PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Early pauguhco rigied frame.

Localgringo85
08-20-2017, 8:49 PM
Whats up everyone! Yeah iam new to this form...ok i need some guidance i dont have any mentors or cool biker friends that are into this stuff just a lone wolf..i have a earlybigtwin paughco frame i know a evo motor will fit and i know it has to be a solid mouted motor but my question is from what bike and what year motor can i pull from...so far every part that you see i have picked up at swap meets i dont know what really fits on this frame
Any help is much appreciated...iam still trying to figure out to post pics

Tattooo
08-20-2017, 9:23 PM
Any year BT motor should fit from 1948 Pan up no FXR, Twincam, rubbermount etc.... Now the trans could be different depending on the frame..... Try and figure how to post a pic of your frame.....

Localgringo85
08-20-2017, 10:40 PM
Thanks man for the response...iam working posting pics off my stupid ass phone..

SamHain
08-21-2017, 8:19 AM
Any year BT motor should fit from 1948 Pan up no FXR, Twincam, rubbermount etc.... Now the trans could be different depending on the frame..... Try and figure how to post a pic of your frame.....
Fxr engine will work.

Tattooo
08-21-2017, 9:01 AM
Fxr engine will work.

Did you just stop reading when you got to FXR I also said..... rubbermount? It depends on the years also......

But yes you are right... Some FXR motors will work....

SamHain
08-21-2017, 9:17 AM
Did you just stop reading when you got to FXR I also said..... rubbermount? It depends on the years also......

But yes you are right... Some FXR motors will work....

No, I didn't, but since an fxr isn't a twin cam and it is rubber mount, I didn't imagine you meant a combination of all three....
proper fxr 82-94.

Tattooo
08-21-2017, 9:48 AM
No, I didn't, but since an fxr isn't a twin cam and it is rubber mount, I didn't imagine you meant a combination of all three....
proper fxr 82-94.

LOL It could be all three you never know???? LOL

Localgringo85
08-21-2017, 2:42 PM
Shit now iam lost!!! Lol..iam still trying to figure. How to post pics of my build with my "smart phone"

Tattooo
08-21-2017, 2:45 PM
Shit now iam lost!!! Lol..iam still trying to figure. How to post pics of my build with my "smart phone"

Man I wish I could help but I still have a flip phone.... I just down load them to here on CC from my PC..... I hope someone will chime in and help you.....

Localgringo85
08-21-2017, 4:32 PM
Thats what iam gonna do in a few thanks man!

Sky
08-22-2017, 3:41 AM
How do you know an Evo will fit?
Some early PG frames were only tall enough for a stock Panhead.
If it had an Evo in it before then...
Almost any big twin motor you come across should fit in that frame.
Flat heads, Knuckles, Pans, Shovels and Evos.
Evo was the tallest. Stroked top ends can be taller.
So most any aftermarket Harley clone motors will fit as well.
Next up is figuring out if its setup for a four speed or five speed transmission.
I'd guess four from the pics. But you can make a solid mount five speed work.
And then a primary to tie them together. Definitely stay away from rubber mount primary (too short).
You can always call Paughco with the frame numbers and see what they have to say...

Tattooo
08-22-2017, 6:32 AM
Yea I would also say it's for a 4 speed........ It looks like an early frame so an EVO might not work.... You will need to call or do some measuring like Sky said...... Nice looking start by the way.....

Localgringo85
08-22-2017, 7:36 AM
Thank you guys for all this info iam learning as i go its been a long time coming for me to build a bike..its a nice change of pace for me because i work in the hot rod industry iam tried of fabbing the same old shit everyday at work..when i bought the frame the guy had a BT evo in it just not sure what motor or trans.i contacted paughco to try to get info on the frame but its was kinda a difficult to ID the frame with out numbers on the frame..so right now iam just shoping around for a wrecked bike with a running motor. any sugestions what be a good bike to pull parts off of and motor/trans?

Tattooo
08-22-2017, 8:26 AM
any sugestions what be a good bike to pull parts off of and motor/trans?

Well without numbers on the frame it's going to be tough as your going to need a title...... That's what you need to decide first.... Do you want a Harley or a builders Special Construction bike..... They are worth different amounts of money.... Once you decide you can go from there....

As far as what motor/bike to buy that all depends on the above.....

Localgringo85
08-22-2017, 8:41 AM
Its mostlikely gonna be a special constructed frame...iam cool with that..it would be cool if i did find nunbers on the frame after i strip the paint off..iam gonna grind all the welds down and tig weld the frame beacuse welds on it look bad from over the years of re welding..just want to bring it back to life

farmall
08-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Since you do hot rods I presume you are familiar with titling in your state.

