PDA

View Full Version : regret kick only?

Clickjack
08-02-2017, 11:24 PM
I have a 79 flh-80. I hate the battery box, Id like to delete the starter / battery and run Kick only. My bike is tuned up, and kicks super easy every time (except once or twice that I can remember). Everytime I tell one of the old techs working in the local shops around here they tell me, I'll hate it, kick is terrible ect.

I get that it can suck. But do any of you regret deleteing the starter? I'm guessing it's harder in cold weather?

nuklhd
08-03-2017, 1:36 AM
tattoo should be getting with you shortly. :)

Fings369
08-03-2017, 2:50 AM
Don't delete shit, if you like kicking it kick it. but there really is no need to remove the starter etc its not like dropping 10lbs will actually reduce weight or anything...

SamHain
08-03-2017, 4:26 AM
I pulled mine. When I have it tuned good couldn't care less, when my sheer laziness combined with terrible tuning align I do a fine amount of swearing and kicking, get you warm on a cold morning, but it's 100+.
Felt like running open primary, but I like putting my foot up there, so I'll be closing it up with a non starter tin primary.
now my xr would be nice with a magic button, I always kill that thing in tricky places to kick it.

Tattooo
08-03-2017, 6:32 AM

LOL Why would I be doing that???? LOL I think the question is funny as hell.... LOL

farmall
08-03-2017, 8:23 AM
Take starter off with all its related parts.

Put starter in box.

If no like or knee gets fucked up one day, reinstall starter.

Do you look down at the starter while riding and find it offensive? Remove it.

Do you look at the starter by camera on a drone flying beside you and find it offensive? Remove it.

Do you look at the starter while parked and find it offensive? Remove it.

if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out.

A good rule with takeoff parts on a bike you expect to keep, is to keep the parts.

Either way I'd keep the large battery, unless you find it offensive. They have more limp-home range than small batteries.

When removing the starter drive housing from the inner primary, you may want a spare box end wrench or two to modify for clearance (flap discs work nicely) since it's tedious work. Put those with your starter. Cling wrap is nice for swaddling stored parts.

FredoSNR
08-03-2017, 2:53 PM
The only time I regret kick only is when I am troubleshooting something. I also suspect my motor is stroked, so it can be a pain to turn over. My buddies 68 kicks almost effortlessly. A carb with an accelerator pump will also help.

Clickjack
08-03-2017, 5:12 PM

I get that the old techs know what they are talking about. But they also have different tastes and don't even agree with each other on minor issues. And never with anything said here.

I'd like to clean the look up some. But I'm hanging on to it, out of fear I'll hate it as soon as it's the only option

DoomBuggy
08-03-2017, 5:33 PM
I've owned a kick start 69 xlch and now I'm on my second kick start Panhead. I have nothing but fond memories of the first two bikes. Even those days when I had to go back in the bar cause my leg was spent from trying to start the Sporty are fond memories. However, I am also getting to the point where I want to keep what is left of my knees. This Pan is going together kick only, but I have my eyes on two different retro-fit electric start units. When the time comes, 3 to 5 years from now, I will put one in. But I have to keep the tin primary, that is a must.

SamHain
08-03-2017, 5:33 PM
its no fuckin big deal. Lots of bikes are kick only without a e start option, or reasonable one. I've got one botched knee surgery which happens to be my shitty ass kickin leg, still do it. I'll feel like an idiot in 20 years regardless.

Tattooo
08-03-2017, 7:27 PM
its no fuckin big deal. Lots of bikes are kick only without a e start option

I agree, Hell I've had kick only bikes since the mid 70s........... WTF I don't see the reason for the question in the first place...... If you don't think you can handle kicking it and keeping it timed so it will crank when you need it to why do it..... Just be a puss and keep the button........ Problem solved......

Clickjack
08-03-2017, 11:11 PM
I agree, Hell I've had kick only bikes since the mid 70s........... WTF I don't see the reason for the question in the first place...... If you don't think you can handle kicking it and keeping it timed so it will crank when you need it to why do it..... Just be a puss and keep the button........ Problem solved......

Solid answer. I have a bad knee from a crash about 7 or so years ago. And most days kicking it, is fine.

Reason for the question? Wanted opinions

nuklhd
08-04-2017, 12:47 AM
if the batree hanging off the side doesn't look right maybe you could change a few things around. maybe an oil tank were the batree sits inside.

BadMonkeyMW
08-04-2017, 10:36 PM
It can be a pain in ass sometimes when it's cold or you're having a tuning issue, but when the bike is set up right it's a breeze.

Plus, you'll always be cooler than every bagger riding fag put together. Go for it.

hillcat
08-05-2017, 5:50 AM
Do it but hang on to stock parts to change again. My bike is on like its 4th variation and is getting close to how I want it.
Here is my theory of biker evolution. Pre-E. start was a time when you had to have a little skill. Mechanical knowledge, strength, co-ordination and timing. Now the E. start comes into play and every schmuck who can ride a bicycle and push a button wants a motorcycle to save on gas. Accident waiting to happen.

