PDA

View Full Version : Shovelhead start button wiring!!!

unluckyluke
08-09-2017, 8:50 AM
Reinstalling starter and starting solenoid I can't remember how to wire them. I have the solenoid one side hooked to the postive side of battery other side to the starter. Then the little wire from the solenoid to the push button. The other end of that to the positive side of the battery. When I push the button my solenoid kicks in but starter doesn't turn. What am I missing?

Tattooo
08-09-2017, 9:06 AM
What am I missing?

A fully charged battery??????

unluckyluke
08-09-2017, 9:48 AM
A fully charged battery??????

Not sure about that should be its a daily rider. When jumping the solenoid I can get the starter to spin and when pushing the button can get solenoid to jump out. But they should both do what they are doing But at the same time then it'd work!!!

farmall
08-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Check battery resting voltage with a meter. Always have a meter handy when working on vehicles.

Also recheck connections including grounds.

Always test with a fully charged battery. You can jump from a car so long as the car is not running. If car is running, little Harley regulator may suicide trying to regulate auto alternator output.

A weak battery can spin UNLOADED starter motors and cycle a solenoid, but that doesn't mean it will turn over the heavy load of a Harley engine.

unluckyluke
08-10-2017, 8:57 AM
Solved!!! You guys hit the nail on the head!

I took the solenoid off ( solenoid cover cracked) had to epoxy it. Terminal wire also twisted off so soldered and fixed it. Cleaned the inside, the contact plates and all. Tried it again and same problem! Went and got a car battery to jump it and wallah!!! It worked!!!

Weak battery was the culprit !!!

Battery volts on my new agm battery are only 9 volts. Kicked her on and checked the voltage battery is getting a charge of over 14 volts. How can my new agm battery be that low? I ride almost every day atleast half an hour

farmall
08-10-2017, 3:29 PM
How can my new agm battery be that low?

Test for drains. Disconnect negative battery terminal then put meter between it and ground cable.

Old worn or new shitty ignition switches can drain batteries as the internal contacts wear. They don't always fail as a dead short.

You can also charge the battery then leave it disconnected and check for resting voltage after several hours. Battery maker site should list it, or if not, ask their tech support but it normally should be around 12.5 volts or better.

Tattooo
08-10-2017, 4:27 PM
Solved!!! You guys hit the nail on the head!

Your welcome..........