PDA

View Full Version : Special Construction in Pennsylvania & YOUR OWN THOUGHTS

Gordo
08-01-2017, 8:56 PM
Here's the quick background before my questions:

-In 2001 my buddy found and bought a 72 Shovel motor, 78 Trans, and a late 90s Paughco frame to build a bike
-It was all a legit purchase, nothing sketchy
-He then built the bike, got it through enhanced inspection etc
-Titled and reg in 2002 as a 2002 Special Construction in PA, PA issued a VIN distinct from frame or motor, all legit
-In 2010 I bought the bike
-We both tore his house apart but couldn't find title so we did bill of sale
-I registered in PA and applied for lost title
-PA DMV handed me a registration card in person for a '1976 Special Construction' though there isn't a single 1976 component on bike
-I never obtained a sensible explanation for this but fuck it, I had a bike that needed riding and was legal though the year didn't make sense
-I then also got a title from PA and it said 1976 SPCN even though it still had SPCN VIN as generated in 2002. Again odd...but I just wanted to go ride.

-7 years pass and now I've decided to sell bike
-Interested buyer from out of state inquires and assures me the title is clearly fake and/or bike is stolen since PA SPCN vin doesn't correlate to frame/motor and that any buyer will have it impounded, the Feds are coming, I'm going to jail blah blah blah

Questions
1. I know SPCN isn't ideal but has anyone in PA ever seen a year assigned to a SPCN that seems to make no sense? Assuming I can correct it back to 2002 (what original title showed) should I even bother?

2. I'd like to sell the bike and though every state is different, I don't want to see an out of state buyer run into some issue. Is there anything I can do to see that a buyer is assured they won't deal with shit in their home state?

3. I bought the bike knowing that the nature of selling a SPCN is not ideal...but given these facts, is it really that shitty to a buyer?

Thanks!

farmall
08-02-2017, 10:08 AM
SPCN buyers should know their shit and if no like, walk away. If they want an original stock machine with a correct title they shouldn't even look at it. Buyers are often delusional. The ranting sort strikes me as an old stupid braindead fuck I wouldn't want to deal with anyway. Mental illness isn't treatable except by shotgun mouthwash.

You could part it out, likely for more money, and sell the title with the frame. Since it's post-1970 the title passes with frame.

Take a video of running engine or leave in frame until a buyer shows up. It's all about the money so get the money.

Someone buying just the frame with SPCN title should have a clue. That number is versatile since it could be used to title a different frame or a completely different motorcycle. If I had that title and frame or neck I'd keep them for myself and off the rest of the parts. I keep an eye out for old, cheap special construction machines to buy for the title but they are few and far between in my area.

Your DMV questions are best answered in person by a DMV inspector or supervisor who will be able to reference chapter and verse of law. Don't play phone tag and do be sweet, because customer skills matter. You could bring clear pics of the motorcycle as visual aids.

DoomBuggy
08-02-2017, 10:53 AM
I keep an eye out for old, cheap special construction machines to buy for the title but they are few and far between in my area.

Dropme a line my friend, we might be able to help each other out

farmall
08-02-2017, 12:45 PM
PM sent.

Gordo
08-02-2017, 7:20 PM
Farmall-
Thanks man. That's sort of what I thought.

It's frustrating because I know my buddy didn't buy stolen shit; I know his title was good; I know my title is good...just not sure why DMV gave me a year of 1976 when my buddy was originally given a year of 2002 (title date).

So is a SPCN titled bike more appealing as a 1976 or 2002? I ask because I don't see why I can't retitle as a 2002 since that's what it was originally titled as (and nothing has changed).

Tattooo
08-02-2017, 8:35 PM
So is a SPCN titled bike more appealing as a 1976 or 2002? I ask because I don't see why I can't retitle as a 2002 since that's what it was originally titled as (and nothing has changed).

I would think that a 76 would have cheaper taxes and insurance among other things..... Also I would really think it through before I tried to change things..... And it's not worth anymore money either year because it's a special const.......

With that said^^^^^^^^^ I'll leave that as I only read the above then I read your first post......

So... You have a mess... Why can you title it as a 2002????? To use your words they gave me a 1976 Special Construction' though there isn't a single 1976 component on bike .... Well there is nothing that is a 2002 either...... You have a mess.....

I think I would leave well enough alone........

Gordo
08-02-2017, 9:01 PM
But that's PA for you. Unless I'm missing something, PA typically titles a SPCN as the year of the title...so a SPCN PA title year is never going to match the year of frame or motor. The wrinkle in my situation is that in 2010 I was given a 1976 title instead of a 2002 title (year of original title). My inclination is to leave it.

If someone wants to buy this in PA it's a non issue. But I'm just trying to gauge how much of a problem this poses for any out of state buyer. I would tell any buyer to make sure it will all work in their state...but don't want to sell them something that had a glitch in the title by PA DMV in the first place that I could have possibly sorted.

Aren't SPCN bikes always a bit of a pain in the ass for any out of state buyer?

bluesrock
08-03-2017, 6:14 AM
Where are you in PA? Do you have a sale ad anywhere I could look at?

I'm in Pittsburgh

Gordo
08-03-2017, 6:24 AM
Here's a link, thanks:

http://www.chopcult.com/Gordo/classifieds/144716/

I have reduced price to 11k OBO

Photos and vids on Instagram: 1972Shovelhead