Tattooo
08-05-2017, 7:34 AM
Here is my theory of biker evolution. Pre-E. start was a time when you had to have a little skill. Mechanical knowledge, strength, co-ordination and timing. Now the E. start comes into play and every schmuck who can ride a bicycle and push a button wants a motorcycle to save on gas.

Back before I got my Street Glide and I only had kick bikes.... My saying was any girl can push a button..... They sure are nice for a change.....

Bbqbiker
08-05-2017, 7:52 AM
It can be a pain in ass sometimes when it's cold or you're having a tuning issue, but when the bike is set up right it's a breeze.

Plus, you'll always be cooler than every bagger riding fag put together. Go for it.

So I'm cool when I'm riding my chopper and then I turn into a fag when I hop on my bagger? Even with the old lady on the back? Or if she just camouflage? Is there a workaround for this I really don't want to be a fag on my bagger. Not that there's anything wrong with that :rolleyes:

Tattooo
08-05-2017, 10:40 AM
Is there a workaround for this I really don't want to be a fag on my bagger. Not that there's anything wrong with that

Hell I enjoy my Bagger...........

Bbqbiker
08-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Hell I enjoy my Bagger...........

Me too I'm working on mine right now lost my back brakes of got a new rear master cylinder and shocking the V twin part does not fit....

https://vgy.me/FSpNb2.jpg

Am I gay for working on a bagger or maybe just bi ??

Tattooo
08-05-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm working on mine right now lost my back brakes of got a new rear master cylinder and shocking the V twin part does not fit....

Yep like 90% of the time....... That's why I always say find a good used part if you can't rebuild what you got....... New parts suck on an old bike........

BadMonkeyMW
08-06-2017, 5:54 AM
You're definitely real confident in that cheap ass Harbor Freight bike lift to put that heavy black turd on it.

Tattooo
08-06-2017, 7:37 AM
You're definitely real confident in that cheap ass Harbor Freight bike lift to put that heavy black turd on it.

Yep I have one of those lifts and have had it for at least 10 years now I guess...I changed the front clamp as they are shit and good for nothing... I put my Street Glide on it with no problems....

Bbqbiker
08-06-2017, 7:57 AM
It works ok for my basic needs. $319 of cheap Chinese "steel" with a coupon!

Was looking at used lifts for a grand....this is fine more money saved for travel

Tattooo
08-06-2017, 8:04 AM

Was looking at used lifts for a grand....this is fine more money saved for travel

LOL Hell they were $199 when I bought mine.... They will work just fine as long as you put the big pin in and let the pressure off the lift so it's not keeping pressure on the pump.....

I also have a air over hydrolic lift... I don't think they make that one anymore??? It's even nicer as it came with the better clamp...

SamHain
08-06-2017, 9:31 AM
The jack blew on mine after a few years. I'll fix it as soon as I stop spendin all my money on bike parts

Tattooo
08-06-2017, 9:58 AM
The jack blew on mine after a few years.

Just curious.... Did you let the pressure off every time you used it????? You know slide the pin in and let it rest on the pin??? Or did you use the pin for safety reasons??

BadMonkeyMW
08-06-2017, 10:42 AM

It's all good if it does what you need. I had one in my shop for awhile as a backup to my two pro air lifts, but I sold it quite a while back.

bobscogin
08-06-2017, 11:03 AM
But do any of you regret deleteing the starter?

You'll find that the degree of regret is directly proportional to your age, and increases as you get older.

Bob

Tattooo
08-06-2017, 11:32 AM
You'll find that the degree of regret is directly proportional to your age, and increases as you get older.

Bob

I feel your pain...... A little more every month..........

SamHain
08-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Just curious.... Did you let the pressure off every time you used it????? You know slide the pin in and let it rest on the pin??? Or did you use the pin for safety reasons??

Always let it down on the pin. The pump by design is worked at an angle, if tolerances are off it will wear out in no time. Most bottle jacks have a linkage to keep the pump actuating parallel, of course not these.

Tattooo
08-06-2017, 12:17 PM
Always let it down on the pin. The pump by design is worked at an angle, if tolerances are off it will wear out in no time. Most bottle jacks have a linkage to keep the pump actuating parallel, of course not these.

Got ya, That makes since..... I guess I've been damn lucky...........

DoomBuggy
08-06-2017, 12:23 PM
I just bought another of these HF tables. For under $200 I just could not say no. The first one had a bad jack when I brought it home, but they shipped me a new one within a week. This one seems to work fine.

As is with all recent purchases, I don't make a living with this stuff so I can afford to cheap out a little. If I WAS making a living building bikes I would invest in a really nice table.

I would not mind finding a better wheel lock, but it is not critical at this point. As someone else mentioned, more money for bike parts.

