PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of evolution Wide Glides?

kayakguy
08-15-2017, 5:10 PM
I worry about the handling but being honest have never ridden one.

I have a guy interested in trading me for one. It's a nice looking bike, but I just don't know.

Tattooo
08-15-2017, 5:29 PM
My 2 cents..... And not being a smart ass just being honest..... Riding a bike is riding a bike...... If you don't know how, you need to learn..... the more you know how to ride different style bikes the better/safer rider you are.....

47str8leg
08-15-2017, 5:35 PM
Well WHAT are you trading ? Another bike ? Have you ridden before but just haven't ridden an evo wideglide ? Is it stock , customized ? What year wideglide ? Definitely sparse on the details here.

kayakguy
08-15-2017, 5:42 PM
Well I response to that I would say I can and have ridden about everything on road and off road and in places that would make many piss themselves. But a shit handling bike is a shit handling bike. I can accept limitations on a bike I built to screw around on and I know what I built. Not saying a wide glide is that bike.

So let me clarify. I don't know how I feel about that front end on a bike that isn't a chopper. It just seems kind of off for what it is. I think if I am going to have rear suspension on a bike like that I would prefer to have a Super Glide or Low Rider or something along those lines. Maybe it is just the thought of it being a "factory custom" that bugs me. But I am probably over thinking it.

But not having ridden one I thought I would fish for opinions by those that have.

farmall
08-15-2017, 7:25 PM
OP didn't mention the YEAR.

That's more than slightly relevant.

Wide Glides came from dressers, and what you see on an Evo Wide Glide is basically a typical 1970s/80s setup many people preferred for practicality.

A motorcycle is an answer to the question of what you want that motorcycle to do for you.

Want handling? Buy an FXR or a late Evo Sporty.

Tattooo
08-15-2017, 7:32 PM
Well I response to that I would say I can and have ridden about everything on road and off road and in places that would make many piss themselves.

If your the rider you say you are why the question in the first place???? It's a bike ride it....

kayakguy
08-15-2017, 8:09 PM
If your the rider you say you are why the question in the first place???? It's a bike ride it....
I am no Evel Knievel but I can hold my own. As such I understand different bikes handle differently. For instance I live in the mountains and the worst bike I have owned was a heritage Softail. It was a a nice ride but I had to pay attention to my body position constantly to keep from scraping the floor boards on all of the sharp curves here.

Just asking for a little honest feedback for folks who have ridden them. I ain't rich and a trade like this is serious business for me.

It's a '94 to answer an above question.

Tattooo
08-15-2017, 9:39 PM
Just asking for a little honest feedback for folks who have ridden them.

Ok I think I understand where your coming from.... I've ridden Harley's since the mid 1970s.... I've ridden all kinds and I have ridden that type bike..... I don't like them.... I don't like Softtail bikes and a wide glide makes it even worst.... But that's my opinion you might like it.....

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
08-16-2017, 1:18 PM
I am no expert on big twins, but IMHO these are a mixed bad depending on what your goals are. If you want to ride it as is, or some minor updates like more fringe, conchos and live to ride bling, they are not that great unless a lifestyle biker. Theres better models that do anything better, handling and performance, or haul loads of luggage, heat your coffee and cruise the interstate (Lazyboys on wheels).

But if you are looking for a affordable donor bike for customizing and chopper nirvana.. Then these are a awesome opportunity. (IMHO). First of all they tend to be cheap and hard to sell, so buyers market rules. Plus, MOST people who bought these were a bit ignorant about bikes and bought for image with no real concept of performance or function. (Probably piss off a lot of RUBBIES, but it is what it is) But 2 options is, buy a hard tail kit and chop the hell out of it (And keep the stock VIN #s) or, you can buy a nice aftermarket frame with MSO, and swap the title over to it. (There is legal ways to do this) and then its just a question of what style, performance and function you want. Hardtailed bobber street terror, or swedish style long bike for maximum attention and bragging rights or something in between.
Sell off the take off parts to help fund the build and in the end, you have a dream bike (or nightmare) for an affordable price and you started out with a runner with relatively known history.
I dont see many affordable choppers out there already built. Either the seller or the circumstances are suspect, or in most cases they want very high prices.
I am not adverse about buying a half done project or a custom that has some issues but you really take a risk doing so. Assume everything is F**Ked and pay accordingly, and if it isnt its a bonus.
Same with well above retail customs. From both sides of the equation, its difficult to build a custom that has universal appeal. color alone is highly subjective. You also dont know for sure in most cases what kind of skills and work were done, and most are trying to get either what they invested (Which is usually too much) OR they watched a lot of TV shows and thought they are the next Indian Jesse Bourget Billy West coast Orange county chopper show.

I personally like to see a build it yourself,, and this bike COULD be a good option for that.

farmall
08-17-2017, 5:53 AM
They don't handle by modern standards. No production Harley does. Only people who ride nothing else contend otherwise, like bagger riders bragging about their handling....

Since you live in the mountains all Harleys will be shit compared to an agile Jap sport or dual purpose bike. Harleys are cruisers, their ground clearance is terrible on the good ones, and stock brakes on a 1994 suck. That Wide Glide will likely be single front disc which sucks more.

For instance I live in the mountains and the worst bike I have owned was a heritage Softail. It was a a nice ride but I had to pay attention to my body position constantly to keep from scraping the floor boards on all of the sharp curves here.

Harleys aren't really hardcore mountain bikes except Sportsters, which are fun but their awful rear suspension is incurable due to frame geometry and again, they aren't performance motorcycles by modern standards unless you bring a lot of money. Fun cruisers though. FXRs work well but you can still ground them easily.

Just a reality check. It's not a good potential chopper (unless it's stupid cheap and you want to sink time and money into it, but chops are ART projects, not performance projects), and it's not a high performance motorcycle. It's fine for non-mountain road cruising as intended.

If you can swap for it then flip it for cash and win, that's fine.

Never marry what you can pimp.

DevonDel
08-18-2017, 4:44 PM
I own a '95 FXDWG and love it. I come from an eclectic mix of bikes my last being a Ducati 996S and Triumph Speed Triple.

Its fast and torquey enough to be fun but handles and brakes that most corners are a mixture of terror and delight for getting through it alive.

My Ducati only felt fast at 120mph plus my wide glide feels fast at 80mph. With the UK's new speeding fines this is a bonus.

I've been chopping mine over the last year and its starting to get there, granted it's not a hard tail lane splitter but is usable and looks old school enough.

farmall
08-18-2017, 5:01 PM
You can always fit dual disk brakes with decent calipers for reasonable money, or use a Jap sport bike caliper with your existing rotor.