Numbers won't be particularly useful. It's a frame. An Evo lived there.

If you want a drivetrain donor you could find a wrecked or tired (later is better, you want a spline shaft trans and a Denso electric starter or the option to use one) Evo Softail and rape it for the entire drivetrain and misc parts. If it has a clear title, I'd swap necks and title that way since fab is much less hassle than paperwork. Evo engines swap. Trans and primary drive are frame-specific.

Localgringo85
08-22-2017, 2:55 PM
Thanks man thats A big help i have learnd a lot in last two days for your guys is help...and CA dosnt like people to have fun out here especially the given anxiety have to go to chp to bule tag your hot they make you feel like your doing somthing worng...

Localgringo85
08-22-2017, 2:56 PM
Might just start build tread and see where it gos and you guys can tell me if iam fucknig up lol

Tattooo
08-22-2017, 3:03 PM
Might just start build tread and see where it gos and you guys can tell me if iam fucknig up lol

Please do..... And yes we will tell you for sure...... LOL

farmall
08-28-2017, 5:28 PM
How much money does he want? Price is pretty fucking relevant.

Also pull spark plugs and inspect. Post clear pics if in doubt.

You can decode the engine VIN to see what it is. Google "harley VIN decoder".

Evo engines are interchangeable. Transmission and primary are specific.

Learn to post with details! "Transmission" means fuck all, but what it CAME OUT OF is relevant to putting it into a Softail trans compatible frame. So is the starter type.

For example if it's an early trans it has the annoying as fuck taper shaft and the less-good electric starter (though not as bad as the vile garbage that came on four speeds..) However if it's cheap and complete, I'd use it.

For us to help you we need to know more.

Localgringo85
08-28-2017, 5:57 PM

Learn to post with details! "Transmission" means fuck all, but what it CAME OUT OF is relevant to putting it into a Softail trans compatible frame. So is the starter type.

For example if it's an early trans it has the annoying as fuck taper shaft and the less-good electric starter (though not as bad as the vile garbage that came on four speeds..) However if it's cheap and complete, I'd use it.

thanks man for the info that is a huge help..and guy is asking like $1,200 and with some paper work but i know that dose not mean much out here..any way to check compression? maybe roll the crank over?

Localgringo85
08-28-2017, 5:59 PM

thanks man for the info that is a huge help..and guy is asking like $1,200 and with some paper work but i know that dose not mean much out here..any way to check compression? maybe roll the crank over?

Tattooo
08-28-2017, 6:12 PM
any way to check compression? maybe roll the crank over?

Not really with the motor out.... all you can do is put your finger over the hole and turn it over but even that won't tell you much.... $1200 isn't a bad price for that motor.........

The motor looks good........ I bet it will be just fine...........

Localgringo85
08-28-2017, 6:24 PM
Not really with the motor out.... all you can do is put your finder over the hole and turn it over but even that won't tell you much.... $1200 isn't a bad price for that motor.........

The motor looks good........ I bet it will be just fine...........

you make a good piont about the compression..just always cautious when it comes to buying any motors..ok well looks ill pick it up just waiting to get the vin like the dude said on top..thank you again for the help

Tattooo
08-28-2017, 6:37 PM
you make a good piont about the compression..just always cautious when it comes to buying any motors..ok well looks ill pick it up just waiting to get the vin like the dude said on top..thank you again for the help

The motor looks really clean...........

Localgringo85
08-28-2017, 7:59 PM
Its been a long time comin to put a motor in this frame cant wait to start moking shit and probly fuckibg shit up lol!

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
08-28-2017, 8:02 PM
most of your tech is covered but I agree with Farmall and just gave the same advice a few days back on another thread,, but I have a theory on buying a non-running power train (Trans or motor or both). Expect to have to rebuild it. If you dont, then bonus. but pay accordingly. I prefer to in your case find a wrecked or lost interest RUBBIE scoot like a softtail (Cheapest big twins as donors) that is a known runner. Especially if the owner has records of prev work and service, and tons of Live to die bling. Dont tell them you are parting it out for a chopper (will make many cry) but then you at least start with a known entity. Sell off that other stuff to support the build. (There still is a market for conchos, fringe and chrome)

Tread carefully around tons of hop up and speed/perf parts as you dont really need it, and the work might be suspect as well as many cases they run like crap unless some really talented wrench did the work. (They ALL are gods gift to HD, just ask, they will tell you)

The motor and trans you posted *MIGHT* be a great deal, but like I said, assume its shit and pay accordingly. But you have the basis for a very nice scoot, I like the lines and style you got there, so hope it goes well.

