PDA

View Full Version : cb750 Amen Savior build

750chopp
09-06-2017, 2:59 PM
Hey y'all. First post here. I just picked up a Amen Savior frame and springer front end for a 750 Honda.

I was wondering what people did as far as titling their chopper builds. What mainly confuses me is how the vin on the CB title only matches the stock frame and not the motor.

How are you supposed to prove its legal if the Amen frame has no vin and the engine's vin doesn't match? Would I just get plates and say fuck it or is there a way to get a custom built title with a new vin or something.

Hope I explained the situation well enough because beer. Thanks

Tattooo
09-06-2017, 3:07 PM
How are you supposed to prove its legal if the Amen frame has no vin and the engine's vin doesn't match? Would I just get plates and say fuck it or is there a way to get a custom built title with a new vin or something.

Get a builders title or you can just say fuck it and take your chances and loose your bike and all the money and time you had invested in it if you get stopped by a cop that knows his shit........ The choice is yours.....

750chopp
09-06-2017, 3:55 PM
Saying fuck it isn't my first choice. Just didn't know what options were out there.

skatedad
09-06-2017, 3:56 PM
I was wondering what people did as far as titling their chopper builds. What mainly confuses me is how the vin on the CB title only matches the stock frame and not the motor.

do you just mean the title goes with the frame or do you not have any documentation (title/MSO/bill of sale etc.) stating you own that motor?

RickG61
09-06-2017, 4:00 PM
Not sure how Wisconsin works, but your neighbor to the south, beside being Efd in their heads, require you to build the bike, take it and all supporting documents to the state police, where it will then be inspected by a guy who keeps saying, "Hmmmmmm" and raising one eyebrow. If everything is deemed on the up and up, paperwork is in order, nothing coming up as stolen,etc, they will then issue you a VIN for the bike, which you then title at the DMV. You'll want old titles, bills of sale, any scrap of paper that can be considered a paper trail to prove its all on the up and up. Oh, and here in Hellinois, it has to meet the requirements, whatever those may be. For instance but not necessarily true where you're at, it may need turn signals, a mirror or two, pegs for a passenger if the seat is designed to carry a second person, brakes front and rear, fenders front and rear. DOT approved tires, a bottle opener, comb and a three muskateers bar. Just seeing if you're paying attention. You don't really need a comb. This is why a lot of guys end up cutting a titled swingarm frame and hardtailing it instead of buying an aftermarket frame with an MSO. Easier to modify and ride without the need for an inspection. Of course, Wisconsin may have been drunk on Old Milwaukee and cheese curds when the laws were written and none of that is needed. Best to go online to your DMV site and see what sort of equipment is needed for that initial inspection, what paperwork is needed, etc, BEFORE you dump any more time or money in it.

750chopp
09-06-2017, 4:03 PM
The vin on the title only matches the frame. Even though the motor in the frame is original to the bike, the vin numbers don't match because it was produced before they had standardized vins.

750chopp
09-06-2017, 4:07 PM
Thanks for the detailed response. I figured it would have to be inspected at some point if I went with a builders title or hobbyist whatever the hell you want to call it. Sucks to waste time on wiring up turn signals and a front brake and whatnot but if I can get it to pass an inspection and then just rebuild it the way I want it, I may just have to do so.

Tattooo
09-06-2017, 4:56 PM
The vin on the title only matches the frame. Even though the motor in the frame is original to the bike, the vin numbers don't match because it was produced before they had standardized vins.

Ok lets back up a bit....... You have a title for a complete Honda 750 right???????? Then you bought a Amen frame and you want to transfer the motor from the titled bike to your new Amen frame and you want to know how to register it???? Am I right....

750chopp
09-06-2017, 5:12 PM
That is correct. To my knowledge the serial number stamped on the engine may be different than the one on the frame. My concern is that the title will show the vin for the frame. Not the engine that will be used in the chopper.

750chopp
09-06-2017, 5:13 PM
So then the vin on the title is not displayed anywhere on the bike. And that could be an issue

Tattooo
09-06-2017, 5:30 PM
That is correct. To my knowledge the serial number stamped on the engine may be different than the one on the frame. My concern is that the title will show the vin for the frame. Not the engine that will be used in the chopper.

Yes the title goes with the frame only and has nothing to do with the motor..... If your title doesn't match the numbers on the frame... You have a title................. and you have a frame without a title........

Yes it's an issue.......

skatedad
09-07-2017, 12:19 PM
So then the vin on the title is not displayed anywhere on the bike. And that could be an issue

here in nebraska where i'm doing a similar thing you assemble your bike, get it inspected by the county sheriff, and apply for a new VIN through the DMV. You attach that VIN plate to your aftermarket frame and then get it titled under that vin number. however for the sheriff's inspection you have to prove ownership of all major components. do you have anything to prove that?

Blackbetty
09-07-2017, 1:24 PM
get yourself some punches and a hammer....

TheHumbleWelder
09-07-2017, 2:58 PM

Haha thats what I was thinking too.

Tattooo
09-07-2017, 3:03 PM

Yes sir that will work unless......... Like I said above......

or you can just say fuck it and take your chances and loose your bike and all the money and time you had invested in it if you get stopped by a cop that knows his shit........

farmall
09-07-2017, 3:40 PM
The following post is a work of fiction and falsehood, written for entertainment purposes only.

The numbers on old CBs are on the neck. That neck is a tube wrapped in sheet metal. Everything dangling off that tube can be cut off and blended, because it's metal!

One might (protect the numbers) slice it off the stock frame then lovingly, slowly, precisely tease the remaining sheet reinforcements off the tube with a cutting disc then smooth it nicely with a 60 grit flap disc. That tube might accidentally take wing and land on the chobber frame, then be lovingly blended/moulded with weld and finished with flap discs/wheels until it looks like it was born there even if the frame is sandblasted.

Most humans are terrible with hammer and punch, and most punches aren't designed for close-in lettering and use in a punch holder, nor are they the correct font. That's why the results instantly look like ass.

A neck swap is attaching a neck you lawfully own to other metal you lawfully own. It's a gray area since you could build a frame off the neck too, and while that might be considered a rebuild if someone pressed to test, IRL it's done all the time.

Transfer the title before ya do the work. I transfer everyfucking title I get to ensure they are in the system, and I pay for a hard copy on the spot (fuck waiting for it to get lost in the mail). It saved my ass when a BSA title I have was dropped from the system. If you are tempted to skip this process because you hallucinate you'll do it "later", pay a hobo to kerbie your nutsack until your desire subsides.

outlawTA
09-12-2017, 5:42 PM
+1 farmall