PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying 86 Sportster electrical connector

RickG61
08-07-2017, 7:31 AM
OK, so I got this 86 1100 Sporty. I'm getting ready to have some pieces powder coated. I pulled the primary cover and the cam cover. The cam cover houses the sensor plate. Its a three wire connection that plugs in to the ignition module. The nifty factory manual, (yes I have one already, LOL) tells me that to remove the sensor from the cover, I need to remove the connector from the wires and pull the wires through the housing. I've messed with Deutsch and Molex connectors on some of my newer chit and on my cars, but this connector is new to me. The manual has its nifty line drawings showing me some pin connector tools, but unlike some of the newer manuals, does not say which, if either, tool is the correct one. My newer manuals go into more detail about which tool you need to do a job, this manual doesn't.

So, who has experience with this dog? Do the pins and sockets release like Deutsch or Molex, by sliding a little tube shaped tool around the O.D.? The Deutsch and Molex tools I already have do not have the correct I.D. to fit around this connectors pins, so I'll be picking up a few more of those type tools, but before I stand around all day jamming a tool into the connector and getting no where, because that's not how they work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have a plan B, but I'd like to fail at plan A first before jumping down the alphabet. Plan B is to cut the connectors off of both the sensor and the module and replacing them with a Deutsch or Molex, but then, that screws me if I ever needed to swap out a module quick and easy.

So here's pics of what I gots, and the page from the manual, that's really sorta worthless for this portion. Line 12. Lots of great detail there. LOL

I've tried searching the forum, but didn't find any threads about this connector. And Admin, if this is in the wrong spot, please move it to where it needs to be.

Thanks, Rick

Tattooo
08-07-2017, 1:55 PM
I don't thank that plug is serviceable...... It's made that way so it will seal..........

Salty
08-07-2017, 4:01 PM
That looks like either the regulator or stator wires, which connect to each other. Follow it back to source.
Cam cover side ignition pick up wires, which you'll have to cut to pull through nose cone, goes to ignition module.

Hope that helps.

RickG61
08-07-2017, 4:19 PM
Yeah, I was wondering if the pins/socket came out of rubber part or if it had to be cut. Manual wasn't real clear. If cut, that begs the question, what the hell did the stealerships do if they had to replace a sensor in the cam cover? They had to have some sort of plug to reinstall on the new one. It sure couldn't be installed with a big ole ungly plug on the end, and the other sensor end looks to have the wires epoxied in place.

I guess I'll be doing the cut off from both the sensor and the ignition module and replacing both ends with something more current and up to date. Damn. The bikes ONLY 31 years old. They should still have parts on the shelf. LOL Yes, that was said in jest. LOL

Thanks for the replies.

BadMonkeyMW
08-07-2017, 4:23 PM
Yeah, I was wondering if the pins/socket came out of rubber part or if it had to be cut. Manual wasn't real clear. If cut, that begs the question, what the hell did the stealerships do if they had to replace a sensor in the cam cover? They had to have some sort of plug to reinstall on the new one. It sure couldn't be installed with a big ole ungly plug on the end, and the other sensor end looks to have the wires epoxied in place.

I guess I'll be doing the cut off from both the sensor and the ignition module and replacing both ends with something more current and up to date. Damn. The bikes ONLY 31 years old. They should still have parts on the shelf. LOL Yes, that was said in jest. LOL

Thanks for the replies.

You can get those connectors out, but it's a bitch. The connector is for the ignition pick-up in the cam cover nose cone. The terminals have pretty beefy little ribs on them that make them tough to get out, but with a pick or a small flat blade screwdriver and some pretty strong pushing they will back out. A little WD-40 or silicone spray on the connector pins first will help them push out.

RickG61
08-07-2017, 4:26 PM
Well, I cracked open the old parts book. Didn't have that with me last night to look at. It did list a separate set of numbers for those ends. Not clear then if they cut them off and added new when servicing, or,,,,,,,, But wouldn't that mean that the pins had to come out, if you were able to put a new one on, you'd have to be able to get the pins back in there??

I guess I'll be the guinea pig here and see how it comes apart. Worst case scenario, I replace both ends with something new. Best case, it comes apart, and I'm suddenly an expert on 31 year old obsolete cheap ass rubber connectors. LOL

RickG61
08-07-2017, 4:29 PM
You can get those connectors out, but it's a bitch. The connector is for the ignition pick-up in the cam cover nose cone. The terminals have pretty beefy little ribs on them that make them tough to get out, but with a pick or a small flat blade screwdriver and some pretty strong pushing they will back out. A little WD-40 or silicone spray on the connector pins first will help them push out.

Yeah, I was typing while you were it looks like. I was wondering if its a tube style tool that slides in there and compresses those ribs so they slide out. I wheeled by Advance Auto today, they have this crappy little Lisle tool with 4 or 5 tubes of various sizes. Guess I'll grab one of those and give it a shot.

Thanks.