Tattooo
08-28-2017, 8:38 PM
Its been a long time comin to put a motor in this frame cant wait to start moking shit and probly fuckibg shit up lol!

You will be just fine and your plan sounds like a good one........ You don't need a complete bike.....

Localgringo85
08-28-2017, 8:38 PM
most of your tech is covered but I agree with Farmall and just gave the same advice a few days back on another thread,, but I have a theory on buying a non-running power train (Trans or motor or both). Expect to have to rebuild it. If you dont, then bonus. but pay accordingly. I prefer to in your case find a wrecked or lost interest RUBBIE scoot like a softtail (Cheapest big twins as donors) that is a known runner. Especially if the owner has records of prev work and service, and tons of Live to die bling. Dont tell them you are parting it out for a chopper (will make many cry) but then you at least start with a known entity. Sell off that other stuff to support the build. (There still is a market for conchos, fringe and chrome)

Tread carefully around tons of hop up and speed/perf parts as you dont really need it, and the work might be suspect as well as many cases they run like crap unless some really talented wrench did the work. (They ALL are gods gift to HD, just ask, they will tell you)

The motor and trans you posted *MIGHT* be a great deal, but like I said, assume its shit and pay accordingly. But you have the basis for a very nice scoot, I like the lines and style you got there, so hope it goes well.

Thanks doug for the tip way cool of all you guys out there willing to help people out with all these qustions and there builds it inspires me to want to get this chopper done that much faster..iam haveing way more fun putting this bike togther then building the same old car over and over...

08-28-2017, 9:19 PM
Cool, Yep, Same place & attitude many years ago. I have been into bikes since a kid, but for the longest time was more a car guy. One of my friends in the military got me into vintage Brit bikes but after a while I did more and more bike stuff, still have old car projects too...
(Way too many, I need to downsize,,,, need a rat rod project?) But when I was running my shop you could literally see my farms corn growing in the background during some of the car builds in the pix. Bikes take up less space and you can have 3-4 bike projects at once in the space one vintage car takes up.
At my old shop I had 5 bike benches running something at all times. After a long break from wrenching I am back at it and enjoying it, But focusing in on what I really want to work on rather than what was paying my bills. After multiple near death experiences and lucky to be walking & talking my total outlook has changed. Quality OF time, not about the money or anything else anymore. Quality!
So my message to you is good for you. Get it done and enjoy it, to me the build is just as fun as riding. Tomorrow may never come,

Localgringo85
08-29-2017, 7:26 PM
Anyone know how to decode the case number on a evo motor i looked the number and nothing comes up?

Tattooo
08-29-2017, 7:42 PM
Anyone know how to decode the case number on a evo motor i looked the number and nothing comes up?

What are they??? It all depends.........

Localgringo85
08-29-2017, 8:15 PM
Thought there would be more nunbers on the caseing

08-29-2017, 10:53 PM
Anything modern SHOULD be a 17 digit vin number. Anything made after 1980 or 81 depending on sources. I am not sure how HD did theirs into that system but my understanding was it was federally mandated.

I have all the codes for Sporties and Buells but no longer own a big twin so, never kept that info around. (I have a book and theres a chapter for decoding early VIN numbers on HD,, It was in the Jammer chopper guide)

But sounds like someone has their own numbers stamped or an assigned vin, but I am doubting it. Sounds hokey to me. Nothing scarier than suspect numbers on a HD. I know people who wont allow any cases or frames like that on their property. (in the old days cops would use that as a pretext for searches and arrests)

S&S, Delkron and others have their own way of stamping VIN numbers for replacement cases. I also have some NOS Brit bike engine cases and 2 frames that were dealer stock and no numbers stamped. But on vintage bikes most DMVs dont know how to deal with vintage VIN and model numbers. I have some 1950s British bikes with 3 digits in the VIN number and this freaks out DMV staff and you have to educate them and tell them to add 14 zeros.

Got a pic??? I hope you have not paid any money on them or already purchased.

Localgringo85
08-29-2017, 11:58 PM
Anything modern SHOULD be a 17 digit vin number. Anything made after 1980 or 81 depending on sources. I am not sure how HD did theirs into that system but my understanding was it was federally mandated.

