PDA

View Full Version : What drum brake is this ??

MIKESIERRA
08-09-2017, 6:37 PM
Picked up this old Akront wheel with this cool old chrome half drum brake. Looks like its a front wheel, and my best guess is that it came off a K model or a WL . After a closer look and its not exactly the same. Triumph? Sprinter? Almost looks like a larger size Hallcraft's. I've looked and looked and couldn't come up with the answer. Anybody?

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
08-10-2017, 2:19 AM
Looks like a very early BSA, they made some real small drum brakes like that (I call them pancake brakes) others call them single sided
But small bore bikes like early C10-C11-C12 ran those, also some trials bikes and scramblers. (Which would explain the rim)
Stock most ran a Dunlop or Jones rim, but I am betting it was relaced back in the day. Some really early Triumphs ran a
similar brake but I dont recall seeing any like that.
The problem is it could be early Ariel, Matchless-AJS or even a Villiers or similar bike. I have a 1947 Villiers powered Famous James bike with a similar brake,, but I am betting BSA.
Start looking at searches using Google images.

MIKESIERRA
08-10-2017, 7:23 PM
thanks Doug! the flat spool side and the bolts on the inside of the drum are the only thing that doesn't match up to anything. the only drums with the bolts going through them are rear brakes ..that i've seen. would it be wrong to find a 7 inch backing plate and shoes that fit and run it?

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
08-10-2017, 8:53 PM
Im not sure what to tell you, if you can find a brake plate that fits and you can make it all work with spacers, axle and your forks then I guess the answer is yes,.. Its is very possible you MIGHT find a brake plate off something completely different and still work,.

I will keep an eye out on wheels in my storage area and see if I can find anything similar just for grins,, but you should try and positively ID it which all I did was speculate based on experience with some of these,.,, but I am NOT sure I correctly ID'd your assy.

But within reason, all kinds of swaps are possible, I built custom Nortons with Tri-BSA OIF conical hubs (They look similar to Norton Manx) and used Kawasaki forks and front brakes on Triumph Bobbers as well as variety of 650 Triumphs, and looking at using a 68-70 Tr-BSA Twin leading shoe brake on a 1951 BSA,, Others have done these too...
check these out...See:
https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=11805.0 (Brake swaps on early bikes)
https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=8003.msg56265#msg56265 (Brake ID) Many other topics on there if you use search, same with the BritBike website as well. There is a couple good topics on relining old brake shoes and how to do it right as well