Whoremonger
08-06-2017, 12:46 PM
LOL Hell they were $199 when I bought mine.... They will work just fine as long as you put the big pin in and let the pressure off the lift so it's not keeping pressure on the pump.....

I also have a air over hydrolic lift... I don't think they make that one anymore??? It's even nicer as it came with the better clamp...

I have an air over oil too. Its made by BESTWAY LIFT. They are located in compton. Bought mine off of LOS ANGELES HARLEY DAVIDSON when they closed their doors. Its a single cylinder with a 2'x2' steel plate on top.goes about 4' off the ground. Perfect working height. Makes wrenching a joy.i think Bestway is still in business. I went to the factory a couple of years ago for a new gasket. These lifts are indestructable.

Cory
08-06-2017, 3:29 PM
I have a 79 flh-80. I hate the battery box, Id like to delete the starter / battery and run Kick only. My bike is tuned up, and kicks super easy every time (except once or twice that I can remember). Everytime I tell one of the old techs working in the local shops around here they tell me, I'll hate it, kick is terrible ect.

I get that it can suck. But do any of you regret deleteing the starter? I'm guessing it's harder in cold weather?

I have two kick only bikes. One an open belt chopper and a stockish 72 Shovelhead. The stock starter and solenoid on my Shovel were never a great design. So I ditched that shit and shaved the primary cover. Never regretted it once.

Fuck these old 'techs'. They don't get it.

What did people do prior to E start?

Plus the most important part ... Anyone can push a button. E start starts a motor. Kick starting a bike is man bringing machine to life. You put some fuckin ass in to it, and bring that bitch to life!

And.... anyone that rides a kick only machine, has got my respect.

bobscogin
08-06-2017, 5:00 PM
What did people do prior to E start?

This old tech gets it. You asked what we did before electric start? We quit riding when we got arthritic, had knee/ankle problems, and lost some stamina. I've kicked started motorcycles for 50+ years, but at the age of 68, I really appreciate electric start. If that makes me less of a rider than you, so be it, but given the choice of giving up bikes or going to electric start, I'll keep riding a push button bike and don't owe an apology to anyone for it.

Bob

Tattooo
08-06-2017, 5:09 PM

And.... anyone that rides a kick only machine, has got my respect.

I doubt if you were talking about all old techs???? Just the doubters....

I'm an OLD tech and I like and still have several kick only bikes..... LOL Hell I have one bike/Pan that I can still crank with my arm so as long as I can drag myself to the bike I can still crank it... LOL Well as long as I'm strong enough.... LOL

47str8leg
08-06-2017, 6:06 PM
I guess since 2003 ( riding since about 1990) I haven't had that option, I've never missed it .

Cory
08-06-2017, 7:10 PM
Sorry Bob. I meant these particular techs. I meant no disrespect to anyone who doesn't or can't kick a bike over. It's not for everyone, but it seems to be for me.
I've had (left) knee surgery this spring so I know what that shit is like. That time hasnt come for me yet, so I'll hoof em over until I can't.

I guess what I'm saying is if you can do it, do it to it.

Yup Tattooo. Just the doubters/haters ☺

bobscogin
08-06-2017, 9:07 PM
Sorry Bob. I meant these particular techs. I meant no disrespect to anyone who doesn't or can't kick a bike over.

Not to worry. No offense taken. It's all good. I still kick my old Triumphs at 68 years old simply because I don't have an option. Of course, on my 2008 Bonneville and '96 Dyna, I just push the button.

Bob

Bbqbiker
08-07-2017, 8:14 AM
Yes I lowered my cheap ass lift with the bagger on it down onto the retaining rod to take some pressure off the pump and seems stable. Thanks to Taiwan Ted's non-fitting rear master cylinder the bikes going to sit there for a week so if I go into the shop and it's collapsed oh well fuck me again for buying Chinese junk.

On the kicker stuff let's see my knuckle project is a kicker my Panhead project is a kicker my running Shovel is a kicker & my 98 road king with the 124 is obviously pushbutton I'm 5'8"and about pounds kind of stocky so kicking is pretty much a breeze I just let my 240lbs of juicy manfat fly and let gravity do the work. Pa Pow works every time. When I whore the 74 inch flat head motor away from Davetunz add that to the stable of kicker bikes...

r2d2u2
08-07-2017, 2:53 PM
BBQ... Good to see you didn't forget to mention your BFF Davetunz... here we go, hold on lemme get a beer!:clap for you:

Bbqbiker
08-07-2017, 7:40 PM
BBQ... Good to see you didn't forget to mention your BFF Davetunz... here we go, hold on lemme get a beer!:clap for you:

Glad your paying attention! When queerbait gaytune gets hardup for $$$ I'll swoop in with my Captain Lowball spandex suit on and grab that flathead...Dave will have enough $$ to put another so so paint job on his Knuckle then park in front of Applebee's' and hope people notice him......