I have all the codes for Sporties and Buells but no longer own a big twin so, never kept that info around. (I have a book and theres a chapter for decoding early VIN numbers on HD,, It was in the Jammer chopper guide)

But sounds like someone has their own numbers stamped or an assigned vin, but I am doubting it. Sounds hokey to me. Nothing scarier than suspect numbers on a HD. I know people who wont allow any cases or frames like that on their property. (in the old days cops would use that as a pretext for searches and arrests)

S&S, Delkron and others have their own way of stamping VIN numbers for replacement cases. I also have some NOS Brit bike engine cases and 2 frames that were dealer stock and no numbers stamped. But on vintage bikes most DMVs dont know how to deal with vintage VIN and model numbers. I have some 1950s British bikes with 3 digits in the VIN number and this freaks out DMV staff and you have to educate them and tell them to add 14 zeros.

Got a pic??? I hope you have not paid any money on them or already purchased.

Thanks man for the welth of knowledge i dont know much about HD vin nunbers on the cases but just didnt sound right i looked it up all over the intro web didnt find shit..ive delt with stuff like this in the pass building old chevys and vdub motors its kibda a res flag for me until then i will hang on to my $$$..

08-30-2017, 1:16 AM
Again, I am still unclear on what the numbers are on your engine you were looking at, But there is no shortage of cases and engines on ebay you can look at and see what they are supposed to look like. I could post a pix or 2 of some sporty and Buell numbers but thats not big twin,, But should be similar appearance.
Old numbers for 1970s and earlier had a particular font and a star on either end. Plus they ran belly numbers on the bottom of the cases.
But modern numbers for HD are a weird little laser etched tiny dots, Very distinct (For good reason) And after a certain point, frame and engine numbers were the same for a stock bike. Depends on the state but, some states use the frame numbers for title,, but I have had it go both ways in my state. (Engine OR Frame) But truth is, MOST DMV people are not car & MC people and only know what some book says or they heard in training.

Many years ago, When I had a shop I had a LOT of bike basket cases and many came without titles. I spent a lot of time trying to sort things out and title everything we thought we might rebuild & sell. I found out that if you are a business and over a certain amount of vehicles you can request the DMV send out a rep to do inspections on site. What a joke! The idiot who came was basically told ALL Harleys are stolen and acted like we were going to Knife him. He also pronounced 90% of our vehicles as altered VINS. (Vintage British) Since he clearly would not believe ANYTHING I said.. I had some reference books handy. I had highlighted some passages and early stuff like what I had was hand stamped at the factory. The books said for my models that ANYTHING with tidy and neat numbers were a forgery.
I thought his head would explode.

I no longer have any vintage HD (Lots of British though) but I have multiple Sportys and Buells. All have 17 digit numbers. Lots of websites have the decoding for big twins.
For example this one is as good as any...
See: http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/general-harley-talk/119584-how-read-your-vin-number.html

How to read your VIN number
In case anyone was wondering...(thanks Roadking)

Harley Davidson VIN Decoding:

First Digit:
Market Designation
1 = Domestic
5 = International

Second & Third Digit:
HD = Manufacturer and Make
Harley Davidson

Fourth Digit:
Motorcycle Type
1 = Heavyweight
2 = Middleweight
(901 cc and larger engine displacement)

Fifth & Sixth Digit:
Model Designation
BH = FXST – Softail Standard
BJ = FLSTC – Heritage Softail Classic
BK = FXSTC – Softail Custom
BL = FXSTS – Softail Springer
BM = FLSTF – Softail Fatboy
BN = FLSTN – Softail Deluxe
BP = FXSTSB
BR = FLSTS – Heritage Softail Springer
BS = FXSTD – Softail Deuce
BT = FXSTB – Softail Nighttrain
BV = FXSTI – Softail Standard (fuel injected)
BW = FLSTCI – Heritage Softail Classic (fuel injected)
BX = FLSTFI – Softail Fatboy (fuel injected)
BY = FLSTSCI
BZ = FXSTSI – Softail Springer (fuel injected)
CA = XL883
CJ = XL883 Custom
CG = XL1200 Custom
CL = XL1200 Roadster
CM = XL883L
DA = FLT 82-83
DA = FLHTP Police Windshield
DB = FLTC
DD = FLHT – Electra Glide
DH = FLTC w/ Sidecar
DJ = FLHTC
DK = FLTC Shrine
DM = FLTCU
DP = FLHTCU
EA = FXR
EB = FXRS
EC = FXRT
ED = FXRP Police Windshield
EF = FXRP Police Fairing
EG = FXRS-SP
EH = FXRD
EJ = FXRC
FB = FLHR-I – Road King (fuel injected)
FC = FLHTCU-I – Ultra Classic Electra Glide (fuel injected)
FD = FLHR – Road King
FE = FLTCU-I
FF = FLHTC-I – Electra Glide (fuel injected)
FG = FLHTCU-I – Ultra Classic Electra Glide w/ Sidecar (fuel injected)
FH = FLHP-I Police
FJ = FLHP Police
FK = FLHTC-I Shrine
FL = FLHTCU-I Shrine
FM = FLHTP-I Police
FN = FLHPE (Japan)
FP = FLTR – Road Glide
FR = FLHRC-I – Road King Classic (fuel injected)
FS = FLTR-I – Road Glide (fuel injected)
FT = FLHPE-I
FV = FLHT-I
FW = FLHR-I Shrine
FX = FLHRS – Road King Custom
FY = FLHRS-I – Road King Custom (fuel injected)
GD = FXDL – Dyna Lowrider
GE = FXDWG – Dyna Wide Glide
GG = FXDS Convertible
GH = FXD - Dyna
GJ = FXDX – Super Glide
HA = VRSCA – V-Rod
JA = FXSTB-I – Softail Nighttrain (fuel injected)
JB = FXSTD-I – Softail Deuce (fuel injected)
JD = FLSTN-I – Softail Deluxe (fuel injected)
SG = TLE Police
SH = RLE Police

