PDA

View Full Version : run/off switch

hound
08-09-2017, 1:35 PM
Is there any reason i need a run/off switch if I have a ignition switch and a starter button?
What does it really do?

My switch housing are all corruded and nasty looking and Im wanting to just clean them up. I dont have horn, blinkers and I was thinking of moving the hi/low switch to the toggle on the back of the nacelle that is meant for the passing lamps, which are removed. Then I would have no buttons on the handle bars.

My ironhead has no switches or bottons on the bars and it looks very clean. I just have an automotive style ignition/starter key on the side.

BuddhahoodVato
08-09-2017, 1:42 PM
that would be redundancy, simply put.

hound
08-09-2017, 2:17 PM
thats what I was thinking. I currently have a run/off switch and i just cant think of any reason to keep it, not sure if there was something I am not thinking about

DoomBuggy
08-09-2017, 3:20 PM
I've only had them on the dirt bikes and the Ultra. On the dirt bikes they saved my butt a few times when I dumped the bike on top of myself. On the dresser it seems redundant as the tank mounted switch is right there. Probably will not put on on the current project, but not positive yet.

tzienlee
08-09-2017, 3:22 PM
it's a damn handy switch to have,.... I was running a Magneto on one of my Harley's,....was giving it some heavy throttle action when I sucked into the carb a bolt that had come loose from holding the air filter on,...it jammed the butterfly wide open and left me with no way to kill the motor as I hadn't fitted a kill wire ............. I locked the bike up at over 70 in gear to stall the motor .... it worked but don't think I ave come closer to killing myself than then.......I always run a kill wire to an easy to get to place on the bars now as you cant always try to find an oddly places ignition switch keys when ya fighting a bike for ya life.............

chopperbob1313
08-15-2017, 11:52 AM
Never had anything but a toggle and a start button for the last 50 years..... It works.