PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead pushrod seal issues

MotoArtsCollective1
08-05-2017, 10:16 PM
Well I've been searching and reading before I came here to ask trying to figure out what the problem might be I'm coming up short.

I recently adjusted the pushrods on my 73 sporty and when installing the upper covers I damaged the upper seals (first timer mistake). So I went to a local shop and picked up a seal kit (cork) today and installed them. I did some reading and got some good tips on making sure all the surfaces where super clean, skim coated the cork with grease, installed everything super carefully this time around. Felt super good about how smooth everything went together so I did an oil change and some fresh plugs, cleaned up and pushed the bike out side and started it up..

At first everything looked great but about a minute into running the bike i gave it a few revs and all off them pretty much started pissing oil at the same time. The back 2 more so than the fronts. Now I know cork seals aren't the best but i also know that they def work. I would have rather used the silicon seals but my local shop didn't have them in stock. At this point I'm thinking something else is definitely wrong.

My oil pressure is great, about 10psi at idle and goes right up to 40-45 when giving the bike some normal revs. I put just a hair over 3 quarts in the bag as I have an oil cooler.. I'm getting strong oil return to the bag but I am noticing that it's very airrated and not sure if that's normal. My tubes are definately installed correctly with the flared side up against the middle seal and the flat side down. I have the middle section stacked correctly from the top down in spring/washer/seal order..

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight or maybe point out something I'm missing because I have no idea why they would leak as bad as the are.. I checked each push rod on my surface plate and they all looked great, I checked for excessive tappet movement and they were all very solid.

Sorry for the long winded post but I'm trying to be as descriptive as possible. Anyone help a brotha out?

Tattooo
08-06-2017, 7:58 AM
There is nothing wrong with cork gaskets... Actually I like them much better on older bikes.... That's what they came with so why not put back what they came with???

Can you post a pic of where it's leaking????

MotoArtsCollective1
08-06-2017, 8:42 AM
It looks like they are leaking from the top seal on all of them but it's honestly hard to tell. Once they start leaking it gets pretty messy.. Basically oil is splashing out from behind the top clip.

Speaking of, the top clip just rest's on the face of the seal correct? The manual is vary vague pretty much saying " install upper pushrod cover "

Im a newbie to the sight, been a member for a while but never active. Can we post video? That would really show best what's happening

BuddhahoodVato
08-06-2017, 9:51 AM
Not to be disrespectful, but did you slide the inner tube up into the head, and then land the clip.
I had the same issue with my slab, finally changed out the top tubes. Check to make sure all the faces on the inner tubes are good, but if they are all leaking, you did something wrong. Recheck.
good luck.

MotoArtsCollective1
08-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Not to be disrespectful, but did you slide the inner tube up into the head, and then land the clip.
I had the same issue with my slab, finally changed out the top tubes. Check to make sure all the faces on the inner tubes are good, but if they are all leaking, you did something wrong. Recheck.
good luck.

Dude. Thank you. No disrespect at all, that's exactly what I didn't do. I'm still learning. Cheers man!

BuddhahoodVato
08-06-2017, 1:36 PM
Orale "Moto", no foul. My heartfelt suggestion is get a manual, because;
1] You will be chasing your ass all over the place,
2] You will save a ton of money,
But I digress, I applaud your balls/candor in acknowledging your oversight/omission, I do applaud that. Takes a mature stud muffin to fess up.
get a manual..

Tattooo
08-06-2017, 2:35 PM
What I'm wondering if I understand right.... How did you get the clip to lock in if the tube wasn't all the way up in the rocker hole??????

BuddhahoodVato
08-06-2017, 2:45 PM
Its easy, will sit in the well.

Tattooo
08-06-2017, 3:25 PM
Its easy, will sit in the well.

LOL I guess I'm lucky I've never done that..... Cool