Seventh Digit:
Engine Type
A = VRSCA 98 HP HDI only V = Carbureted
W = Fuel Injected

Z = VRSCA Eighth Digit:
Introduction Date & Special Models
1 = Regular Intro Date
2 = Mid-year Intro Date
3 = California Model
4 = Anniversary Model

Ninth Digit:
VIN Check Digit
Varies; can be 0 through 9, or X.

Tenth Digit:
Model Year
L = 1990
M = 1991
N = 1992
P = 1993
R = 1994
S = 1995
T = 1996
V = 1997
X = 1998
Y = 1999
Z = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
3 = 2003
4 = 2004
5 = 2005
6 = 2006
7 = 2007

Eleventh Digit:
Assembly Plant
Y = York, PA
K = Kansas City, MO

Twelfth Digit - Seventeenth Digit:
Serial Number
------------------------------------------------------------------

Crankcase Identification Numbers

Numbers located on both left and right crankcase halves.

Big Twin: Left Case - Outside, Lower Front
Right Case - Inside, Gear case Compartment

XL Models: Left Case - Inside, Primary Compartment
Right Case - Outside, Near Oil Pump

Stamped at Capitol Drive Facility
Used to identify engine and track production changes

Example: 1588 321 007

15 = Engine Designation
1 = 1200cc Shovelhead
7 = 1000cc Iron XL
14 = 1340cc Shovelhead
15 = 1340cc Evolution
16 = XR-1000
17 = 883cc Evolution XL
18 = 1100cc Evolution XL
19 = 1200cc Evolution XL
20 = 1340cc Evolution, California (1988 - *)
21 = 883cc Evolution XL, California (1988 - *)
22 = 1200cc Evolution XL, California (1988 - *)

88 = Model Year

321 = Day of Production
001 = Jan. 1st 182 = Jul. 1st
032 = Feb. 1st 213 = Aug. 1st
060 = Mar. 1st 244 = Sep. 1st
091 = Apr. 1st 274 = Oct. 1st
121 = May 1st 305 = Nov. 1st
152 = Jun. 1st 335 = Dec. 1st

007 = Number That Day

This should only be used as a guide only. Even Harley-Davidson admit there are some discrepancies in their vin numbers.

As per this site

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/harley_vin.htm

Localgringo85
08-30-2017, 7:13 AM
Again, I am still unclear on what the numbers are on your engine you were looking at, But there is no shortage of cases and engines on ebay you can look at and see what they are supposed to look like. I could post a pix or 2 of some sporty and Buell numbers but thats not big twin,, But should be similar appearance.
Old numbers for 1970s and earlier had a particular font and a star on either end. Plus they ran belly numbers on the bottom of the cases.
But modern numbers for HD are a weird little laser etched tiny dots, Very distinct (For good reason) And after a certain point, frame and engine numbers were the same for a stock bike. Depends on the state but, some states use the frame numbers for title,, but I have had it go both ways in my state. (Engine OR Frame) But truth is, MOST DMV people are not car & MC people and only know what some book says or they heard in training.

Many years ago, When I had a shop I had a LOT of bike basket cases and many came without titles. I spent a lot of time trying to sort things out and title everything we thought we might rebuild & sell. I found out that if you are a business and over a certain amount of vehicles you can request the DMV send out a rep to do inspections on site. What a joke! The idiot who came was basically told ALL Harleys are stolen and acted like we were going to Knife him. He also pronounced 90% of our vehicles as altered VINS. (Vintage British) Since he clearly would not believe ANYTHING I said.. I had some reference books handy. I had highlighted some passages and early stuff like what I had was hand stamped at the factory. The books said for my models that ANYTHING with tidy and neat numbers were a forgery.
I thought his head would explode.

