I need anything more than a power commander?

RIRocker
09-11-2017, 5:45 PM
I'll add to this. I have an 08 sportster 1200 that I'm converting to carb, I also have an 07 1200 parts bike. A friend of mine has a 2012 iron 883. If I sell him my parts bike motor it'll help fund my AMM ignition unit and mikuni hsr42. I'm just wondering if it'll be as as plug and play as I think it will be. Any input would help. Thanks.

Tattooo
09-11-2017, 5:47 PM
Can I ask what is an Iron 883????

RIRocker
09-11-2017, 5:53 PM
I want to pull a running 07 1200 efi sportster engine and put it in a 12 iron 883 frame. Yes, it will physically fit. If I plug a pcV set for a 1200, will that be enough? Wire harness is the same, frame is the same, literally just swapping engines. Anything else I need to worry about?

RIRocker
09-11-2017, 6:20 PM
It's a flat black girls bike.

Cotton1
09-12-2017, 8:20 AM
All my Sportys are carb bikes, so here is my guess. Yeah, guess so consider that.

You should be able to just unbolt/swap the jugs, pistons, heads on the two engines. The electrical I believe is plug and play, just maybe need to remap to match up which bike has which top end.

I like the looks of the Irons for a out of the box Sportster but always thought 1200 would have been better off in the Irons. Something about a carb bike to me, so I have not moved into the EFI era. CV carbs are easy and I think you can swap out the intake and add carb and maybe ICM to convert one back to carby-once again just educated guess.

Id be curious how it goes for you. Good luck

Cotton1

farmall
09-12-2017, 6:37 PM
Post your results when done so we have them for reference.

I expect the xlforum will have multiple answers to OPs question. Those folks are fucking fountain of knowledge.

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
09-13-2017, 1:56 AM
Farmall is usually a spewing fountain of knowledge... a regular fondue pot.

I cant answer all of your question but will address one area that I do know about. Perhaps this applys to you or not, but its all I can contribute.

I have some evo Sportys (1986, 92, 98 & 2001) and some early Buells and late Buells. (1998 S1 Lightning, 2001 S3, and 2004 XB, 2007 XB 2008 XB) and researching carb to EFI swaps as well as EFO to Carb there is some issues for cyl spacing.

Basically its WAY different cyl spacing for the EFI bikes than the earlier Carb bikes. If you want to install a Carb manifold you have to buy a special one made for such swaps. This also applies to EFI and Carb sporties as well. I have not installed them yet, but I have the parts and can take pictures if you like of the intakes but on the later XB Buells a lot of Sporty owners want to use those heads on their sporties as thats the best heads out there and you can buy them for a fraction of the prices for the screaming chicken HD heads. So, not so easy to just bolt on a XB Buell head onto a sporty, But, some enterprising lads HAVE taken a full XB12 (1200cc) top end, cams cyls and other parts and swapped them onto a Sportster engine. (The cams have to be retimed and theres a lot of tech on the details of this,. plus the gear teeth and oil pump).

XB Buell motors have a EFI system that goes straight up vertical,, where a tube frame buell or sportster has the Carb manifold or the EFI manifold sticking out horizontal out the side. I bought a manifold to run the late model Sportster EFI on a Buell top end.. as well as I am modifying my 2001 S3 to a Mikuni HSR carb instead of that early EFI setup.

So, in regards to cyls,, intakes, and swapping, its possible but best to get a factory parts book for each year and compare part numbers would be the first step I would take if it were me.

For anyone interested,,, see the following.

http://www.hammerperf.com/xlfuelsystems.shtml

" Versions are also available to fit either standard carburetor type heads, or the EFI heads as found on 2007-up Sportsters. EFI heads have the manifold mating surfaces milled down and the EFI head versions of these manifolds are wider to match.

These manifolds are available either with or without the provision for the MAP sensor as used on 04-06 models. "

There is a lot of topics on the XL forum but I cant get it to open the last 2 days,, but similar topic here on CC
See: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27691

RIRocker
09-13-2017, 12:53 PM
Thanks Cotton1. I'm not even going to bother swapping the jugs, piston and heads. I'm literally planning on swapping engine & trans. Soup to nuts. My real question is about the mapping. If I plug a power commander tuned for the 1200, it SHOULD just be plug and play I believe. But I could be wrong. I'll try the XL Forum if (and that's a big IF) I can remember my username and password. Haha.

RIRocker
09-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Thanks Dougtheinternetannoyance123! My question isn't really about the carb conversion though. I've got that all under control. I've got a friend in town whose already done it on his 48. (Wes from Counter Balance Cycles). I just need the coin to purchase the ignition unit and carb. I just don't want to sell this other dude a 1200 engine and find out it won't work.

farmall
09-13-2017, 6:24 PM
You could just use another email to open another account.

dirtygrotonscoundrel
09-13-2017, 7:30 PM
You should be just fine doing this, and using the 1200 map since that is what the motor is, and the motor doesn't give a damn what frame is around it.

That said, if you don't already have the PCV, I might recommend using a Vance & Hines FP3. The auto tune process is amazing, and does the best home tune I've ever seen without a dyno or shelling out double the cost for dynojet's auto tune which works with the PCV.

I hope that helps!

Cotton1
09-18-2017, 9:37 PM
I too think it should be plug and play swapping the whole go motor. I will try to help you out on XLF if I can, but am no expert myself. Many there have much wisdom..

Please let us know how it goes in due time.

Best,

Cotton1