PDA

View Full Version : Breaking kicker covers

DPipke
08-12-2017, 8:03 PM
I've broken two kicker covers within a week. The first one broke when I was getting lots of Kickback from advanced timing. After retarding the timing I installed a new cover. This bike has a super b carb and sometimes takes several kicks to get it started when cold. But how would kicking it over break the cover? I'm missing somthing here.... I know the bearing for the kicker is in the cover and takes the weight.of the kick but shouldnot these things last???? Any help on how to troubleshoot this would be great. I've assembled the kicker gears and kicker according to spec so I don't really know what else to look for....

47str8leg
08-12-2017, 8:18 PM
The bearing is not for taking the weight of the kicking , it is for the clutch and shifting . The kick gear has a pin on it that stops against the inner wall of your transmission. I suspect that your timing is still too far advanced and that when it kicks back that pin is ramming into the wall and the torque on the kick shaft is so great that it is cocking the shaft against the front of your cover , cracking it. The new kicker cover will come with generic oil lite bushings . I believe in getting the bushings custom machined to the kick shaft you are using to limit play.
I also like one piece kick arms for the same reason that they eliminate play.
If I had s two piece arm I would consider tack welding it to the shaft.

farmall
08-12-2017, 11:59 PM
Not all covers are created equal. How about some pics of the latest broken cover so we can see where the crack started? Pics of the inside, outside and crack edge would be useful.

Blackbetty
08-15-2017, 8:21 AM
Are you using the 5th mount?

Revelator
08-15-2017, 9:05 AM
Are you using the 5th mount?

How important is that 5th mount? lots of choppers out there using
just the 4 main mounts.

Tattooo
08-15-2017, 12:33 PM
How important is that 5th mount? lots of choppers out there using
just the 4 main mounts.

Very important.... If it has a kicker....

47str8leg
08-15-2017, 5:31 PM
Very important.... If it has a kicker....
WOW, never even considered the 5th mount as OPTIONAL . That certainly is news to me.

Tattooo
08-15-2017, 5:34 PM
WOW, never even considered the 5th mount as OPTIONAL . That certainly is news to me.

Neither did I.... I didn't know they even made frames without it???

armand
08-16-2017, 5:33 AM
What are you guys referring to by the fifth mount?

Tattooo
08-16-2017, 5:38 AM
What are you guys referring to by the fifth mount?

The one right under the kicker cover but on the main part of the trans case....

Blackbetty
08-16-2017, 9:50 AM
It's the pad on the right frame rail just in front of the rear crossmember:

http://i.imgur.com/6aYNCdl.jpg

Bolt threads into the case just to the left of the drain plug:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KWs2ZFJcpK8/VKN4OCVq3RI/AAAAAAAAFGw/0OG9JbQN7mc/s1600/20141215_202318.jpg

If the 5th mount isn't being used you're going to stress the shit out of the kicker cover during kickstarts. I doubt the cover cracked from kickbacks, as that energy is being transferred to the starter gear stop bump plate just inside the case.

If 5th mount is being utilized and covers are cracking, I suggest checking the transmission to ensure it's sitting level in the frame. Most will need shimming - I had to shim both the trans plate and the 5th mount to ensure the trans sat square. Buy a quality kicker cover if it's a kick only bike, the S&S unit is very nice. Barring any of the above suggested points, ensure the kicker shaft to cover bushing fit isn't too loose or the shaft is bent - if fit is sloppy from cover to cover, replace the kicker shaft with a good one.

BuddhahoodVato
08-16-2017, 10:41 AM
BlackBetty, good job on detailing the haps. Stay down stud muffin.