I no longer have any vintage HD (Lots of British though) but I have multiple Sportys and Buells. All have 17 digit numbers. Lots of websites have the decoding for big twins.
For example this one is as good as any...
See: http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/general-harley-talk/119584-how-read-your-vin-number.html

How to read your VIN number
In case anyone was wondering...(thanks Roadking)

Harley Davidson VIN Decoding:

First Digit:
Market Designation
1 = Domestic
5 = International

Second & Third Digit:
HD = Manufacturer and Make
Harley Davidson

Fourth Digit:
Motorcycle Type
1 = Heavyweight
2 = Middleweight
(901 cc and larger engine displacement)

Fifth & Sixth Digit:
Model Designation
BH = FXST – Softail Standard
BJ = FLSTC – Heritage Softail Classic
BK = FXSTC – Softail Custom
BL = FXSTS – Softail Springer
BM = FLSTF – Softail Fatboy
BN = FLSTN – Softail Deluxe
BP = FXSTSB
BR = FLSTS – Heritage Softail Springer
BS = FXSTD – Softail Deuce
BT = FXSTB – Softail Nighttrain
BV = FXSTI – Softail Standard (fuel injected)
BW = FLSTCI – Heritage Softail Classic (fuel injected)
BX = FLSTFI – Softail Fatboy (fuel injected)
BY = FLSTSCI
BZ = FXSTSI – Softail Springer (fuel injected)
CA = XL883
CJ = XL883 Custom
CG = XL1200 Custom
CL = XL1200 Roadster
CM = XL883L
DA = FLT 82-83
DA = FLHTP Police Windshield
DB = FLTC
DD = FLHT – Electra Glide
DH = FLTC w/ Sidecar
DJ = FLHTC
DK = FLTC Shrine
DM = FLTCU
DP = FLHTCU
EA = FXR
EB = FXRS
EC = FXRT
ED = FXRP Police Windshield
EF = FXRP Police Fairing
EG = FXRS-SP
EH = FXRD
EJ = FXRC
FB = FLHR-I – Road King (fuel injected)
FC = FLHTCU-I – Ultra Classic Electra Glide (fuel injected)
FD = FLHR – Road King
FE = FLTCU-I
FF = FLHTC-I – Electra Glide (fuel injected)
FG = FLHTCU-I – Ultra Classic Electra Glide w/ Sidecar (fuel injected)
FH = FLHP-I Police
FJ = FLHP Police
FK = FLHTC-I Shrine
FL = FLHTCU-I Shrine
FM = FLHTP-I Police
FN = FLHPE (Japan)
FP = FLTR – Road Glide
FR = FLHRC-I – Road King Classic (fuel injected)
FS = FLTR-I – Road Glide (fuel injected)
FT = FLHPE-I
FV = FLHT-I
FW = FLHR-I Shrine
FX = FLHRS – Road King Custom
FY = FLHRS-I – Road King Custom (fuel injected)
GD = FXDL – Dyna Lowrider
GE = FXDWG – Dyna Wide Glide
GG = FXDS Convertible
GH = FXD - Dyna
GJ = FXDX – Super Glide
HA = VRSCA – V-Rod
JA = FXSTB-I – Softail Nighttrain (fuel injected)
JB = FXSTD-I – Softail Deuce (fuel injected)
JD = FLSTN-I – Softail Deluxe (fuel injected)
SG = TLE Police
SH = RLE Police

Seventh Digit:
Engine Type
A = VRSCA 98 HP HDI only V = Carbureted
W = Fuel Injected

Z = VRSCA Eighth Digit:
Introduction Date & Special Models
1 = Regular Intro Date
2 = Mid-year Intro Date
3 = California Model
4 = Anniversary Model

Ninth Digit:
VIN Check Digit
Varies; can be 0 through 9, or X.

Tenth Digit:
Model Year
L = 1990
M = 1991
N = 1992
P = 1993
R = 1994
S = 1995
T = 1996
V = 1997
X = 1998
Y = 1999
Z = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
3 = 2003
4 = 2004
5 = 2005
6 = 2006
7 = 2007

Eleventh Digit:
Assembly Plant
Y = York, PA
K = Kansas City, MO

Twelfth Digit - Seventeenth Digit:
Serial Number
------------------------------------------------------------------

Crankcase Identification Numbers

Numbers located on both left and right crankcase halves.

