PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Sportster - Speedometer Delete Question

peteskipslegday
08-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Howdy -

First, I want to thank everyone here on the forum for the wealth of information that's amassed on here.

I'm currently trying to simplify my wiring on my '97 sporty. Currently on the list of things to do are as follows:

Remove Hand Controls
Remove Speedometer Sensor
Remove Speedometer
Create Bracket for Dummy Lights
Chop Rear Fender & Add New Taillight

I've successfully figured out solutions through the site on how to do everything EXCEPT delete the speedometer and frivolous wires. When it comes to reading wiring diagrams it might as well be sanskrit...sorry if this information exists elsewhere but there just isn't a response that I've read thus far to historical threads that gave me any insight. I appreciate any input in advance and many thanks.

Cheers,
Pete

70pelle
08-11-2017, 7:02 PM
You need a Factory Harley service manual. Why not just move the speedo to the left frt. side of the engine. Use a Auto Meter tach bracket to hold the speedo in place. A under $20.00 mod.

peteskipslegday
08-14-2017, 9:38 AM
I need to dig into my harness at some point ultimately and eliminate as much as i can, and the FSM is going to be helpful for when I inevitable get to the stripdown this winter. I have the speedometer currently side mounted just under the tank and behind the front left fork. Frankly, don't need a speedometer - my phone accurately gives me speedo for highways (and I rarely use it 80% of the time anyway). In the famous words of a local master mechanic, "Speedometers, are a luxury not a necessity."

Sky
08-14-2017, 6:54 PM
Simply unplug and unbolt the thing...
You're ditching the signals right?
Don't need a diagram, just physically trace the wires.

What dummy light do you even need?
That red Aladdin's lamp is the only one, really.
You'll hear the tappets if the oil press drops.
But that's only one wire and light to keep.

peteskipslegday
08-15-2017, 6:21 AM
Sky - Thanks. I'm spending some time tonight to ID which wires are which. I'm planning on keeping turn signals wires, just in case I want to add them in the near future. I need the red lamp light for sure.

I'll take some pictures so that my success/failure could be of use to others ha.