PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead charging problem

53rigid
08-12-2017, 6:21 AM
OK, just finished building my ironhead. Everything works as it should except the charging circuit. I am not getting anything out of the regulator. New battery (recently load tested OK), new genny, new regulator and all new wiring. No shorts in system as the bike can sit for a week with no change to the voltage, but when the bike is running, it drains the battery. I have tested per the instructions in the Harley shop manual and it seems OK. I even took the genny and the regulator to the best alternator/generator shop in Minneapolis and he said it had 14.4 coming out of the regulator on their bench. I say OK, take it back install it in the bike, start it up and I get a spike occasionally around 5 volts. So I am thinking I have a bad ground on the regulator, and run a wire to a known good ground. Nothing. I pull the generator back out and verify I put the gear and slinger plate on right. yup. all good there. I even moved the 12 wire from the regulator right to the battery with no effect. I am at my wits end, any ideas?

Tattooo
08-12-2017, 7:18 AM
OK, just finished building my ironhead. Everything works as it should except the charging circuit. I am not getting anything out of the regulator. New battery (recently load tested OK), new genny, new regulator and all new wiring. No shorts in system as the bike can sit for a week with no change to the voltage, but when the bike is running, it drains the battery. I have tested per the instructions in the Harley shop manual and it seems OK. I even took the genny and the regulator to the best alternator/generator shop in Minneapolis and he said it had 14.4 coming out of the regulator on their bench. I say OK, take it back install it in the bike, start it up and I get a spike occasionally around 5 volts. So I am thinking I have a bad ground on the regulator, and run a wire to a known good ground. Nothing. I pull the generator back out and verify I put the gear and slinger plate on right. yup. all good there. I even moved the 12 wire from the regulator right to the battery with no effect. I am at my wits end, any ideas?

Did you polarize the genny after you installed everything????

Also just because the regulator is new doesn't mean it's working..... I'd rather use an old one myself....

53rigid
08-12-2017, 7:43 AM
yup. forgot to say I polarized it. Like I said, regulator is verified good by the generator shop.

edit. I will try polarizing again, because I cannot remember if I did after taking the genny out the second time.

Tattooo
08-12-2017, 8:05 AM
edit. I will try polarizing again, because I cannot remember if I did after taking the genny out the second time.

That's the only thing I can think of that would cause your problem if everything else it working.....