Big Twin: Left Case - Outside, Lower Front
Right Case - Inside, Gear case Compartment

XL Models: Left Case - Inside, Primary Compartment
Right Case - Outside, Near Oil Pump

Stamped at Capitol Drive Facility
Used to identify engine and track production changes

Example: 1588 321 007

15 = Engine Designation
1 = 1200cc Shovelhead
7 = 1000cc Iron XL
14 = 1340cc Shovelhead
15 = 1340cc Evolution
16 = XR-1000
17 = 883cc Evolution XL
18 = 1100cc Evolution XL
19 = 1200cc Evolution XL
20 = 1340cc Evolution, California (1988 - *)
21 = 883cc Evolution XL, California (1988 - *)
22 = 1200cc Evolution XL, California (1988 - *)

88 = Model Year

321 = Day of Production
001 = Jan. 1st 182 = Jul. 1st
032 = Feb. 1st 213 = Aug. 1st
060 = Mar. 1st 244 = Sep. 1st
091 = Apr. 1st 274 = Oct. 1st
121 = May 1st 305 = Nov. 1st
152 = Jun. 1st 335 = Dec. 1st

007 = Number That Day

This should only be used as a guide only. Even Harley-Davidson admit there are some discrepancies in their vin numbers.

As per this site

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/harley_vin.htm
Veary useful info man thank you!!! I have much more of a better understanding now..the vin i posted was the number the guy text me thats it..if ananyone out there has a big a bigtwin evo for sale for this build let me know iam on the hunt..

Localgringo85
09-02-2017, 7:43 PM
Whats up guys...iam trying to do this right.. i want to make sure i dont make the mistake of buying the worng doner for my build and put all my hard ernd chips in at once...i know a evo will but out what model should i be looking at i know the transmission has to be separate from the back of the motor not bolted to the back...iam finding lots of flh models but looks like the motor and trans are married any help?

Tattooo
09-02-2017, 8:21 PM
Whats up guys...iam trying to do this right.. i want to make sure i dont make the mistake of buying the worng doner for my build and put all my hard ernd chips in at once...i know a evo will but out what model should i be looking at i know the transmission has to be separate from the back of the motor not bolted to the back...iam finding lots of flh models but looks like the motor and trans are married any help?

What years are you looking at???

Localgringo85
09-02-2017, 8:50 PM
Ive been finding 1995-2013 fl modles on a salvge harley website

Tattooo
09-02-2017, 9:17 PM
Ive been finding 1995-2013 fl modles on a salvge harley website

You need to do some research and learn what motors are what........ Evos stopped at what year and what years are twin cams??? Your not going to learn anything by us telling you everything...... I will tell you one thing.... NO Evos were made in the 2000s.......

Localgringo85
09-02-2017, 9:47 PM
I know i need to find a evo from 84-2000 but but what would be the best model to rip from for a good a powerplant including trans..ive been doing my home work but maybe i need to dig deeper thanks man for the reply..

Tattooo
09-02-2017, 9:58 PM
I know i need to find a evo from 84-2000 but but what would be the best model to rip from for a good a powerplant including trans..ive been doing my home work but maybe i need to dig deeper thanks man for the reply..

Ok you have been digging.... If it was me look for any 90s motors but they are all good if they were taken care of.... If Jesse, Dragstews was to check in he would know way more than I do.....

Localgringo85
09-02-2017, 10:46 PM
Thats a big help thank you man...once i get this squred away i can start on all the fab work...

bobscogin
09-03-2017, 8:53 AM
Ok you have been digging.... If it was me look for any 90s motors but they are all good if they were taken care of.... If Jesse, Dragstews was to check in he would know way more than I do.....

Anyone shopping for an Evo would serve himself well by studying this: http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/evolution-engine/121849-evo-case-issues-what-look.html

Bob

Localgringo85
09-03-2017, 9:19 AM
Anyone shopping for an Evo would serve himself well by studying this: http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/evolution-engine/121849-evo-case-issues-what-look.html

Bob
Thanks for that link bob really useful info..iam deffentilly will be looking closer at these cases before pusrching.
I have welding many crack blocks before and its not fun welding on cast aluminum its bitch! Iam still trying figure out what model HD BT to rip from that will be compatible with my frame..

Tattooo
09-03-2017, 10:27 AM

Bob

Yep there you go that will be a lot of help.... Also they all Shovels and Evos will crack around the primary ring if they aren't installed properly.... that's very common..... Most of the cracks I seen on that web site is caused by the motor not being shimmed right when they were installed..... It's not the motors fault....

Localgringo85
09-03-2017, 2:12 PM
Not cool to half ass shit like that on motors when cones down to tolerances...correct me if iam worng but the mounting points on a solid mounted motor, would that be most cause for stress cracking aroubd that area?

Tattooo
09-03-2017, 3:45 PM
Not cool to half ass shit like that on motors when cones down to tolerances...correct me if iam worng but the mounting points on a solid mounted motor, would that be most cause for stress cracking aroubd that area?

Loose bolts or it's not sitting flat on the mounts and when you tighten down the motor it twist the cases to mate to the frame........

farmall
09-04-2017, 10:49 AM
I know i need to find a evo from 84-2000 but but what would be the best model to rip from for a good a powerplant including trans

Late Softail.

Alternate option, Evo BT of your choice and late Softail primary/trans/Denso starter.

Post some of your welds. Everybody loves weld porn.

You might get some casting repair jobs that way. If you want to do iron cylinder fins the Crown Alloys MIG wire works very well and you can of course TIG with it. I'm a TIG noob so I picked up some scrap golf cart iron cylinders for practice and possibly future fin donors. VW Beetle jugs would do nicely too.

Localgringo85
09-04-2017, 8:40 PM
I have been looking at 95-99 softails for a doner iam guessing this is the way to go and thanks for the tip dude..ill give you some advise if you just started to heli arc when it comes to welding on anything cast pre heat the fuck out of it and make sure its clean clean clean!!!

farmall
09-05-2017, 2:56 PM
That would be a good range to use. Might as well be picky and build a machine you'll want to keep for life.

Softy VINs are on the neck casting so if you get one with a title you could swap necks and mould the contours with weld instead of body filler (after protecting the VIN of course). Being a welder opens many tasty options.

Make a build thread so we can enjoy da progress.

Localgringo85
09-05-2017, 5:43 PM
That would be a good range to use. Might as well be picky and build a machine you'll want to keep for life.

Softy VINs are on the neck casting so if you get one with a title you could swap necks and mould the contours with weld instead of body filler (after protecting the VIN of course). Being a welder opens many tasty options.

Make a build thread so we can enjoy da progress.
Thank you for the useful info man i will most likely go down that route soon i can find me thr right doner...and yes i will start a build build thead soon as i have my power plant!!

Tattooo
09-05-2017, 6:18 PM
Thank you for the useful info man i will most likely go down that route soon i can find me thr right doner...and yes i will start a build build thead soon as i have my power plant!!

Are you dead set on an EVO???? Shovels are great motors and look better to boot............

Dragstews
09-05-2017, 10:10 PM
If Jesse, Dragstews was to check in he would know way more than I do.....

Well.... I don't know about all dat.....

But I can say a few words about the Evo and Twin Cams...
The later Evo's might be a good choice with a few up-grades done to em to get away of some of the factory short-cuts...
The first Twin Cam came out in 99.... Up till around 03 they was heavy built... The later models was again seeing Harley's short cuts to save production costs....

Localgringo85
09-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Are you dead set on an EVO???? Shovels are great motors and look better to boot............
I wasnt set on a evo but when i find a shovle dudes want a lot for them out wich i understand..i have been finding salvge 90-200 FLH models for cheap but not sure if that model is going to work because it looks like the transmission is bolted behind the motor and there is not seat post? But looking at the FLS model the trans looks separated from the motor? And seems like that model would would work for my project..

Localgringo85
09-13-2017, 2:33 PM
Can anyone help with this qestion?
I just realized my frame has no numbers on it? Did paughco have numbers on there frames in the early 70s...?

Tattooo
09-13-2017, 3:15 PM
I just realized my frame has no numbers on it? Did paughco have numbers on there frames in the early 70s...?

Yes sir back in the day they made frames with no numbers............

Localgringo85
09-13-2017, 4:11 PM
Yes sir back in the day they made frames with no numbers............

Thanks for clearing that up for me man chp told i need to get info from paughco before i get a number for it

Localgringo85
09-13-2017, 4:18 PM
You know where els there could be numbers on the frame beside the neck?

Tattooo
09-13-2017, 5:30 PM
You know where els there could be numbers on the frame beside the neck?

The lower motor mount in the front.....

Tattooo
09-13-2017, 5:32 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me man chp told i need to get info from paughco before i get a number for it

Contact the company to find out when they started putting numbers on there frames....

Localgringo85
09-13-2017, 6:27 PM
Contact the company to find out when they started putting numbers on there frames....
Yup i called them they didnt give me any usefull info

Tattooo
09-13-2017, 6:37 PM
Yup i called them they didnt give me any usefull info

Yea I kinda figured that would happen.....

Localgringo85
09-13-2017, 7:36 PM
Thanks man for your info...

spsgold
09-14-2017, 9:36 PM
What part of Cal are you in? You close to Fresno??